New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Very nice WP. Go to Kawau Island, short ferry trip out of Sandspit. It is by far my favourite Hauraki Gulf island, though I have yet to make it to Great Barrier.

Motutapu is pretty cool though, nice picnic spots on it; Motuihe, you should go camp on (good fishing all around it) and then the ones slightly south of Waiheke - Chamberlins, Pakihi, Rotoroa - are also really special.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice WP. Go to Kawau Island, short ferry trip out of Sandspit. It is by far my favourite Hauraki Gulf island, though I have yet to make it to Great Barrier.

Motutapu is pretty cool though, nice picnic spots on it; Motuihe, you should go camp on (good fishing all around it) and then the ones slightly south of Waiheke - Chamberlins, Pakihi, Rotoroa - are also really special.

+1 on that. Kawau is nice trip. Good walks on the island too.

The old mansion house is a pretty cool look into what it must have been like in the early western inhabited times.

839_image1_Kawau-Grab-Image.jpg

I was born in Grey's Hospital; the mansion belonged to George Grey, same guy as the hossie in Maritzburg was named for (he funded it). Also, if you go into the mansion, it is full of Zulu and other African mementos; Grey was a big colonial figure in NZ and SA...

I am going to GB this weekend :)

We are only taking 7kgs each and in that is all food (for 2.2 days), cooking equipment and a sleeping bag too.

I am going to GB this weekend :)

We are only taking 7kgs each and in that is all food (for 2.2 days), cooking equipment and a sleeping bag too.

Jealous. Have always wanted to go there on my boat.

The weather was awesome indeed!

We decided to go camping at Martin's Bay (only about 1hr out of Auckland).

post-10758-0-72356600-1512419234_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-37692500-1512419264_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-37692500-1512419264_thumb.jpg

Must say though, if one didn't get a beachfront site then the park is pretty crowded with caravans. It's also quite pricey for a cmpsite at $25pppn.

I think I need a boat... or a kayak and some training, haha! I'm keen to go camping on Motutapu and Motuora islands.

post-10758-0-39361600-1512419890_thumb.png

post-10758-0-25561900-1512419329_thumb.jpg

If you want to camp Motutapu, just catch the Rangitoto ferry and get off at Motutapu.

I am planning a weekend trip there in mid january with the munchkins

If you want to camp Motutapu, just catch the Rangitoto ferry and get off at Motutapu.

Oh awesome! I thought the only way there via ferry was to catch the one to Rangitoto, then hike across to Motutapu at low tide.

I was fine with that and my hiking tent (sub 2kg, but coffin like), but I wasn't keen to hike with the spacious tent (at around 15kg).

Good to know there is a Motutapu ferry option too. Thanks Wayne  :thumbup:

Oh awesome! I thought the only way there via ferry was to catch the one to Rangitoto, then hike across to Motutapu at low tide.

I was fine with that and my hiking tent (sub 2kg, but coffin like), but I wasn't keen to hike with the spacious tent (at around 15kg).

I was just looking on Fullers and it seems they only do 1 trip to Home Bay Wharf each month. 

10 Dec 2017

21 Jan 2018

18 Feb 2018

So options seem to be

• Rangitoto Ferry and Hike
  • Get own Boat/Kayak
  • Water Taxi
  • or pack enough food to live there for a month :lol:

It is a really easy walk from the Rangitoto ferry to Motatapu (you don't have to go over the volcano) and it isn't a tide thing, there is 'a bridge'.

Regarding food for hiking etc., we took just these to Great Barrier this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the porridge and muesli breakfast options, because I am a difficult breakfast person and I finished mine. (Cheapest I have found was at Torpedo7).

http://backcountrycuisine.co.nz/bcc/index.php/archives/category/breakfast

Easy and cheap - just add one cup boiling water to most of the options and wait 10min.