New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I work with a lady who lives in Whangarei. She commutes twice a week. her husband runs a big Avo farm there (that tells you the weather is quite good)

Its a cool town. Its far away enough from Auckland to be separated from Auckland's troubles (traffic, rental issues etc) but close enough that you can still enjoy the perks of the big city (concerts, international airport etc)

Its a good mix.

Plus its plenty pretty and has access to some amazing spots.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else struggling with this years summer being so miserable and feeling like it just hasnt gotten started?

Nope, we've been having an awesome summer down in Whakatown, bit windy but long hot blue days every day since Christmas day (when it rained). Finally had a drop of water last night which was most welcome, I put Weed n Feed on my lawn about a week ago and have had to water every day or the heat stress + nutrient based herbicide would have given it a proper PK...

Thanks to Wayne and all who have contributed to this thread over the passed few years, it's been interesting reading, which now looks to become reality.

My partner was approached by New Zealand rugby towards the end of last year to do a research project for them, I kind of once in a lifetime opportunity for a sports researcher from South Africa. So I said let me see if I can find a job and if so it might be a sign that we should live in NZ for a few years.

I have now been offered a job in Whangarei, my partner can work from home and just needs to commute to Auckland one day/week.

Just a few questions:

Has anyone actually been to Whangarei, any comments as to what it is like?

Is rental housing really as bad as everyone keeps telling me and is pet friendly accommodation impossible to find? (Yes I know everyone says leave the dogs but the hospital pays me a generous moving allowance so taking the dogs  is no financial burden and my partner refuses to go without them).

With the new expat tax to be introduced to SA on the 1st March what are people doing to not have to be an SA tax resident? (I am still going to have to have a bank account and house in Cape Town - my in-laws are moving into our house and are financially dependant on us)

I go from being excited to terrified on pretty much an hourly basis about this decision.

Whangarei's awesome, you'll love it. And Paihia is a short drive North and IMHO one of the nicest places in NZ (Bay of Islands). Exciting times ahead! 

Thanks to Wayne and all who have contributed to this thread over the passed few years, it's been interesting reading, which now looks to become reality.

My partner was approached by New Zealand rugby towards the end of last year to do a research project for them, I kind of once in a lifetime opportunity for a sports researcher from South Africa. So I said let me see if I can find a job and if so it might be a sign that we should live in NZ for a few years.

I have now been offered a job in Whangarei, my partner can work from home and just needs to commute to Auckland one day/week.

Just a few questions:

Is rental housing really as bad as everyone keeps telling me and is pet friendly accommodation impossible to find? (Yes I know everyone says leave the dogs but the hospital pays me a generous moving allowance so taking the dogs  is no financial burden and my partner refuses to go without them).

With the new expat tax to be introduced to SA on the 1st March what are people doing to not have to be an SA tax resident? (I am still going to have to have a bank account and house in Cape Town - my in-laws are moving into our house and are financially dependant on us)

I go from being excited to terrified on pretty much an hourly basis about this decision.

Very nice place, to me it had a "feel" like Knysna sort of vibe and weather, when we visited there. Have an ex-saffer mate who lives there, he says he will never leave Whangarai (Fangary).

Tomorrow looks like a good weather day.

I want to take the kids mountain biking.

Thinking about riding in Hunua.

My son will be on a 24inch and my daughter on a little trailer bike. So it can’t be super challenging. Ideally a mix of gravel road and a sprinkling of single track.

I know DawieO rides there quite a bit. So I am looking for a few tips on some family friendly trails? I want to get in somewhere between 15-20km of trails.

Is it super hilly?

My son will be on a 24inch and my daughter on a little trailer bike. So it can’t be super challenging. Ideally a mix of gravel road and a sprinkling of single track.

I know DawieO rides there quite a bit. So I am looking for a few tips on some family friendly trails? I want to get in somewhere between 15-20km of trails.

Is it super hilly?

Hey Wayne! The area is the Mangatawhiri reserve at Hunua.

The trails are nicely marked and the one you want is the Valley track. It is dirt road and dual track all the way and about 15km. There is one little detour through a small river that may require a short walk, but even that is very pretty.

The Mumukai Farm track is the one with some great single track, but quite twisty and steep, and can get technical so keep that for when you want to have a bit of single track fun.

The River track, yeah nah...

I’ve been out there 3 times this last week and the place is in great shape. Enjoy it!

Edited by DawieO

Is it super hilly?

Some inspiration....

Another sucker loses their shirt in BrisVegas !

:D

totally unplanned trip that we had some fun on. Lets just say, my domestic travel budget for the first few months is non existant.

Had a jol though. 10/10 - would do again.

Someone once said to me to always remember that if a roller coaster wasn't scary, it would be just a boring train ride. Enjoy!

Edited by DJR

Just a few questions:

good on you Nix !!!

ummmm no mention of your bicycle collection .... :nuke: