Open water swims in Cape Town

Ratty

hoping you guys and girls can help.

Myself and a few friends are doing Slanghoek in October and want to get some practice swimming in dams before then.  We are finding that the moment we get into a dam, we are panicking a bit and struggling for breath so want to get over this. 

Any suggestions on where we can go that is not more than an hour from Cape Town?  I believe Silvermine is still closed.

Thanks

BLACKvoodoo, on 14 Sept 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

PM sent

if the pm was to open water swim venues,please share with me as well

There is a group swimming Gordens bay some Sunday mornings from spur to the harbor and back (1.8km). Depends on weather and availability in summer they swim Friday mornings sometimes as well. Wet suit is advised but not required. Unfortunately its informal and doesn't always take place. This is a sea swim. 

Edited by Amberdrake

hoping you guys and girls can help.

Myself and a few friends are doing Slanghoek in October and want to get some practice swimming in dams before then.  We are finding that the moment we get into a dam, we are panicking a bit and struggling for breath so want to get over this. 

Any suggestions on where we can go that is not more than an hour from Cape Town?  I believe Silvermine is still closed.

Thanks

Im going to suggest that if you are uncomfortable swimming in a dam at the moment then avoid sea swims until you are at home in a dam.

Im going to suggest that if you are uncomfortable swimming in a dam at the moment then avoid sea swims until you are at home in a dam.

I am actually better in the sea than dams.  Used to do nippers as a kid and surfed for quite a few years.  Its the dark brown water that freaks me out.

There is a group swimming Gordens bay some Sunday mornings from spur to the harbor and back (1.8km). Depends on weather and availability in summer they swim Friday mornings sometimes as well. Wet suit is advised but not required. Unfortunately its informal and doesn't always take place. This is a sea swim. 

Thanks, but at this point 1.8km would be pushing it a bit especially for my friends. 

I only started swimming again last year after 10 years off due to a shoulder injury so working my way up.  Next race (Slanghoek) is only 650m's so its a nice comfortable distance. 

There's also First Sundays of the Month Swims at Clifton https://www.facebook.com/1SOMS

ATC host swims in the canal in the Waterfront once a week - you can join their swimming club for R220 per annum (might be slightly off)

Just a tip, if you freak out about the brown water, look forward, don't look down.

I find that consciously regulating your breathing as you enter the water makes a huge difference, especially when the water is cold.

The 'freak out' is irrational so if you slow everything down and think about your form and your breathing everything sort of washes over you and you will settle down whatever water you find yourself in.

Maybe practice entering the water a few times to get over the initial fear... Realistically there are far less things to be scared of in a dam than in the sea. Maybe some leaches inbetween your toes or a swimming snake that can't bike you anyway, but those don't really have any sort of real life comparison to giant 4m long great white man eaters....

Enjoy the time in the water............

Dams are awesome for swimming, I comfortable in the sea too but the lack of swell in a dam just makes it a little easier to get into a comfortable rhythm. 

I find that consciously regulating your breathing as you enter the water makes a huge difference, especially when the water is cold.

The 'freak out' is irrational so if you slow everything down and think about your form and your breathing everything sort of washes over you and you will settle down whatever water you find yourself in.

Maybe practice entering the water a few times to get over the initial fear... Realistically there are far less things to be scared of in a dam than in the sea. Maybe some leaches inbetween your toes or a swimming snake that can't bike you anyway, but those don't really have any sort of real life comparison to giant 4m long great white man eaters....

"everything sort of washes over you"  :eek:  :eek: :eek:  

that's the part that worries me :whistling:

Edited by velomonatiCT

Silvermine is closed until December, there are a few dams at the top of Red Hill that are swimable, swimming used to be banned there but I understand that the position has softened somewhat. Berg river dam could also be an option

You are not helping...

When I was on a school camp, I got bitten by a fish in a dam (it was quite sore).  Ever since then I've have a fear of the fishes in the dams.  I know its irrational, but still freaks me out. 

When I walk into the dam, the moment its deep enough I tread water rather than stand.

On a serious note, thanks for the advice, appreciate it. 

I reckon after a few more swims in a dam, I'll be ok.  My friend might take a little longer.