A clown takes a pratfall - Should have been wearing a helmet....

GaryvdM

sorry I disagree with you - in an ideal world you are correct...but..we not in an ideal world.. that cyclist drives aggressively and not defensively - and then gets uptight when a motorist does something wrong - which all motorists do - so instead of anticipating they will do something wrong by being defensive he swears and shouts and chases them down.

In my book its the same as driving your car - you can swear and shout and speed up to a car to tell them they did something wrong - you gain absolutely nothing! - or you can breathe - turn up the music a little bit and focus on keeping yourself alive for your families sake

Yes, I see your point. You are one of those that do nothing. Keep calm and hand over your bike to the hi-jacker. Some of use will not. But that why we are allowed to have different point of view.

I find it self-rightious that you think YOUR way is the right way. 

This cyclist is not asking you to make a difference or get involved. But you think it is ok to judge him?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UK highway code is different SA road laws, in that in the UK there is no law saying that a cyclist must keep left like in SA, and many UK transport organisations make the recommendation that cyclist take the primary position in the lane when it would be unsafe for a motorist to overtake.

Agree.

Agreed, but where there is a cycle lane then the cyclist must make use of it as per the law, but unfortunately you still get cyclists who believe the lane is not for them

Yes, I see your point. You are one of those that do nothing. Keep calm and hand over your bike to the hi-jacker. Some of use will not. But that why we are allowed to have different point of view.

I find it self-rightious that you think YOUR way is the right way. 

This cyclist is not asking you to make a difference or get involved. But you think it is ok to judge him?

when did hijacking come into the equation - we are talking about cycling on the road - hijacking is a completely different kettle of fish - BUT - by cycling defensively you have a better chance of avoiding a hijacking as opposed to cycling aggressively

I never said my thinking is right - I just said I disagree with you - i.e. it is MY opinion

Thirdly - the moment that cyclist put his video out on youtube - he asked the world to judge who he is - now I dont like to judge people - but I also dont like to make opinion on one bit of evidence either. This cyclist has enough videos uploaded for me to come to this conclusion - in the original viral video - both the motorist and the cyclists behaved liked prats in MY opinion

I also like being able to tell the drivers RE their actions if they nearly took me out.

I was recently crossing on a heavily used cycle/pedestrian crossing with a red light for traffic when a VW driver comes to a stop and then just flipping accelerates over the crossing missing my front wheel.

Saw the car pull over at a loading only bay, and decided to tell the driver that he/she nearly took me out. Get to the car and I ask the lady (First time I knew the gender of the driver) if she saw me. Her response was "can you see I am distressed and in a hurry and that I am late" ................................ yes, that was her excuse, then she became very vocal and abuse in her language whilst walking down the street. So I did the only thing one could expect, kept my side clean RE language or any abusive comments and kept jibing her :) ...needless to say she came across as less of a lady.

I know the type too well. Male drivers also seem to have this attitude. However My closest calls have been trucks and buses brushing past a person, but also most likely because of oncoming traffic. I have chatted to a few in the past and asked very nicely just to consider the guy on the bicycle because if they not aware they actually past cm  away etc etc. Most heavy vehicle drivers seem to understand, but a driver in a car will always get upset. Must be small vehicle syndrome

Agreed, but where there is a cycle lane then the cyclist must make use of it as per the law, but unfortunately you still get cyclists who believe the lane is not for them

Really?

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Not sure how this relate to the video anyway, because there was no cycle lane where the incident happened.

What has a cycle lane got to the with the post that you are replying to?

Thirdly - the moment that cyclist put his video out on youtube - he asked the world to judge who he is - now I dont like to judge people - but I also dont like to make opinion on one bit of evidence either. This cyclist has enough videos uploaded for me to come to this conclusion - in the original viral video - both the motorist and the cyclists behaved liked prats in MY opinion

Ummm  do you see the irony in this? He posted a vid on youtube - that's all - you CHOSE to judge him (even though you don't like judgin people).

Meh - this altercation - much like this thread and most of the bickering on thehub is about causing friction instead of getting along. Nobody wants to be wrong - everybody wants to be right and/or have their own rights be more important than the next person's rights.

Crazy innit?

when did hijacking come into the equation - we are talking about cycling on the road - hijacking is a completely different kettle of fish - BUT - by cycling defensively you have a better chance of avoiding a hijacking as opposed to cycling aggressively

I never said my thinking is right - I just said I disagree with you - i.e. it is MY opinion

Glad to know it is you opinion....I ride aggressively since defensively has not worked...see we have different opinions.

Really?

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Not sure how this relate to the video anyway, because there was no cycle lane where the incident happened.

Wait I am confused. Your link is for cycle lanes in the UK. I was referring to lanes in South Africa. It was discussed on the hub before and there is a link somewhere. Unless I am mistaken

This is quite funny, but to add to this debate, I think it just made the driver a worse enemy towards cyclists. The next cyclists might bear the brunt of this guys recklessness.

I also had my fair share of scary calls, but I believe it is best to stay out of harms way and just keep on cycling.

What if you chase after the guy and it's some angry bouncer on steroids that beats the living daylights out of you? or even worse het gets out with a gun?

You can chase after and have an argument with a mature, civilized and reasonable person, but in SA I'm afraid these are by far in the minority.

You are taking a chance with the odds stacked against you. It is just not worth it.

What has a cycle lane got to the with the post that you are replying to?

in reference to its not the law to keep left, but it is law to use the cycle lane

Wait I am confused. Your link is for cycle lanes in the UK. I was referring to lanes in South Africa. It was discussed on the hub before and there is a link somewhere. Unless I am mistaken

Apologises. I thought you were talk about UK highway code.

Ummm  do you see the irony in this? He posted a vid on youtube - that's all - you CHOSE to judge him (even though you don't like judgin people).

Meh - this altercation - much like this thread and most of the bickering on thehub is about causing friction instead of getting along. Nobody wants to be wrong - everybody wants to be right and/or have their own rights be more important than the next person's rights.

Crazy innit?

thats why i said it - that I dont like to judge - but sometimes you must - or in fact - its in our DNA - we do it instinctively regardless of if we want to or not

Glad to know it is you opinion....I ride aggressively since defensively has not worked...see we have different opinions.

I decided long ago  - primarily when someone tried to punch me after he cornered me and forced me to stop when I politely  questioned his driving abilities - that I would rather be more aware - cycle (and drive) defensively and avoid confrontation and/or subsequent accidents than go and seek them out. That cyclist would not last 1 month with that attitude in this country (sad as it is) - and for the record - I have lost a cousin in London who was killed by a red bus - so yes I am fully aware of the implications of being a cyclist on the road in both South African and England

It is crazy out there. People are so busy being in a hurry that no one just chills and observes. I try to do this. Its scary what you see in traffic, people are like get out of the way, i am coming thru etc. They dont care about other road users, and to chase someone down these days is looking for trouble

This is quite funny, but to add to this debate, I think it just made the driver a worse enemy towards cyclists. The next cyclists might bear the brunt of this guys recklessness.

Sadly I don't think there is a right answer to the rider/driver altercation. I've tooted my hooter a few times at friends on bikes only to be met with middle finger salutes until they recgonise me - I've also tried to ask/beg/instruct a few drivers when they drive badly only to be met with the usual you don't pay tax/I'll drive over you/who the fridgemagnet do you think you are crapola.

Very very few altercations end with both parties learning something...

Sadly I don't think there is a right answer to the rider/driver altercation. I've tooted my hooter a few times at friends on bikes only to be met with middle finger salutes until they recgonise me - I've also tried to ask/beg/instruct a few drivers when they drive badly only to be met with the usual you don't pay tax/I'll drive over you/who the fridgemagnet do you think you are crapola.

Very very few altercations end with both parties learning something...

they must feel like right tonsils when they see its you

Archived