New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Yup spot on. Debit card system (EFTPOS) in NZ is local proprietary, and also free to the consumer. In order to use your SA Mastercard Debit cards you need access to the Mastercard “rails”, which are the same ones used for MC credit cards, and hence attract scheme fees.

Edited by DawieO

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup spot on. Debit card system (EFTPOS) in NZ is local proprietary, and also free to the consumer.

Nothing is ever free. Someone, somehow is paying for it. And that someone is the consumer... ;-)

Greetings all in Kiwi Land!

Apologies for spelling etc, sent on phone. Before I continue just want to give a massive shout out to Patches and Wayne for their invaluable insight to date and a big thank you for fielding all my mundane queries – it really is appreciated.

Thought I needed to cast the knowledge net wider on this one as would appreciate input on schools and/or suitable suburbs. Just to provide some context - I will be visiting NZ in early March to do a bit of a recce mission to get a better understanding of all the good, bad and ugly of NZ and would really appreciate some input as to how best to structure/plan this trip. Essentially I am over to get a better understanding of whether NZ is somewhere I would want to move my family to and if so then where to live and what schools to look at. I am in the banking sector so 90% probability of being based in Auckland (assuming I can find gainful employment your end), that said is it worth trying to get down to Wellington to have a squiz?

i) How long do you think I would need to be in NZ to scope everything out – I was thinking 7 – 10 days?

ii) Does it make sense doing Airbnb in the various suburbs I would be considering to get a feel for the places or would it be better to be based centrally and go and check out the various burbs?

iii) Would it make sense to hire a car or should I rely on Uber/public transport?

iv) I have been told identify a school and then look for a house in that “zoning” district - does this make sense?

v) What schools would you recommend – I have two boys aged 7 & 9 - currently at St Peters in Joeys? I have been told not to bother looking at Pvt Schools as they are simply a waste of money – how do the State Schools in NZ compare to Pvt Schools in SA i.e are the like the Pretoria Boys, KES of the world?

vi) What suburbs should I be considering – I believe the commute into Auckland can be painful but I am happy to jump on public transport and catch up on mails, read a book etc

Thank you advance for any feedback provided.

Later

Hi guys, been in Auckland 2 weeks today. Did some snorkling at goat island, been to a few beaches and done a bit of running.

But don’t see mtbers?

Im in Rothesay bay.

Any of you guys close? And recommend place to ride that i can ride to from here.

I

Hi guys, been in Auckland 2 weeks today. Did some snorkling at goat island, been to a few beaches and done a bit of running.

But don’t see mtbers?

Im in Rothesay bay.

Any of you guys close? And recommend place to ride that i can ride to from here.

I

Is anyone else struggling with this years summer being so miserable and feeling like it just hasnt gotten started?

I spent a fair chunck of my December break in Sydney and the NSW Southern Highlands... I nearly melted!

So I for one am not too adverse to the slightly cooler temps in Auckland at the moment.

The wind however has been really annoying!

But don’t see mtbers?

Im in Rothesay bay.

I

You won't see many MTBers in Rothesay Bay. All the best MTBing around Auckland is over on the west.

How much longer are you around for? I may do a Woodhill trip this coming Saturday. I'm not too far from Rothesay, if you're keen to come along.

I spent a fair chunck of my December break in Sydney and the NSW Southern Highlands... I nearly melted!

So I for one am not too adverse to the slightly cooler temps in Auckland at the moment.

The wind however has been really annoying!

I have just seen a news article about people surfing on Lake Taupo. The strong winds have actually created surfable (is that a word) waves.

Is anyone else struggling with this years summer being so miserable and feeling like it just hasnt gotten started?

Me!

I am probably the whitest I have ever been over December (well after the one where I spent the complete month in Canada!)

I desperately need some time in the sun on the beach!

Thanks to Wayne and all who have contributed to this thread over the passed few years, it's been interesting reading, which now looks to become reality.

My partner was approached by New Zealand rugby towards the end of last year to do a research project for them, I kind of once in a lifetime opportunity for a sports researcher from South Africa. So I said let me see if I can find a job and if so it might be a sign that we should live in NZ for a few years.

I have now been offered a job in Whangarei, my partner can work from home and just needs to commute to Auckland one day/week.

Just a few questions:

Has anyone actually been to Whangarei, any comments as to what it is like?

Is rental housing really as bad as everyone keeps telling me and is pet friendly accommodation impossible to find? (Yes I know everyone says leave the dogs but the hospital pays me a generous moving allowance so taking the dogs  is no financial burden and my partner refuses to go without them).

With the new expat tax to be introduced to SA on the 1st March what are people doing to not have to be an SA tax resident? (I am still going to have to have a bank account and house in Cape Town - my in-laws are moving into our house and are financially dependant on us)

I go from being excited to terrified on pretty much an hourly basis about this decision.

Thanks to Wayne and all who have contributed to this thread over the passed few years, it's been interesting reading, which now looks to become reality.

My partner was approached by New Zealand rugby towards the end of last year to do a research project for them, I kind of once in a lifetime opportunity for a sports researcher from South Africa. So I said let me see if I can find a job and if so it might be a sign that we should live in NZ for a few years.

I have now been offered a job in Whangarei, my partner can work from home and just needs to commute to Auckland one day/week.

Just a few questions:

Is rental housing really as bad as everyone keeps telling me and is pet friendly accommodation impossible to find? (Yes I know everyone says leave the dogs but the hospital pays me a generous moving allowance so taking the dogs  is no financial burden and my partner refuses to go without them).

With the new expat tax to be introduced to SA on the 1st March what are people doing to not have to be an SA tax resident? (I am still going to have to have a bank account and house in Cape Town - my in-laws are moving into our house and are financially dependant on us)

I go from being excited to terrified on pretty much an hourly basis about this decision.

My Uncle and Aunt stay in Whangarei. It a nice town and isn't nearly as "overpopulated" as Auckland CBD. Lots of nice walks and close to the water if you are into tat kind of thing. If I had my way I would move there as well. Temps are normally about 2deg higher than Auckland. Not nearly as much traffic.  Rentals are not nearly as difficult as Auckland.

Just a few questions:

I think Whangarei is nice. Maybe more for were and what you can do from there quite quickly. There's amazing places up there. And like Ramrod said properties there are way more affordable. I won't doubt the move if that is where they would base me.

Edit: on your rental question, no it isn't THAT bad if you look outside of Auckland main areas. I would suggest to try and rent straight from the owners though, I have always done that and have never had issues. T and C's are also more low key.

Edited by hayleyearth

Just a few questions:

What a great adventure!

Just a few questions:

Whangerei is lovely. I'd live there!

Like everyone has said, rentals will be more affordable than Auckland, and it's only 1hr from Paihia (Bay of Islands. Search for it on Google images and you'll be sold!). 

At my previous job I worked with a guy who lived in Whangerei and commuted to Auckland one day a week. He didn't seem to mind and found that the benefit of living up there outweighed the hassle of a 2hr-ish commute (each way) once a week.

Many Aucklanders live within 20km of the CBD and still commute for over an hour (each way) every day.