how many quiklinks

Cappi

hi, how many quik links can u have on a chain? mtb 10spd.

friend broke his hanger, made the bike a single speed to finish ride. he has now replaced the hanger and the piece of chain he removed. he wants to use pins to put back the chain. i advised using 2 quik links to rejoin it.

please advise.

thanks

Had the same problem a couple of months back. Still using chain with 2 quick links. No issues.

You know how they say the weakest link determines the strength of a chain? That applies to quicklinks, too. Chuck one in, put ten in, theoretically should make no difference..

Same question about a 11 speed Shimano Road chain. I screwed up the length on a brand new chain and will put several small bits back with proper Shimano pins. Any reason not to?

Same question about a 11 speed Shimano Road chain. I screwed up the length on a brand new chain and will put several small bits back with proper Shimano pins. Any reason not to?

As long as it hasn't been ridden and then links are the proper shimano break off once off pins you'll have no issue. Just done re use the pins from the chain as they can't be pushed back

You know how they say the weakest link determines the strength of a chain? That applies to quicklinks, too. Chuck one in, put ten in, theoretically should make no difference..

The theory doesn't hold though. The quick links don't run through the jockey wheels as smoothly as normal links. Too many in a chain can cause wear and misalignment. My LBS says never more than 4, and reckon damage can be done if you have 2 quick links directly next to each other... Edited by brucem76

In theory you need to make sure that the added pins allow for chain direction ie pin in the trailing end on the outer plate as the chain enters the chain ring.  I connect all chains - Shimano included - with a quick link.  Makes for easier cleaning and RD setting.

In theory you need to make sure that the added pins allow for chain direction ie pin in the trailing end on the outer plate as the chain enters the chain ring. I connect all chains - Shimano included - with a quick link. Makes for easier cleaning and RD setting.

Never heard that before - hectic! Can you explain why that makes a difference?

I suspect that the quick link  tends to stretch unlike a chain.

Unlike a chain? You surely mean "Just like a chain". All chains stretch over time is my understanding.

Unlike a chain? You surely mean "Just like a chain". All chains stretch over time is my understanding.

No - chains wear not stretch - the inner and outer plates of a chain do not elongate but the pins and rollers wear - but I suspect that the plates of a quick link does stretch.

You learn something new every day: I thought it was 2 max...

I'm sure there's no official spec, but I trust my LBS in terms of what they see on a daily basis. Some people could well say 2 is max, and they're as likely to be right.

What my LBS says is an absolute no-no is having 2 or 3 of these directly next to each other