Racing bike for 8 year old

Darren van Deventer

Guys, respect each other's parenting decisions. If the OP wants to buy his kid a nice bike, let him enjoy the ride.

Last time a thread went in this direction, the Sheriff got banned.

I was just saying. . . I am entitled to my opinion. And the OP is not the father. The kid is his nephew (according to his post, we won't know for sure.....).

In any case, I stand by my opinion that kids shouldn't be doing anything competitive at least until after puberty...

Cheers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would a ladies xs frame be an option? If not then I'd stick with a smaller wheel for now. At 8 years he's going to outgrow bikes REALLY fast.... so my feeling is that trying to get "competitive" in terms of setup at that age is going to be tough on the wallet, plus you're going to be refitting him every other month.

I understand what you saying but it's not the 80s anymore people are learning very young and you have to in order to compete at the levels that they are today he has the balance of being competitive and having fun, xc and mx are his competitive sports hence the reason for looking for a "racing spec" bike if I can say that this has gone completely off topic thank you for all your responses Myles I think that is the way forward will start looking at my options

not surprised that there's a few wtf replies.an 8 year old with competetive sports sounds very much like the 80's to me.... In East Germany.

No he wants to do xc with me has a bmx he plays around with

Two options, look at Isla bikes in the UK, if you have someone that can bring one back for you.  http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ . The other option is to buy a 15 inch carbon frame from China and build a bike yourself.  That is what I did and the bike wieghts about 10kg and my son will be able to use it at least for the next 4 - 5 years. A light bike for kids makes a hugh difference in their enjoyment of cycling.

post-53742-0-46661200-1447132019_thumb.jpg

Two options, look at Isla bikes in the UK, if you have someone that can bring one back for you. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/ . The other option is to buy a 15 inch carbon frame from China and build a bike yourself. That is what I did and the bike wieghts about 10kg and my son will be able to use it at least for the next 4 - 5 years. A light bike for kids makes a hugh difference in their enjoyment of cycling.

This. I would go Chinese Carbon. If you're going all out, even buy the frames for him to grow into now to get a bulk discount and save on shipping and potential exchange rate losses.

Look if you don't want your child to be competitive that's your choice we have a very sporty family and know all to well that if you don't start young your chances of getting somewhere are slim in today's time for example Marc Marquez was winning racing series for mx at the age of five and if you don't know him he is a 4times Moto gp champion today we as a family support each other and I will be buying the bicycle for him another thing is what do you buy for R6000 new today lets be honest What is more ridiculous to me then a 8year old racing is people buying 100k plus bikes I can buy a brand new car for that I bought a brand new enduro Moto bike for less then that but that's their choice at the end of the day not mine so once again thank you to the people that responded to the original post all the information has been helpful

Look if you don't want your child to be competitive that's your choice we have a very sporty family and know all to well that if you don't start young your chances of getting somewhere are slim in today's time for example Marc Marquez was winning racing series for mx at the age of five and if you don't know him he is a 4times Moto gp champion today we as a family support each other and I will be buying the bicycle for him another thing is what do you buy for R6000 new today lets be honest What is more ridiculous to me then a 8year old racing is people buying 100k plus bikes I can buy a brand new car for that I bought a brand new enduro Moto bike for less then that but that's their choice at the end of the day not mine so once again thank you to the people that responded to the original post all the information has been helpful

chill bro, that's a long sentence so early in the morning. Just remember that for every marquez, agassi, messi etc etc. that was identified at a young age and spent their entire youth training there are 1000s of others who tried the same and didn't come off. 

I come from a sailing background - and it is a huge issue trying to keep the kids having a blast on the water without the results ending up the be all and end all. otherwise you end up like this (highly successful russian gymnast team). ze girls having ze fun at ze world champs. they winning, look at ze smiles.

http://cdn.content.compendiumblog.com/uploads/user/3610b5d4-2339-4974-9fa2-6b400bf4f06c/042d5419-57ae-4ac3-ae89-987ca90c617c/Image/576db8ac23104be7f282520b64aa39b3.jpg

I was just saying. . . I am entitled to my opinion. And the OP is not the father. The kid is his nephew (according to his post, we won't know for sure.....).

In any case, I stand by my opinion that kids shouldn't be doing anything competitive at least until after puberty...

Cheers

Problem is, the OP was asking advice on a bike, not parenting. We don't even know for sure what the situation is yet we are quick to judge the OP's parenting skills?

A reply from a mom of a competitive 9 year old cyclist ...............

Get a Momsen, the JR range and JSL range are specifically designed for kids the geometry is totally right for their little bodies. My son started off on a 24" and it completely revolutionized his cycling. It was light and easy for him to handle and maneuver.

He is now on a specifically built 26" Momsen and it's been fantastic! Very light and very competitive. He races XC and marathons. This bike has taken him places let me tell you!!!

We are currently upgrading him to a 650b XS frame Scott

You do what you feel is right and necessary for your nephew you will always have naysayers and people calling you pushy but yes you are right with regards to times moving on .......... Have you seen what the kids are expected to do in Grade 1, 2 and 3 for example compared to what we were expected to do ????

Back to the point - look at the Momsen range you will not go wrong ????????

PM me and I will give you my husbands number if you want to chat ????????

Edit: spelling

As a young rider that started relatively late (13 and in my case I feel I am quite competitive within my age group) I have to agree with some of the sentiments that starting so young can burn people out and I have seen it and heard quite a few stories about it going wrong but there are a few that started that young that do well. My opinion on buying a bicycle for him would be to not go out and buy the best immediately. Start with a good mid level bike and then give him incentives to earn upgrades. Find a loop and reward him for training and improvements in his skills. It'll teach him that he has to work for better gear which can keep him motivated. And most importantly he must have fun. If you see him get to serious to soon give him a bit of a break, there's a time for everything.

As a young rider that started relatively late (13 and in my case I feel I am quite competitive within my age group) I have to agree with some of the sentiments that starting so young can burn people out and I have seen it and heard quite a few stories about it going wrong but there are a few that started that young that do well. My opinion on buying a bicycle for him would be to not go out and buy the best immediately. Start with a good mid level bike and then give him incentives to earn upgrades. Find a loop and reward him for training and improvements in his skills. It'll teach him that he has to work for better gear which can keep him motivated. And most importantly he must have fun. If you see him get to serious to soon give him a bit of a break, there's a time for everything.

After 10 years on the Hub, finally someone posts something sensible.

Well done, i could not agree more.

Problem is, the OP was asking advice on a bike, not parenting. We don't even know for sure what the situation is yet we are quick to judge the OP's parenting skills?

I was definitely not judging anyone. KIDS (yes children) are pushed far too young to compete (why compete?) and to win. What happened to playing? Not everything in life is about winning or to be the best (it is straight from a western greco-roman way of thinking that is plaguing society).

In any way, each to his own. I am a mere rustle in the grass (I do come from a sporting family, and have two degrees in sociology and sport psychology. Not just a couch cyclist...). My opinion is just that, an opinion.

Enjoy

Seriously this is a cycling forum I asked about a bike that's it the litie wants to race on his own behalf no one is forcing him he has been racing mx since he was 5 kids at schools have races as early as 6 what is the difference? You can compete and have fun at the same time it's how you go about it and the way you bring your child up. thanks again I have made a decision and gone with the momsen jsl 60 he loves it and feels he can compete at the next level ???? Will be taking on Phillip and the boys from Scott in no time

I would also be careful about saying the people on here are "just cyclists" there are prob people on here that have a exam pad full of qualifications just saying

Archived