[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

There is no part of Cape Town that doesn't have a parking issue. Like they said, wear a comfortable pair of shoes, you'll have to walk a bit. It's called the fan walk, enjoy talking to fellow crazies. Me myself I ride my bike......and then walk in really uncomfortable shoes!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just sent out the SMSs.

EDIT:  I am going to park at the Waterfront, and have a nice stroll to the stadium with my 2 boys.  Register me and my eldest, buy some goodies, then head back to Waterfront to enjoy a bite or milkshake with them.  I have put in leave for Friday.

Hopefully, by next year team Moridin will consist of 4 entries.  My younger son just started MTBing seriously, and he is on a roll and want some decent shoes and pedals also.

They just sent out the SMSs.

EDIT:  I am going to park at the Waterfront, and have a nice stroll to the stadium with my 2 boys.  Register me and my eldest, buy some goodies, then head back to Waterfront to enjoy a bite or milkshake with them.  I have put in leave for Friday.

Hopefully, by next year team Moridin will consist of 4 entries.  My younger son just started MTBing seriously, and he is on a roll and want some decent shoes and pedals also.

From my previous years excitement looking for bargains at the expo every year i walk away with nothing as the "bargains" is not really that. This year i am getting my numbers pickedup not even bothering to go.

Firstly substitutions have closed already so unfortunately you can't sell it.

Secondly the chip is registered to you and you only. It has all your personal details and you use it for many races so you must keep that for future.

Lastly it's illegal to sell your entry for more than you paid for it. Its in the CTCT terms and conditions. The person buying your entry still has to pay another R250 for the substitution so they would end up paying R1750 for your entry so even if points 1 and 2 didn't exist you would never offload it for that price.

Actually, its not illegal. Its just an arbitrary anti-competitive rule imposed by the race organizers. It does not enjoy the force of law, and it is selfish, designed only to protect their substitution fee. The price should be regulated by no more than supply and demand. On that note, this particular seller is of course taking the piss, because every 2nd shlump has has entry for sale. but they are worth nada anyway, because this self same race organizers have closed substitutions, which makes no sense. Very many paid up entries will go to waste needlessly; (many cups of powerade will be saved) .they could and should have dedicated 1 guy and a pc to doing substitutions, even at number collection.

Lots of their rules are stupid and bureaucratic if you think about it. Like having to have a starting card. Wtf ?? Like, you cant start the race without a chip. Why not? No other race, (94.7 included) imposes this. Like the super dumb new compulsory "medical" questionnaire. Everyone saw through that crap - boy, they must have skewed data.

Bottom line: The only rules I respect are the safety related ones. As for the rest - f*** em.

Ps: the most laughable stupid rule (though not an Argus rule): No sleeveless tops. Wonder who dreamed that pearler up, but I hear it at the start of every race along with the no headphones rule, which I also ignore.

Edit. I self regulate on the headphones, keeping volume v low, and only in 1 ear, and never in Either ear in a bunch.

Actually, its not illegal. Its just an arbitrary anti-competitive rule imposed by the race organizers. It does not enjoy the force of law, and it is selfish, designed only to protect their substitution fee. The price should be regulated by no more than supply and demand. On that note, this particular seller is of course taking the piss, because every 2nd shlump has has entry for sale. but they are worth nada anyway, because this self same race organizers have closed substitutions, which makes no sense. Very many paid up entries will go to waste needlessly; (many cups of powerade will be saved) .they could and should have dedicated 1 guy and a pc to doing substitutions, even at number collection.

Lots of their rules are stupid and bureaucratic if you think about it. Like having to have a starting card. Wtf ?? Like, you cant start the race without a chip. Why not? No other race, (94.7 included) imposes this. Like the super dumb new compulsory "medical" questionnaire. Everyone saw through that crap - boy, they must have skewed data.

Bottom line: The only rules I respect are the safety related ones. As for the rest - f*** em.

Ps: the most laughable stupid rule (though not an Argus rule): No sleeveless tops. Wonder who dreamed that pearler up, but I hear it at the start of every race along with the no headphones rule, which I also ignore.

Edit. I self regulate on the headphones, keeping volume v low, and only in 1 ear, and never in Either ear in a bunch.

You sir, need a hug! 

Agreed with a lot you said, but I do think there is a safety aspect in the strictly regulated substitutions. It is to allow accurate matching of person, number and medical detail. For example, I grab your number on the morning of the race, I crash badly, I'm unconscious, among other stuff they give me penicillin, I die from an allergic reaction, because they looked up your medical detail on the computer and it said nothing about a penicillin allergy.  :)

The no sleeveless rule is there to protect you from looking stupid ;)

Agreed with a lot you said, but I do think there is a safety aspect in the strictly regulated substitutions. It is to allow accurate matching of person, number and medical detail. For example, I grab your number on the morning of the race, I crash badly, I'm unconscious, among other stuff they give me penicillin, I die from an allergic reaction, because they looked up your medical detail on the computer and it said nothing about a penicillin allergy.  :)

The no sleeveless rule is there to protect you from looking stupid ;)

Agreed and.......rule #7 applies!   http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Noticed some new anti-doping posters along paradise Road this morning. Also some more PPA safe cycling ones! I wish people will just take the advice.

post-17716-0-00958200-1456982643_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-86629800-1456982670_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-66126100-1456982701_thumb.jpg

How do you pass a group like that?

With bunch riding skills, will take you about 5mins (you will probably be sworn at multiple times though) :ph34r:

Archived