New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Another good... parental leave pay... $712.17 (gross) per week for 6 months.

I know compared to the Scandinavians and other European countries, this isn't amazing, but it's something, and definitely takes the sting out of trying to pay a mortgage on a single income.

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, patches said:

Another good... parental leave pay... $712.17 (gross) per week for 6 months.

I know compared to the Scandinavians and other European countries, this isn't amazing, but it's something, and definitely takes the sting out of trying to pay a mortgage on a single income.

That is super cool, is it dependant on your earnings?

2 hours ago, rad006 said:

That is super cool, is it dependant on your earnings?

To clarify, that is for the primary caregiver. The partner doesn't get anything from the government. But still, it all helps.

As for earnings dependant, yup. It's for primary caregivers that were employed prior to going on parental leave. $712/week is the max. So if one earned that, or more, that's what they get. Anything less the government will pay at the earned rate.

There is also another payment from months 6-12 of $69/week, regardless of earning and leave (so even if the primary caregiver is back at work)

On 8/31/2023 at 8:10 PM, patches said:

To clarify, that is for the primary caregiver. The partner doesn't get anything from the government. But still, it all helps.

As for earnings dependant, yup. It's for primary caregivers that were employed prior to going on parental leave. $712/week is the max. So if one earned that, or more, that's what they get. Anything less the government will pay at the earned rate.

There is also another payment from months 6-12 of $69/week, regardless of earning and leave (so even if the primary caregiver is back at work)

Some companies also pay full salary during parental leave, many different conditions then, some pay up to 6 months if taken in the 1st 6 months or some pay 3 months taken at any time before the child turns 2 years old. Both these examples can be either the dad or the mom that gets it (so primary carer).

3 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Some companies also pay full salary during parental leave, many different conditions then, some pay up to 6 months if taken in the 1st 6 months or some pay 3 months taken at any time before the child turns 2 years old. Both these examples can be either the dad or the mom that gets it (so primary carer).

Yeah, some companies are great like that with top-up payments (my wife is lucky enough to have one such employer)... some companies are not.. (I didn't get any paid partner's leave, whereas many corporates these days offer 2 weeks)

On 8/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, patches said:

The good...

I finally applied for my citizenship...

...sadly though, my Aus visitors visa has expired and I was hoping that I would have a little black passport by the time I head across the Tasman again (therefore not needing to renew said visitor visa), but alas, citizenship processing times seem to range from 5 - 15 months. So I won't hold my breath.

@Wayne Potgieter, how long was the processing time frame for your citizenship, and how long after that for passports?

aaand approved. So like @hayleyearth they took about 1 month to process. Pretty darn good!

But now the wait for the next available ceremony.

21 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

haha!! imagine you get invited to the same one than me!!!

9th October at Westlake Girls High? hahaha

14 minutes ago, patches said:

9th October at Westlake Girls High? hahaha

Ah, you don't fall in the Auckland region one, I am at the Auckland Town Hall on the 2nd Oct. I am happy about the venue and it is also a fancy evening doo

32 minutes ago, hayleyearth said:

Ah, you don't fall in the Auckland region one, I am at the Auckland Town Hall on the 2nd Oct. I am happy about the venue and it is also a fancy evening doo

Yeah, I guess the Shore needs one of their own... I'm just surprised it's not in Browns Bay 😅

3 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

According to the invite:

image.png.e3f732d945daf0695a06804f6b07e467.pngWhat traditional South African outfit will you be sporting?

Wonder if this one is allowed...

Safari Suit VSS5 Hire Costume*

9 hours ago, patches said:

According to the invite:

image.png.e3f732d945daf0695a06804f6b07e467.pngWhat traditional South African outfit will you be sporting?

Wonder if this one is allowed...

Safari Suit VSS5 Hire Costume*

No dude ... unless you have English heritage, you need more two tone and shorter shorts

I've searched everywhere for this fit on the interweb, where would one get  it in the uk ? : r/southafrica

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

No dude ... unless you have English heritage, you need more two tone and shorter shorts

I've searched everywhere for this fit on the interweb, where would one get  it in the uk ? : r/southafrica

Pure Soutie here... English on my Mom's side, Welsh on my dads. Both grew up in Zim.

In fact my great-great grandfather was one of wagon drivers when the controversial Mr CJ Rhodes exlpored/exploited up north.

Looks like great-great grand-pappy would have worn a pith helmet.

image.png.31e05f68df05a8c39bd113579a686a7a.png

I'm living proof that those eyebrows are genetic... maybe the mo is too, haven't tried!

Edited by patches

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, patches said:

The good...

I finally applied for my citizenship...

...sadly though, my Aus visitors visa has expired and I was hoping that I would have a little black passport by the time I head across the Tasman again (therefore not needing to renew said visitor visa), but alas, citizenship processing times seem to range from 5 - 15 months. So I won't hold my breath.

@Wayne Potgieter, how long was the processing time frame for your citizenship, and how long after that for passports?

How long did your last AUS visitors visa take to be approved?

My moms online application has not changed status since the 11th and she went for biometrics on the 13th.

5 minutes ago, hayleyearth said:

How long did your last AUS visitors visa take to be approved?

My moms online application has not changed status since the 11th and she went for biometrics on the 13th.

They're slower than usual these days. Visa grant used to come through a day-or-two after biometrics.

But with my recently it took about a week.

• Visa Application: 28/08
  • Biometrics submitted: 31/08
  • Visa Granted: 07/09

Also the status on the Immi website didn't change once I submitted biometrics, well not until the visa was granted, and I didn't receive any emails confirming Biometrics were submitted (not from Immi or from VFS), I just trustd them.

It just went straight form Application Submitted, to Finalised

image.png.6cff444b4732257c3133b0987c040e9d.png

So yeah, hopefully your Mom's visa will be approved in the next few days.