Silverback Sesta wins German design award

News bot

• 2 weeks later...

I would love it if Silverback SA could explain the situation - There seemed to be a lot of interest in this bike when it was (correction - wasn't) released a year ago! I for one was keen to check it out before buying a new bike - Gave up in the end and bought something else!

Here we go. The bike won its first award at Eurobike in concept status (yes, I know, the word "Concept" appears in the name also). (The second award was recently given by the German Design Award council.) 

Then after further significant development and testing the bike was produced in a limited quantity for the OMX Team to race experimentally in 2015, which they did and very successfully (Prologue win Cape Epic, two top ten overall Cape Epic, other podiums in Cape Epic as well as podiums and wins in Swiss Cup etc.)

Not satisfied with the stiffness to weight ratio, SB continued further testing under newer more stringent standards for bikes destined for Euro market. (Most brands on the market likely have not needed to submit existing rigs to be tested with the new standards.) 

After almost two years of development, SB decides that the current version is market ready, unfortunately testing and remanufacturing with new layups on carbon etc take a lot of time and manufacturers oftentimes take longer to fill the process than stated or desired, this is not the fault of the bike brand generally speaking. Sometimes test-lab equipment even fails and has significant down-time before being redeployed, this did happen in the train of events for Silverback.

Currently, the Sesta frame exceeds the industry standards requirements to make certification by about 200%. That is significant especially in light of the new standards.

There are a good number of a Ltd edition Sesta landing in the first week of December and then the bulk should arrive in January.

As for cost, there is nothing anybody can do about the mighty US $. Check the currency rates a year ago compared to now. Unfortunate collateral damage of politics is bike prices for Saffers.

I would love it if Silverback SA could explain the situation - There seemed to be a lot of interest in this bike when it was (correction - wasn't) released a year ago! I for one was keen to check it out before buying a new bike - Gave up in the end and bought something else!

Check Post by Talk Wrench

Sesta Concept 1.0 size medium. 

Anybody keen? Somebody caused a small amount of damage to two cable guides in transport but its fully serviceable.

In the background the luscious Slider 1 2016 with dropper post and stealth cable routing...

post-17828-0-87304600-1447163663_thumb.jpg

Sesta Concept 1.0 size medium. 

Anybody keen? Somebody caused a small amount of damage to two cable guides in transport but its fully serviceable.

In the background the luscious Slider 1 2016 with dropper post and stealth cable routing...

Any reviews of the Sesta or links to reviews?

The silverback website not the most user friendly.

Any reviews of the Sesta or links to reviews?

The silverback website not the most user friendly.

They still have to send me a test bike before I can review.

• 4 weeks later...

Silverback still has no idea when this bike will be available to purchase. It was supposed to be early December (just like 1 year ago) but it seems not. I`m sure this would be a good bike but I`m not sure if it will be available any time soon - if ever.

• 3 months later...

Well, it looks like these Silverback Sesta bikes are really gaining traction (pun unintended but nonetheless enjoyed).

This is no phantom bike and there are plenty of these slick sleds headed to SA. Currently in stock with a consistent stream of continuity planned or at worst, never out of stock for more than two weeks.

There have been some brilliant race results on these bikes both locally and internationally now and some of the local youngsters have hit top step on the XC race podiums of late on these awesome machines too.

Many non-Silverback dealers are paying attention and signing up too I hear. That is a very good sign. I have reliable info that the 'Hub will be posting a review in the not too distant future as well. They have one in their grubby mitts as we type...

Must be a very good reason why certain well-seasoned (and well-known) riders are forsaking their Big C surgeon's tools and Big S full sussers.