Best Bike in Africa 2015: #4 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie

News bot

The Best Bike in Africa will be held at the 2015 Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 - 25 October at St Stithians College, Johannesburg. The competition invites fair visitors to vote for their favourite bike at the Best Bike in Africa stand. All the entrants that vote for the bike that wins the Best Bike in Africa will go into a draw to win the bike. Leading up to the fair, we'll be be revealing the bikes entered in the Best Bike in Africa. Next up, Specialized's Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie.

Click here to view the article

I've ridden one of these at a test day - what a BLAST.

really, this thing is a load of fun.

it holds a line in a corner like nothing I've ridden.  even my ham-fisted attempts to get it to skid or slide resulted in no movement from the line at all.

Everyone should give this "plus" wheel formula a go before buying their next bike. 

PS: Scott has also launched a bunch of models like this.

Really not trolling here, but does the controlled nature of this beast not spoil all the fun?  I know suspension made riding a bike easier and faster, so my argument fails at the gate, but still.  Does it not dumb down riding a bit, and even then, is that a bad thing given that it opens doors to newbies to ride proper trails quicker?

Discuss.

Really not trolling here, but does the controlled nature of this beast not spoil all the fun?  I know suspension made riding a bike easier and faster, so my argument fails at the gate, but still.  Does it not dumb down riding a bit, and even then, is that a bad thing given that it opens doors to newbies to ride proper trails quicker?

Discuss.

For me, quicker is more fun. That said, I still prefer the 29er stumpy.

You want fast?Epic all the way-hell you gotta break on the climbs :)

dude, cmon. Dont let our secret out. Let the majority ride their Trances and Cambers etc. Only chance I have of actually beating them in a race is by using my Epic.

Is there a particular reason these write ups exclude the forks from the spec sheets?  Same with the Reign. 

Other than neglecting to put them into our spec table generator, nope. No reason.

Update: Now included. Found a bug in the spec table. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rode this beast on Monday down the Drakensberg. If you are after extreme all mountain riding then this machine is for you. For anything else with the word "race" in it, then go with skinnier tires and look at Camber or Epic. This 6fatty setup is purely for fun and extreme stuff. It literally soak up everything possible you can throw at it. It even climbs steps with a doddle because of the extra grip.

This bike isn't for "one bike for everything". But the fatty tires do make steering a bit more cumbersome. It seems the verdict is still out there if 3" isn't too much. Partick Moorewood suggested that 2,8" might actually be sweet spot.

My vote will go for this, with the hope to win one. Otherwise Pyga 140!!