Leaking tyre

mxjunke

protections leak - no one knows why.

follow the procedure in the video (from 4 min onward) do the bucket thing for about half a day, turning it every hour or so.

once sealed, do not wash/scrub your tires with a brush, just a wipe down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCun_ZXTPog

Thanks for this, will give it a shot and see what happens

I did the conversion for a mates Trail Kings without any issues what so ever.

Go figure.

That's not good news for Conti users. Personally I use the Maxxis or Vittoria tyres and no problems there. 

I've had the leak issue with the last 4 sets of conti protections I fitted (mix of X, race and mountain king). I struggled the most with the Xkings

I couldn't believe how much they were leaking, it looked and sounded like water boiling.

At least I know I am not alone. We should start a Conti support group.

Hey guys.

I'm having a similar problem. Converted my Conti XKing Protections to tubeless yesterday and the sidewalls are leaking like sieves. Took the bike for a ride and in 3km's had to pump the tyres 4 times. Got home and washed the bike and you can see thousands of bubbles on the side walls. From 3 bar to flat in 30 minutes. Tyres have about 250 km's on them.

Are they poked as far as tubeless goes or is there a solution?

Check your sealant - I changed and it sealed. Was using a thicker sealant (oko) and wouldn't seal the sidewall

I've had the leak issue with the last 4 sets of conti protections I fitted (mix of X, race and mountain king). I struggled the most with the Xkings

I also struggled with a pair of X-Kings. Leaked badly when first fitted.

Check your sealant - I changed and it sealed. Was using a thicker sealant (oko) and wouldn't seal the sidewall

Makes sense. If I don't come right in the next day or 2 will give it a go. Sealants are water based, so can I just thin it out with water?

Hey all, just a quick updated.

The X Kings took 2 rides to settle down and are now holding pressure. Thanks for all the advise. Turns out it only needed patience and a few revolutions.

• 9 months later...

Going to piggyback on this thread instead of starting a new one. Here the situation: a while back my chainstay broke and on a muddy ride the mud/chainstay rubbed against the tyre hope that makes sense).

This wore the side of the tyre (Onza Canis) a bit and since then, sealent slowly leaks through. Never had this before so its not a fault in the tyre as some have reported.

I have also noticed some leaking on the tyre by the tread. It seems to be holding air but does over a few days loose some air. I also have two plug in it.

Sooo..my question is should i just top up the sealant and ride till it wares out as there is plenty life left OR....i have another set of spare wheels with Mountain king 2.4 tyres also in good nick, should i exchange and keep the Canis on the spare set? What about rolling resistance and all that stuffs?

post-57045-0-07829500-1466143412_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-25238200-1466143430_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-05904300-1466143449_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-07363900-1466143472_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-00465400-1466143495_thumb.jpg

The seepage on your tire is minimal, I have tires where the whole sidewall seeps wet.

If you're really concerned:

• stab a nail in there to check that it still seals punctures
  • check sealant levels every 4 weeks or so

Stans sealant must be well shaken before use as the sealing material lies at the bottom ... If you do not mix well too little sealing material flows into the tyre and the tyre will not seal properly.

<p>

The seepage on your tire is minimal, I have tires where the whole sidewall seeps wet.

If you're really concerned:

• stab a nail in there to check that it still seals punctures
  • check sealant levels every 4 weeks or so

Yeah, think i need to top up sealent as its been a while

All sealant must be well shaken before use as the sealing material lies at the bottom ... If you do not mix well too little sealing material flows into the tyre and the tyre will not seal properly.

Fixed.

Going to piggyback on this thread instead of starting a new one. Here the situation: a while back my chainstay broke and on a muddy ride the mud/chainstay rubbed against the tyre hope that makes sense).

This wore the side of the tyre (Onza Canis) a bit and since then, sealent slowly leaks through. Never had this before so its not a fault in the tyre as some have reported.

I have also noticed some leaking on the tyre by the tread. It seems to be holding air but does over a few days loose some air. I also have two plug in it.

Sooo..my question is should i just top up the sealant and ride till it wares out as there is plenty life left OR....i have another set of spare wheels with Mountain king 2.4 tyres also in good nick, should i exchange and keep the Canis on the spare set? What about rolling resistance and all that stuffs?

This seepage is nothing. Just check your levels before an important race.