New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I know I have asked this before, but except for Woodhill and Riverhead, are there any other MTB tracks worthwhile on the North Shore?

I see the one at Albany University is closed down.

Alternatively, anyone here with a route they can share going on gravel roads in the dairy flats/Silverdale area?

Looking to get some distance in early Saturday morning.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I have asked this before, but except for Woodhill and Riverhead, are there any other MTB tracks worthwhile on the North Shore?

Alternatively, anyone here with a route they can share going on gravel roads in the dairy flats/Silverdale area?

There isn't much on the North Shore riding wise. For short rides you can go to Longbay or to Sanders reserve. 

For longer rides maybe check out Auckland MTB club's Facebook page, they did a gravel ride out in Warkworth the other day. https://www.facebook.com/akmtb/

If you are happy to do a couple of laps you can also check out Arch Hill

https://www.facebook.com/ArchHillMTB/

If you want to head South there's some XC-ish tracks at Hunua Forest. Most are metalled so they hold up well in winter too. 

@Intern might have some ideas for routes around Silverdale area.

Heaps of really good gravel riding out past Silverdale/Wainui Road area. Look for Monowai Rd, go up Krippner which is a seriously steep (sealed) climb which leads into farmlands, check out Haruru Rd and on to Tahekeroa Rd, Kanohi Rd, Tuhirangi, etc. Not really 'MTB' per se, I have ridden nearly all of those on my road bike, but some quality, hard n hilly farm roads to explore.

See above; if it is distance you want, then head out and start in Puhoi. Here's an example of a circuit you can do https://www.strava.com/segments/830742

I have been following this thread for a long time. Some very good information on here. I appreciate the honest opinions many of you have shared.

At last, I have my visitors visa approved and will be coming to Auckland at the end of July on a job finding mission - C# Developer.

I am extremely excited - hopefully, I will join the many happy ex-South Africans in New Zealand before the end of the year.

Good luck mate. Most important thing to make it here is to have a positive attitude. Skillz, mad, helps too of course :)

See above; if it is distance you want, then head out and start in Puhoi. Here's an example of a circuit you can do https://www.strava.com/segments/830742

So those are non-tarred roads?

I am most probably getting a CX bike in December, something a bit more gravel friendly but still good for distance. Would love to go explore like that.

Yep Hayley those are 'metal' roads, not tarred. All the road names I've mentioned above are dirt - excellent exploring oppos out there, all the way further North, towards Warkworth; nice road riding too out to Port Albert/Tapora/Wellsford, beautiful rolling countryside...can all be done on a regular road bike, but MTB or gravel bike will probably be a bit better for handling the gnarlier stuff...

So those are non-tarred roads?

I am most probably getting a CX bike in December, something a bit more gravel friendly but still good for distance. Would love to go explore like that.

Heaps of really good gravel riding out past Silverdale/Wainui Road area. Look for Monowai Rd, go up Krippner which is a seriously steep (sealed) climb which leads into farmlands, check out Haruru Rd and on to Tahekeroa Rd, Kanohi Rd, Tuhirangi, etc. Not really 'MTB' per se, I have ridden nearly all of those on my road bike, but some quality, hard n hilly farm roads to explore.

If you want to head South there's some XC-ish tracks at Hunua Forest. Most are metalled so they hold up well in winter too. 

@Intern might have some ideas for routes around Silverdale area.

There isn't much on the North Shore riding wise. For short rides you can go to Longbay or to Sanders reserve. 

For longer rides maybe check out Auckland MTB club's Facebook page, they did a gravel ride out in Warkworth the other day. https://www.facebook.com/akmtb/

If you are happy to do a couple of laps you can also check out Arch Hill

https://www.facebook.com/ArchHillMTB/

Thanx to all, very helpful! I really enjoy Woodhill for MTB'ing but when time crunched it does not make sense to ride there by car for 1h and 1h back!

(yes I know I can ride there with my bike......but still seems unsafe?) 

Thanx to all, very helpful! I really enjoy Woodhill for MTB'ing but when time crunched it does not make sense to ride there by car for 1h and 1h back!

(yes I know I can ride there with my bike......but still seems unsafe?) 

I had the same issue - when you have limited time, it is best to ride straight out the front door. I've ridden to Woodhill a couple of times when I lived in Silverdale, it is very do-able, not at all dangerous...

BTW Saag, and I know you have probably said it many times before, but where are you located? Whangaparaoa IIRC? There is (or was, with all the development going on now, it might have disappeared) some MTB tracks at the back of Orewa...off Hillcrest Road, just go up there until you see some dirt off on the side, go down a steep hill, there were some jumps and what have you made by local folks as well as some pretty handy singletrack. Some of it might be in Alice Eaves, which technically you aren't supposed to bike in, but...you know...

BTW Saag, and I know you have probably said it many times before, but where are you located? Whangaparaoa IIRC? There is (or was, with all the development going on now, it might have disappeared) some MTB tracks at the back of Orewa...off Hillcrest Road, just go up there until you see some dirt off on the side, go down a steep hill, there were some jumps and what have you made by local folks as well as some pretty handy singletrack. Some of it might be in Alice Eaves, which technically you aren't supposed to bike in, but...you know...

I'm at the edge of Army Bay, right next to Shakespeare Park. Will definitely go look for those tracks.  :thumbup:

Nice place to be, Army Bay. You'll be looking for a bit of a dirt track on the LHS quite far up - there used to be a barrier gate thing across the road and there was a new site office going in there, IIRC, around where on the left there is access...

I'm at the edge of Army Bay, right next to Shakespeare Park. Will definitely go look for those tracks.  :thumbup:

Nice surfing, kiting and paddleboarding around there! :)

Those of you getting frustrated by all the rain, I'm selling my Kickr - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1365940886

Hahaha!

This week has been difficult again, compared to last week.

I was on the brink last night to do indoor riding... my flat mate actually told me "just use my trainer" ..he didn't know I have one of my own. I just cant get myself to do indoor training of any sorts.

I got poured on properly on Wednesday on my ride from work. It was difficult to see where I was going actually. And my brakes didn't work as good (road bike). This morning I braved it in with a swimming cap under my helmet. I didn't want my hair to be soaking again as I am feeling a bit of a snotty nose, scratchy throat and drip starting. I think it is of riding and running in the rain the last week /weekends. This morning was a nice ride though.

Have to say, the sunrises are beautiful the last week or so. Hard to believe soon I will be commuting in full lit skies again.