Fox fork clicking

gerhardsnorbaard

Hi all

My second hand Fox Evolution (2014) is making a clicking sound. It isnt super loud and I dont notice or hear it when out riding, but it is bothersome as I want the fork to have a good and meaningful life. 

I will try and explain it as follows: when I compress the fork and let go, it moves up through its travel and makes the click just as it reaches the neutral position. Almost as if it "hits the roof" on the way back up after being compressed. When I set the rebound super slow, there is no click. If I set the rebound as I would imagine it should be, the click is there but soft. When I set the rebound fast, the click is louder. 

Fork anatomy is a dark art to me, but possible internet solutions to the problem:

1.) Factory fault, Fox being notorious for clicking (there is a hub topic on this)

2.) It just needs some air 

3.) Nothing major, but bothersome  

4.) Fork needs a minor service 

5.) Fork needs a major service 

6.) Fork is buggered and I am doomed, better be rocking a rigid bike this summer

7.) Its not the fork but the headset or something else

I am hoping for something in between 2 and 3 - any thoughts, advice? 

Go to your LBS. I understand this is a common problem. Apparently if its still under 1 year old, Fox will replace.

Go to your LBS. I understand this is a common problem. Apparently if its still under 1 year old, Fox will replace.

Unfortunately I bought the bike second hand, so this isnt an option for me

my wifes bike had it on her fox fork, its where the stanchion meets the crown, they fix it under warranty. 

her old fork.,...

since you are out of warranty learn to live with it....

my wifes bike had it on her fox fork, its where the stanchion meets the crown, they fix it under warranty. 

her old fork.,...

since you are out of warranty learn to live with it....

Thanks for this! Its not the same sound though, a little less violent. Seems like the "live with it" approach would be okay for the time being. I hope.. 

Can't see the video at the moment but if you take the front wheel out and squeeze the fork legs together and then pull them apart it will make that clicking/creaking sound which means it's your CSU.

It will be warrantied if not older than a year and you are the original owner.

If not you will have to buy a new set of upper legs/CSU which for an Evolution will set you back around R4k

It sounds like harsh top out to me. It happens at the end of the rebound stroke, thus it is quiet when you set the rebound slow. Fast rebound will have the harsh top out.

Your fork might just need a proper service, probably a damper service.

Can't see the video at the moment but if you take the front wheel out and squeeze the fork legs together and then pull them apart it will make that clicking/creaking sound which means it's your CSU.

It will be warrantied if not older than a year and you are the original owner.

If not you will have to buy a new set of upper legs/CSU which for an Evolution will set you back around R4k

Nope, no sound when I do this 

It sounds like harsh top out to me. It happens at the end of the rebound stroke, thus it is quiet when you set the rebound slow. Fast rebound will have the harsh top out.

Your fork might just need a proper service, probably a damper service.

Sounds about right

You really have to put some effort in so it.

But if there is still no noise then I'm 99% sure it's not the CSU. Might be headset cups, etc. Hard to tell without looking at the bike.

Take it to Droo at Stoke and Suspension works.  Could be one of many causes - broken negative spring, something loose on the damper etc.

Take it to Droo at Stoke and Suspension works.  Could be one of many causes - broken negative spring, something loose on the damper etc.

Did get hold of him, thanks

This.

As a starting point, your rebound should be set slow enough that the front wheel does not bounce off the floor when the fork tops out after you compress and release it. The fluid in the fork may hiss a little at the correct setting. If rebound is correct and it still clicks then get it seen to.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this fork - it had been run at pressures towards the high end of the recommended range and the negative spring had collapsed. Not to the point of it being visible, just to the point that it wasn't properly balancing the load from the air spring.

This was causing it to top out harshly and make a clicking noise as it topped out against the second stage of the negative spring.

Replaced the spring and the problem went away, and with a proper fork setup hopefully the problem won't repeat itself.

Archived