The LBS Said so....

Cois

Straight steerer can have 2 meanings.

44 mm oversize( if I am correct cannondale were the first to do this with the headshock) or 1 1/8 straight steerer. When I read straight steerer I saw my On-one steerer tube 1 1/8).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My not-so-local bike shop told me this is how my cable is supposed to look. This was after the first ride on a brand new bike. When I said that it is definitely not meant to look like that they insisted that I was wrong....No sure if it is because I am a lady that they thought they could convince me it was meant to look like this or if they just really don't know how to cut and cap a cable...the rest of the service I got from them was not very good either.... 

MORONS

It's scary that 1" use to you called standard, 1 1/8" oversized, the came 1.5" and giant with their finger I in the pie w yet another size.

The owner of my LBS is an effing, wait for it, LEGEND...! Plus I only have to walk as far as my office/bike room to get there...

You'll be surprised how accurate experienced guys can be. My experience might be out of context but a diesel mechanic proved it to me. He works on trucks so obviously a much larger scale but would assemble according to feel only to 'check' a few bolts with a torque wrench after. He was pretty accurate.

It boils down to the right tools for the job. With a small allen key you probably couldn't tighten bolts in your brake rotor much pass the 6nm mark using only your hand. If you use a bigger tool with more leverage than you require then possibly over tightening it becomes an issue.

To be as honest as I can.

I don't care how experienced a "guy" might think he is. Use the right tool for the job.

I worked hard to earn the bicycles I ride and I expect the person who works on it to treat it better than I would as it's not theirs.

If it says Nm, use a torque wrench, if it says PSi use a pressure gauge..... Etc

A bit off topic, check what the recommended pressure is for you tires. Do you run your tire pressure in recommended range?

A bit off topic, check what the recommended pressure is for you tires. Do you run your tire pressure in recommended range?

As far as I know you get a high and a low.  I stay in between that.  If you want to be super perfect, take a pressure meter, get on the bike with all your weight and take the tyre pressure...

I once tried running it border line, and the ride was horid, running to low, I will know it on my first turn on the bike as it feels as though the tyre does not run true

Archived