Leaving Your Bike at a Bus Station

cfcjim

Does/would anyone lock up and leave their commuter bike at a MyCiti bus station?

I've seen a few bikes locked to the steel trestles, I just wondered if anyone does this on a semi-regular basis.

My car is having major surgery and I've used Uber into town and the MyCiti bus home (I'm at work at 0600) but I can be flexible. I would prefer a more bike/public transport centric option.

Due to my hip replacement recovery I can't push too hard so I've been driving into work and riding home some days; then riding in and driving home. But with my vehicle being off the road for at least two more weeks I'd like to ride to the station, lock up my bike and bus into town, And hopefully it'll still be there when I get back.

It's a medium spec 26er deore/rockshox, nothing terribly high end but nice and reliable and I'd hate to lose it.

I'm about 5km from the Wood Drive bus station in Table View, then a six minute walk to my office from Thibault Square or ten minutes from the Civic Centre.

Any thoughts/experiences would be most welcome.

It sounds like a noble idea but no thank you!!

Not in Cape Town or anywhere else will I leave my bike unattended except in my spare room where they live. :mellow:

personally I would not lock a lock to the railings and expect to find it there later again!

Ja, My bike's so crap that every time it gets targeted, the thieves leave the bike, but keep the lock.

My girlfriend locked her rusty raleigh rc3000 outside paddocks shopping center last weekend for around 20 mins and came out to find the lock had been tampered with so that it could not be opened with the key any more. I got a friend to go and cut off the lock with a hacksaw and nobody batted an eyelid.

My girlfriend locked her rusty raleigh rc3000 outside paddocks shopping center last weekend for around 20 mins and came out to find the lock had been tampered with so that it could not be opened with the key any more. I got a friend to go and cut off the lock with a hacksaw and nobody batted an eyelid.

Flippin' 'eck!

Does/would anyone lock up and leave their commuter bike at a MyCiti bus station?

I've seen a few bikes locked to the steel trestles, I just wondered if anyone does this on a semi-regular basis.

My car is having major surgery and I've used Uber into town and the MyCiti bus home (I'm at work at 0600) but I can be flexible. I would prefer a more bike/public transport centric option.

Due to my hip replacement recovery I can't push too hard so I've been driving into work and riding home some days; then riding in and driving home. But with my vehicle being off the road for at least two more weeks I'd like to ride to the station, lock up my bike and bus into town, And hopefully it'll still be there when I get back.

It's a medium spec 26er deore/rockshox, nothing terribly high end but nice and reliable and I'd hate to lose it.

I'm about 5km from the Wood Drive bus station in Table View, then a six minute walk to my office from Thibault Square or ten minutes from the Civic Centre.

Any thoughts/experiences would be most welcome.

What about underground parking lot at your office?

that's assuming you can't leave it at your actual office.

It's not the office that's the problem.

Home ---5km--->bus station-----travel------>CT---0.5km--->Office

/|\

This is the point where I thought of locking and leaving my bike for the day.

At my office we have showers, even a gym. And probably the most secure parking in CT.

But I don't think I'm going to take the chance even though one of the MyCiti employees said it would ahem, PROBABLY be fine.

Is a person not allowed to take your bike on the bus like in Europe? I saw guys and girls bring their bikes(dont mean folded ones) onto the bus every morning

Is a person not allowed to take your bike on the bus like in Europe? I saw guys and girls bring their bikes(dont mean folded ones) onto the bus every morning

If the bus is half empty it's no big deal but from 0530 the buses are full and they won't let you and the bike on; same thing in the evening. Which is a bummer.

They were really helpful when I was on crutches and a mate of mine is in a wheelchair and she never has a problem.

The bike doesn't take up much more room than a wheelchair or a push chair (buggy) so yeah, they should let me on with the bike. Maybe I'll make an enquiry/complaint.

Here in Bloem, your bike wouldn't be there after 15 minutes. The plus

point is that you probably wouldn't need it anyway as you wouldn't make it out of the station alive. Frikken rough place that