Always looking for another headline....

"If Sagan wins another two stages, I'll stay in cycling."

Oleg Tinkoff

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew.. okay finally had time to check up on all the results.

All that matters is Sagan is still in Yellow and has taken the green jersey..back.[emoji123]

PS my son doesn't have a broken arm and the other one will hopefully be able to actually run a bit more tomorrow.. good heavens what a first day of hockey tour

Sorry to hear man. Hope they heal up soon.

But doesn't Manxman still have the green jersey?

Edit: sorry I see now it is Sagz ????

Tomorrow is going to be a cracker, can't wait.

Stage 5 Preview

Will Julian Alaphilippe take a maiden grand tour stage win in the first hilly stage of this year's Tour de France?

Stage 5 heads into the difficult Massif Central region and has a finale tailor-made for Julian Alaphilippe.

At 216 km, the first part of the stage takes place in one of the flatter parts of France and so there’s only the category 4 climb of Cote de Saint-Leonard-de-Noblet (1.7 km, 5.2%) at the 16.5 km mark to test the riders. From there, the riders will follow mainly flat roads to the city of Pont de Saint-Projet at the 133.5km mark.

The next 51.5 km are all uphill and includes 3 categorized climbs along the way:
  • The Cat. 3 Cote du Puy Saint-Mary (6.8 km 3.9%),
  • The Cat. 3 Col de Neronne (7.1km, 3%), and
  • The Cat. 2 Pol de Peyrol (5.4km, 8.1%).
The latter ascent is very tough as the final 2.4 km @ 11%. Along the way, the riders will contest the intermediate sprint just 2 km after the top of the Cote du Puy-Saint-Mary. The final 500m are uphill at around 5%.

The top of the Pas de Peyrol comes with 31 km to go and the final part of the stage is definitely not easy.

Right after the descent, the riders will hit the Cat. 2 Col du Perthus (4.4 km, 7.9%) which is a very irregular climb with 2 km at an average of more than 11%.

From the top, there are still 14.5 km which consist of a small descent, the Cat. 3 Col de Fent de Cere (3.3 km, 5.8%) and the final 2.5 km which are mainly slightly descending.

The Col de Fent de Cere is a relatively regular climb that never gets very steep and then the descending roads lead to a 500m ramp at 6% in the end.

The finale is very technical as there are numerous hairpin bends on the climb and in the final 2.5 km. The last of those comes just before the flamme rouge and then two turns lead to the final 90-degree corner with 190m to go.

The finishing straight is on a 6m wide road.

post-22004-0-61536700-1467742289_thumb.jpg

Always looking for another headline....

"If Sagan wins another two stages, I'll stay in cycling."

Oleg Tinkoff

Now I'm torn. I would love for Sagan to win two more stages but........

Now I'm torn. I would love for Sagan to win two more stages but........

Exactly my thoughts too :D

It's time Lewis starts to show some form in the hills tomorrow. Haven't even heard his name yet

Seriously? I don't get it when people go on about wheel sucking. Its part of the sport. Its how it works. if you don't like wheel sucking then watch only TT and triathlons. tell me a single sprinter that didn't wheel suck. Actually tell me anyone in the last 30 years that didn't. Teams look after chosen winners in order to set them up. Its not complicated.

Fausto Coppi was the man that practically invented the system. He died like 50 years ago. He was so well looked after by his team that he would make them carry him to his hotel room if it wasn't on the ground floor so he didn't tire out his legs walking up stairs. He only made an effort when it was absolutely needed and would bring a result.

Calm down, the comment was about Cav and Hinault loosing sleep over Cavs stage wins.

Hinault was a great rider and not just a sprinter, he actually won TDF overall 4 or 5 times and not just sprint stages. Half of BH TDF stage wins were ITT's ... the race of truth.

When Cav racks up his 5th TDF GC win Hinault might loose some sleep.

Until then Cav will be the TDF wheel sucker champion, indeed a worthy challenge in itself.

he would go faster if he cut his hair ... ^_^

It's the hair that's helping him win! Cutting it of might make a Samson out of him. :whistling:

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

All that matters is Sagan is still in Yellow and has taken the green jersey..back.[emoji123]

PS my son doesn't have a broken arm and the other one will hopefully be able to actually run a bit more tomorrow.. good heavens what a first day of hockey tour

Hockey is more dangerous than rugby imho. Hope your sons recover quickly!

Was a good of racing. Tomorrow should be better as hopefully we might see some GC fireworks!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

The difficult final 36 km of Stage 5:

I'll be watching with interest to see whether 'Berto has overcome the worst of his injuries.

Also who will climb into the maillot jaune by the end today.

This will be the first big punch-up of the GC okes. Gonna be good.

Sagz misses you, Gen.....

But he understands... the Tour is over 3 weeks after all

http://www.osporte.sk/rs/foto/333x250/1388688202_78019.jpg

Stage 5's pain cave, further details

Distance: 216km (134mi)
Elevation Gain: 3450m (11318ft)
Weather forecast: Plenty of sunshine throughout the stage. Seasonal temperatures around 26°C in the valleys and 20°C at the top of mountain passes. Light northwesterly wind.:

Archived