Leaking tyre

mxjunke

Hi Guys

I have fitted a new Maxxis Ikon tyre to the rear wheel. The tyre has Stans sealant in it, Abourt 100-150ml of sealant. The tyre was seated properly onto the rim but is leaking/seeping sealant at the bead. It slowly leaks out but the tyre doesn't lose any air. The tyre is the UST version and I have used them before with no problems.

Any ideas out there as to what could be the problem? 

Hi Guys

I have fitted a new Maxxis Ikon tyre to the rear wheel. The tyre has Stans sealant in it, Abourt 100-150ml of sealant. The tyre was seated properly onto the rim but is leaking/seeping sealant at the bead. It slowly leaks out but the tyre doesn't lose any air. The tyre is the UST version and I have used them before with no problems.

Any ideas out there as to what could be the problem? 

mmmm at the bead you say, are you sure the tyre seated properly...did you use plenty of soapy water to aid the "pop"

If there is a leak at the valve, 9/10 times its the tape that got compromised when you fitted the tyre withe the levers.

Pump to 3 bar and spin it around to spread sealant. Maybe ride a short distance on it to help seat the bead. Leave at high pressure overnight and release extra air to normal pressure before riding

Thanks for all the comments guys. 

The leaking is not specifically at the valve. Its at different spots on both sides of the tyre. I did pump it to over 3 bar and spun the wheel vertically and horizontally. The tyre seated properly like I have done it before. I used plenty of sealant. 

Thanks for all the comments guys. 

The leaking is not specifically at the valve. Its at different spots on both sides of the tyre. I did pump it to over 3 bar and spun the wheel vertically and horizontally. The tyre seated properly like I have done it before. I used plenty of sealant. 

Did you go for a ride? 

So......there could be some fault in the tyre or a bit of dirt got caught between bead and rim or maybe a crack in the rim?

I haven't yet. 

Pump it nice and hard and go for a ride around the block should sort it out, I have always had to do that. 

The sealant is forming an airtight seal between the tire & rim. Just keep pumping it up and it will eventually be airtight.

I mounted continentals to stans flow on friday, had seeping around most of the wheel. Had to inflate the tires a couple of times since then - but it's keeping pressure better now.

If you ever break the bead you'll see the build up of sealant that forms around it.

Ride it so it gets into all the gaps. the ride will also help 'adjust' the seating and fitment not too mention the sidewall seals.

Thanks guys. First time I have had this problem. The rim isn't cracked I replaced the tyre that was on because of the sidewall cut and that running perfectly before the cut, plus the bike is only 3 weeks old so there isnt even build up of sealant on the rim beads. I will ride it first and see what happens, otherwise I think the sealant that I used might be a bit old and have lost some sealing ability. 

Hey guys.

I'm having a similar problem. Converted my Conti XKing Protections to tubeless yesterday and the sidewalls are leaking like sieves. Took the bike for a ride and in 3km's had to pump the tyres 4 times. Got home and washed the bike and you can see thousands of bubbles on the side walls. From 3 bar to flat in 30 minutes. Tyres have about 250 km's on them.

Are they poked as far as tubeless goes or is there a solution?

Hey guys.

I'm having a similar problem. Converted my Conti XKing Protections to tubeless yesterday and the sidewalls are leaking like sieves. Took the bike for a ride and in 3km's had to pump the tyres 4 times. Got home and washed the bike and you can see thousands of bubbles on the side walls. From 3 bar to flat in 30 minutes. Tyres have about 250 km's on them.

Are they poked as far as tubeless goes or is there a solution?

protections leak - no one knows why.

follow the procedure in the video (from 4 min onward) do the bucket thing for about half a day, turning it every hour or so.

once sealed, do not wash/scrub your tires with a brush, just a wipe down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCun_ZXTPog

Are they tubeless specific tyres?

Ja, says so on the sidewall. To be honest, I've converted even "non-tubeless" before and not seen this amount of sidewall leaks. Each wheel has about 100ml of sealant in.

Archived