Magura fork and lockout compatibility

travdut

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I have German made Magura Durin R100 forks with Magura lockout. The Magura lockout is not working properly so I would like to replace it. Can I put a Rockshox Pushloc or any other branded lockout on the Magura fork or not?

Thanks.
Travis Dutton.

I am not clear if it is the lockout itself that is not working or the cable mechanism. If you manually shift the top cap to the lockout position does it lock?

I am not clear if it is the lockout itself that is not working or the cable mechanism. If you manually shift the top cap to the lockout position does it lock?

Yes it does lock but it does not unlock when I release it. I have to manually turn the knob with my hands to unlock it.

Take the cable mech off and see if the lock turns and lock and unlock

Maybe you just have some dust on the mech. My fork does the same, and if I "unlock" I sometimes have to "lift" the front wheel and then it turns.

Every time this starts to happen I take the locking mech of, clean it and install a new cable all is well for a while until the grit gets in there again.

I have also seen the actual locking lever thing gets worn and sticks. then all you need is a new lever part. Or some lube (very little) at the right spot on the lever mech to make everything smooth again. Do clean the lever part well before you lube it, and by lube I mean half a drop of oil or a tine but of grease where the sliding happens.

The knob is working fine. It's just the remote which locks it. I can lock the fork with the remote, but when I unlock the fork with the remote, the cap does not shift automatically into place, I have to do it manually. It's as if the cable gets jammed or is not flowing smoothly. Qlapost-80026-1438843536,1429.jpg

Cap while unlocked.

post-80026-1438843584,7756.jpg

Remote while unlocked.

post-80026-1438843627,7419.jpg

Cap while locked

post-80026-1438843673,0088.jpg

Remote while locked.

post-80026-1438843716,5839.jpg

Release button pressed, lever not reacting.

post-80026-1438843766,7718.jpg

Looking at that, you need a new cable and housing

That bend from the lever mech to the housing is not good. Rather than use that fancy cable housing, get a normal gear shift housing from LBS and new gear shift cable and install

That cable looks very old? Looks like it broke of also at the "button" thingy? You want some cable going past that bolt and put a nice endcap on it

Looking at that, you need a new cable and housing

That bend from the lever mech to the housing is not good. Rather than use that fancy cable housing, get a normal gear shift housing from LBS and new gear shift cable and install

That cable looks very old? Looks like it broke of also at the "button" thingy? You want some cable going past that bolt and put a nice endcap on it

The cable is quite old. On the cap, there is a small slit where one can tuck the cable in so that it doesn't look scruffy.

Thanks a lot.

Troubleshooting guide as follows:

1. Disconnect cable, see if top cap springs back to unlocked position freely when released. If yes -

2. Replace cable and housing. Decent lined gear cable outer, Shimano, Jagwire etc. If it's still sticky -

3. Disassemble, clean and inspect the lever. If it's scratched on the bushing surfaces, replace. If not, reassemble. Don't lube it, anything you put on there will just attract dust.

If none of these work, replace remote and weep quietly at the hole it leaves in your wallet.

Troubleshooting guide as follows:

1. Disconnect cable, see if top cap springs back to unlocked position freely when released. If yes -

2. Replace cable and housing. Decent lined gear cable outer, Shimano, Jagwire etc. If it's still sticky -

3. Disassemble, clean and inspect the lever. If it's scratched on the bushing surfaces, replace. If not, reassemble. Don't lube it, anything you put on there will just attract dust.

If none of these work, replace remote and weep quietly at the hole it leaves in your wallet.

You can rule out if it is the cable / lever by removing the cable and check if you can turn the lockout and if it jumps back

WRT to the lever, most of them have a ceramic cam on the inside and they wear away causing a little "bump" that the causes the other part to struggle to clear, so can file it down and put half a drop of lube there. As in it is old now and you need to look after it on a regular basis.

I dont see why he needs to replace the lockout (and have a hole in the wallet) when he clearly states that the compression lock seems to work fine?

You can rule out if it is the cable / lever by removing the cable and check if you can turn the lockout and if it jumps back

WRT to the lever, most of them have a ceramic cam on the inside and they wear away causing a little "bump" that the causes the other part to struggle to clear, so can file it down and put half a drop of lube there. As in it is old now and you need to look after it on a regular basis.

I dont see why he needs to replace the lockout (and have a hole in the wallet) when he clearly states that the compression lock seems to work fine?

REMOTE, niner. Replace the remote...

REMOTE, niner. Replace the remote...

Remote includes the whole assembly most of the time, hence the expense. The lever is generally not that expensive and there you could use just about any lever that has a similar cable pull

I am pretty sure that your problem lies at the point where the cable comes out. The cable it more than likely bend there and causing it to stick.post-25686-0-47508100-1438848786_thumb.jpg

Cables need to have "flow" if we make them too short the tight bend caused makes for higher resistance in the cable and less efficiency.

My Trance looks like it has been pulled out of a pot of spaghetti.

Archived