From 1x10 - 36t to 1x10 - 40t

JI Fourie

Guys I'm running a 34t Rapide in front and a 42t Rapide at the back. I removed the 15t and 17t cogs and replaced it with a 16t Wolftooth cog. Shifting smoothly everywhere but having problems going into and out of the 16t. It is because of the different pick up on the Wolftooth? The original cassette is a Shimano SLX.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my Tallboy, so will heed to the advice on the full suss you've given.

It's not likely i'll shift past the 34 at the back whilst still in the 40 in front, but brain fade is a real thing...

I know that this is a 1x10 thread, but I'm not going to be running my setup as 1x.

With the current 38/26 XT crankset up front, and an 11/36 cassette, I still find that in a race, when my legs are either poked from the 1st 60km of going hell for leather, or if I'd like to spin a slightly easier gear to save my legs a bit more up a climb, the 38/36 juust isn't tall enough.

Got a sweet deal on that XTR crankset, and it's a 40/28. Gonna mate that up to the Praxis cassette, some XTR shifters, and a long cage XTR rear derailleur. 

My question is... Chain length... How do I determine what's best...?

Wrap it around both 40's without going through the derailleur and add 2 links...?

Skud my kop ........

Guys I'm running a 34t Rapide in front and a 42t Rapide at the back. I removed the 15t and 17t cogs and replaced it with a 16t Wolftooth cog. Shifting smoothly everywhere but having problems going into and out of the 16t. It is because of the different pick up on the Wolftooth? The original cassette is a Shimano SLX.

I feel your pain .... I just live with it.

but can you use that XT 11 speed cassette on a normal 10 speed hub and will it work with an SLX crank

Yes to both

Did you put the 16t on the right way around and do the shift ramps line up with the other cogs? Edited by JXV

Just ordered from my LBS the praxis, it seems like the best option as it was designed to be a 10 speed cassette with a large cog so the pickup will be smooth with shifts.

Soon looking forward [emoji3][emoji48] 11-40 34NW

See the guys posting about the cassettes here, you don't need an expensive cassette. The single add-ons work fine. I use the Kalbo one. My biggest issue with the setup is chain slap with the SRAM X7 derailleur, that is why a clutch derailleur should be used. However, the X7 is OK.

Also when I fitted the 40 tooth, the width of it increases the cassette width very slightly and I overtightened the cassette. This wrecked the freewheel body. I use a cheaper Shimano 11/36 cassette where I had to cut the pins to remove the 17 / 15 cogs to replace with the 16. Each cog on my cassette is now separated, no problems so far. I don't have any issues with the 16 t (also Kalbo), you don't notice it.