New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Haha, I skipped mentioning the blogs. I think they're all crap. Whaleoil is literal crap, and I find kiwiblog and dailyblog too one-eyed in their respective views, although there is good content mixed in. Mostly I get too annoyed reading either.

I find the blogs enormously useful in finding out who is who - I don't take Whaleoil seriously, but I like seeing who is being talked about and all the blogs routinely serve as the start of a wormhole to read up on past 'luminaries' - like Muldoon, Shipley, Anderton, even the venerated MJS, Fraser, Douglas, Cullen, etc. Gets your knowledge of NZ's history a bit better, I find, and you don't have to agree with anything said there either.

As well as, of course, getting perspectives and insights on the politicians 'du jour'...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember an ex-boss of mine telling me "You'd hate it in New Zealand - the critical issue of the day was that the ferry driving between the North and South Islands was doing 4 knots instead of 3 knots and thus 'destroying' the shore line" (or somesuch)...

The most aggressive form of personal confrontation is the sternly-worded note left in your mailbox...

Thanks all!

Also as a discussion point..anybody here want to venture into...Aus(Melbourne/Sydney) versus Nz(Auckland).Education systems..Economy..Social..cost of living..weather and so on.

If you had the chance to do both..why would you choose the one above the other?

Thinking of studying a degree....

BSC (Psych) 

As a white Zimbabwean, who chose to study Agriculture in 1982, you should take no advice from me.  

But, my current view is that the only thing to study is Accounting.  Once you know how money works, you can do ANYTHING else better from that point...  and how hard can it be?  All you need to know is plus and minus like in grade 3?  ;)

(Or did I miss the point - is this to be able to engage delicately with the Kiwi's?  

Speaking of which, I remember a conversation with a boss in the UK who turned to me and said "You're lucky that I've worked with Saffa's before so won't take offence to that."  

I had no idea what I said that was out of the ordinary - it was just an ordinary conversation about possible options.)

Edited by davetapson

Thinking of studying a degree....

BSC (Psych) 

With a view to a career change, or just for fun? I did a couple years of industrial/organisational psychology way back in my BCom, and found it really interesting (and useful).

I want to do a bsc psych major with a minor in business.

I already have a degree in business so as far as accounting and so on I am all goods.

It's mostly for personal interest but if I add one or two relevant minors to my career that won't hurt.

Best wishes Wayne!

Funnily enough, I was thinking of finally finishing the BA I started through UNISA in 1995. I've only got maybe 3 papers to do...but the real mission now is pulling my academic record from UNISA. Anyone had any experience with that?