Removing XT pedals

Benjamin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is that going to help now?

OK, it won't....I was being a smartass....but the advice stands for next time.

what the OP can do is to :

1) get a penetrating oil like Q10 (note: Q10 is not the same as Q20) and out a drop or two where the pedal shaft enters the crank and on the other side where the allen key goes in.

2) leave it overnight to soak and well, ....penetrate

3) wrap the cranks and chainrings in thick rags to limit injury if the threads suddenly give way

4) clean the hexagonal allen key hole in the pedal shaft of any dirt to ensure the allen key will seat as deeply as possible. This prevents rounding of the hole and allen key

5) ensure he is turning the pedals the right way to loosen them. Other posters have already helped on that score

6) supplement the allen key with a 15mm pedal spanner (if the pedals have flats for this, XT pedals may not)

7) instead of a normal allen key, get a Gedore or similar allen socket and use with a socket wrench to get more leverage.

And if all the above fails - follow Andymanns advice on how to deal with cracked pedal shafts. For the OP's sake I hope this has not happened.

I bought XTR Trail pedals recently so this problem could be in my future too....hence my advice about Copaslip .

Edited by JXV

+1 for socket wrench with 8mm allen socket. Works with sram cranks, giant pivots, etc. Plenty of use for it.

Right pedal unscrew anti clockwise and left clockwise. Plus what iteachcoffee said.

uhh, easy way to remember is righty tighty, lefty loosy, but bot all of them are like that.

Seriously struggling to unscrew my X T pedals with an Allen key . Surely there's a trick to it? Any ideas

Have you tried a "technical tap"? it might work

uhh, easy way to remember is righty tighty, lefty loosy, but bot all of them are like that.

not on the left side, it has reverse thread so there is it lefty tighty

Have you tried a "technical tap"? it might work

Thought about it. Eventually went to bed, took to cracker LBS in the morning and had new pedals on in about 60 seconds. Sticking to my day job.

I had the exact same problem as Benjamin with my SPD540 pedals (at least the one side).

I couldn't remove them from my bike's previous cranks in order to fit to my new one.

My LBS couldn't get it off, I tried the overnight coke and Q20 trick to no avail - so I ended up spending my money on new pedals instead (much easier!)

Now I am contemplating whether anyone would by a BB30 crank which comes with fitted pedals...

I have used a heat gun to heat the crank arm around the stuck pedal, on Aliminuim cranks of course. The crank expands faster than the pedal threads, couple this with penetrating oil and you can get it off. Don't use a cutting torch. A heat gun is enough.

Righty tightly lefty loose does not apply to pedals as one of the threads is a left hand thread. Also bear in mind that there is a right and left pedal in a set, don't confuse them as it will ruin your cranks. There is a R and L stamped on the pedals.

Copperslip is intended to prevent this issue and I would recommend it, grease also works but is intended to libricate moving parts. Copperslip is designed to prevent threads binding.

Prevention is key in this situation. Anti-seize compound Works best but in a pinch grease will at least help. Try removing pedals once in a while to reapply. When its stuck I find a rubber mallet is the best way to loosen few taps on your driver/spanner and its loose. Careful of the sharp bits.

A little handy trick - if the bike is upside-down when you remove the pedals (most times they are), you will always turn the spanner towards the downtube to loosen both sides, and towards the chainstays to tighten both sides.

A little handy trick - if the bike is upside-down when you remove the pedals (most times they are), you will always turn the spanner towards the downtube to loosen both sides, and towards the chainstays to tighten both sides.

Is this true in all cases? Thanx.

Been struggling to remove and fit an upgrade set of Time pedals to my roady. B%&&^%y "alien key" thingy keep slipping. Found this whole thread most useful. Thanx for all the Hubbers who contributed some experienced know-how.

Is this true in all cases? Thanx..

Easiest way to remember is RH side pedal fastens clockwise, like any normal bolt an nut combination. LH pedal fastens anti clockwise.