New to MTB

JuddMan

If you want I have some pants and shirts available that's now too big for me - seeing that you are looking at an XL frame - that you can have

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Judd.

i see you are in the east rand.

I might be able to help with some spare gear i have.

I have an ETTO helmet that you can have. That will save you a few hundred bucks (if it fits)

I will scratch around for some more stuff.

I stay in Benoni....if you want to meet for a coffee to talk *** about bikes, let me know. Always keen to help someone get into the sport!!!!!

Really nice gesture Wayne. [emoji106]

Dude, if you taking up Mtb'ing you better have enough money for maintenance, if you don't have at least R4k-R10k play money pm rather take up running. 

Woah dude, what are you doing to your bike?!

I doubt I'm spending more than R1kpm average to maintain all my bikes.

Woah dude, what are you doing to your bike?!

I doubt I'm spending more than R1kpm average to maintain all my bikes.

1k per month??? jeez how many km's do you okes ride?

Hi all,

New to the bike hub, and this is my first post, so hello to all. :clap:

I have a technical question I would like answered. I am in the market for my first MTB and after doing some google searches, reading these forums (which a very helpful btw) and speaking to a couple LBS, I know enough to make an informed decision and know what is what in this sport, or so I thought...

In terms of advice, there seems to be 2 ways in which a newbie with a limited budget is to acquire a bike, both of which contradict each other. They are:

• buy second hand, as it is better spec in terms of components, as entry level bikes do not offer significant parts for the rider to enjoy; or
  • buy an entry level bike to get involved in the sport, as you will be upgrading in a year in any case.
Both of these statements have their merits. however I would like some technical advice regarding components. I have been to a LBS where the sales rep tried to do what he does best, and sell me a full XT bike for R15k, after specifically telling him I am new to the sport and my budget is R5k. He (and a few others I have encountered) has told me that anything short of an name brand air shock, hydrolic brakes and XT components, I will not be enjoying the sport.

On the other hand, some one has told me that a coil shock made by the manufacturer (titan, merida etc), mechanical disk brakes and entry level components are all that I will need in order to get started and will be useful to me whilst I learn the ropes.

So what say you? I would like some solid advice from you guys that hit the trails every weekend. Will I, as a beginner, notice the difference between XT and 'non-XT', air or coil shock and mechanical - hydrolic brakes.

sorry for the long post [emoji14]

you'll get a lot of different replies to this post.....here's mine.

1) no you don't have to have xt everything to enjoy the sport. Several long time cycling friends have never owned XT components. One of them just spent 18k on a new 2014 model Anthem with mostly Deore components and a near base level fork and he is extremely happy. The bike rides well..I was impressed when I tried it.

2) I would strongly advise you to consider a hardtail bike rather than a dual susser, considering your budget. The dual sussers you can find in your price range are either worn out or weak and heavy.

3) strongly recommend you choose a minimum spec of hydraulic disc brakes and an air suspended fork if you can find them in your price range

4) your budget of R5k is very light if you consider that it is essential to also purchase a cycling helmet. Gloves and 2 pairs cycling shorts also recommended as a minimum. If possible, increase budget to R10k or wait and save.... A bike you buy new for R5k will not be robust enough for regular use and decent speeds on normal trails.

5) 2nd hand bikes - yes you'll find them in your price range, with better than entry level components but as a newbie you may not recognise how worn the components are. I've seen bikes advertised as "excellent condition" where the gear teeth were worn to razor sharp points and all the wheel bearings rumbling away. People who ride on an entry level budget often dont' maintain their forks - and the damage remains hidden inside. Take a knowlegeable friend or get a hubber in the area to check a 2nd hand bike over for you if you go this route.

1k per month??? jeez how many km's do you okes ride?

That was just a thumb suck number tbh. I doubt it's even as much as R500pm though.

But I'm including tyres (of which I've bought 4 this year so far), suspension maintenance, chains, cables, bearings, etc..

you'll get a lot of different replies to this post.....here's mine.

1) no you don't have to have xt everything to enjoy the sport. Several long time cycling friends have never owned XT components. One of them just spent 18k on a new 2014 model Anthem with mostly Deore components and a near base level fork and he is extremely happy. The bike rides well..I was impressed when I tried it.

2) I would strongly advise you to consider a hardtail bike rather than a dual susser, considering your budget. The dual sussers you can find in your price range are either worn out or weak and heavy.

3) strongly recommend you choose a minimum spec of hydraulic disc brakes and an air suspended fork if you can find them in your price range

4) your budget of R5k is very light if you consider that it is essential to also purchase a cycling helmet. Gloves and 2 pairs cycling shorts also recommended as a minimum.

5) 2nd hand bikes - yes you'll find them in your price range, with better than entry level components but as a newbie you may not recognise how worn the components are. I've seen bikes advertised as "excellent condition" where the gear teeth were worn to razor sharp points and all the wheel bearings rumbling away. People who ride on an entry level budget often dont' maintain their forks - and the damage remains hidden inside. Take a knowlegeable friend or get a hubber in the area to check a 2nd hand bike over for you if you go this route.

agree about XT. Deore is perfectly acceptable. Been riding for 5 years and never owned XT anything.

That was just a thumb suck number tbh. I doubt it's even as much as R500pm though.

But I'm including tyres (of which I've bought 4 this year so far), suspension maintenance, chains, cables, bearings, etc..

Decided to verify my thumb suck of stuff I consider to be maintenance expenses/consumables. My core maintenance expenses are around 900pm avg up to now. However, some of the consumables I've listed will last me the next 5 years.

This is everything that I can remember since Jan that I have spent on maintenance (costs are rounded off).

item		cost	quantity	total
major service	500	1		500
minor service	150	2		300
tyre		600	3		1800
cables		70	4		280
brake fluid	100	1		100
fork oil	120	1		120
fork service	450	1		450
brake pads	200	3		600
sealant		300	1		300
headset		400	1		400
wheel bearing	150	1		150
quicklink	30	6		180
bombs		15	10		150
tubes		75	2		150
repair kits	100	2		200
chain lube	120	2		240
tyre levers	50	2		100
grips		300	1		300
grease		150	1		150
gorilla tape	200	1		200
tubeless valves	200	2		400
bleed kit	100	1		100

unused spares			
bar tape	400	1		400
cassette 	600	1		600
chain		250	2		500
fork svc kit	220	1		220
bombs		15	15		225
tyre		300	1		300

misc			
bike setup	700	2		1400

You guys are all nuts. To the OP get a hardtail service it yourself and you are never going to spend that sort of money. I spend all my maintenance money on upgrades. Just installed a dropper and I'm pretty sure I can now say my bike build is done. A basic hardtail service is easy. The hard part is the fork which I'll be honest is something I will be leaving to the professionals. I probably spend about R100 a month on maintenance if that.

Hey Judd.

i see you are in the east rand.

I might be able to help with some spare gear i have.

I have an ETTO helmet that you can have. That will save you a few hundred bucks (if it fits)

I will scratch around for some more stuff.

I stay in Benoni....if you want to meet for a coffee to talk *** about bikes, let me know. Always keen to help someone get into the sport!!!!!

the prince of Benoni!

You guys are all nuts. To the OP get a hardtail service it yourself and you are never going to spend that sort of money. I spend all my maintenance money on upgrades. Just installed a dropper and I'm pretty sure I can now say my bike build is done. A basic hardtail service is easy. The hard part is the fork which I'll be honest is something I will be leaving to the professionals. I probably spend about R100 a month on maintenance if that.

believe me I have a dual sus and i don't spend  a tenth of that.

My 1 c worth...... cant afford 2c today......

Buy a hard tail in good condition off the hub. BUT get someone who knows about bikes to check it out very well and advise you. It could be a very very expensive mistake. Even when you find a bike keep a R1000 bucks for a major service to ensure the bike is good to go. MTB's take a pounding unlike road bikes you can service once every two years.....

Air shock and hydraulic fork are my only two imperatives as, in my opinion are the 2 factors that can influence your ride enjoyment the most. Don't get hung up on XT blah blah blah.  Deore, SLX and XT perform 99% the same. The difference is materials leading to weight and durability differences. Deore is bulletproof and works a treat. SLX is the best value group set around and XT is the go to group set for more serious riders.

Enjoy the ride, say goodbye to your kids education fund if the bug bites and never tell your wife what your next upgrade really costs.......

How on earth does anyone maintain their bikes for <R100pm if they're being used? I think in future I need to ask someone their maintenance budget before I consider buying a bike off the hub.

Major service + rear sus + fork will set you back 1.5 - 2k; way more if you run brain sus. Even doing it yourself you're into the hundreds just on component costs (fork seals, o-rings, washers, pivot bearings/bushings, cables, housings, etc.).

How on earth does anyone maintain their bikes for <R100pm if they're being used? I think in future I need to ask someone their maintenance budget before I consider buying a bike off the hub.

Major service + rear sus + fork will set you back 1.5 - 2k; way more if you run brain sus. Even doing it yourself you're into the hundreds just on component costs (fork seals, o-rings, washers, pivot bearings/bushings, cables, housings, etc.).

Steel hardtail, coil fork (Rock Shox), 1X10 drivetrain, SLX brakes. What constitutes a major service. As far as I'm concerned the only thing on my bike that I can't service myself is my fork and that is only for lack of trying. I installed my own headset with a bench vise and the bearings still seem just peachy. Cleaned my bottom bracket recently and it too was fine. I dismantled my rear derailleur and cleaned it up so that it shifted beautifully again after getting a bit sticky. I replaced my own derailleur cables. I've bled my own brakes. What other things does one really need to do. When I read threads like this I'm reminded why I ride a hardtail.

It sounds to me that all you've done so far is clean stuff and change cables?

What about replacing wear items like: brake pads, tyres, chain, cassette, chainrings? I don't see how 1.2kpa gets you all of this unless you're riding a SS or just not riding (assuming proper maintenance).

Major service depends on the shop, but should include a complete frame strip and regreasing of all bearings, axles & hubs, trueing the wheels, replacement of cables/housings, brake fluid, and bearings where necessary, setting gears, and if they're doing their job properly they'll do things like clean everything, straighten rotors, torque bolts, etc..

It sounds to me that all you've done so far is clean stuff and change cables?

What about replacing wear items like: brake pads, tyres, chain, cassette, chainrings? I don't see how 1.2kpa gets you all of this unless you're riding a SS or just not riding (assuming proper maintenance).

Major service depends on the shop, but should include a complete frame strip and regreasing of all bearings, axles & hubs, trueing the wheels, replacement of cables/housings, brake fluid, and bearings where necessary, setting gears, and if they're doing their job properly they'll do things like clean everything, straighten rotors, torque bolts, etc..

Not being funny or anything but frankly I'm not going to pay a bike shop to tighten bolts. I have a torque wrench and can do that myself. Haven't worn out my brake pads yet. My cassette seems fine. My chainring is still good. Perhaps replacing all of these will be a cost but so far I haven't worn anything out and I've put about 1500km on the bike since I put it together. Maybe thats not a lot in some people's book but its not just sitting in my garage. Why would I be so hasty as to regrease all my bearings since they're sealed cartridge bearings. If my wheels aren't out of true why should they be trued. My rotors are straight. People are getting fleeced if they're paying for all of those things every year without even considering if it needs to be done.

One proviso I will issue is I didn't consider the cost of my tyres since I included them in my build calculation. So yeah thats around 1K on tyres. Perhaps my estimate is low. I'm not really a numbers person but its certainly not costing 1K a month.

Archived