New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

There goes the neighbourhood!

I'll bring a beer on moving day. Luckily I now have a lifetime exemption of having to actually assist in helping to move people.

PS. Bring snake repellent (this is not normally a statement you find on a NZ themed thread). I gather the local facebook pages are full of snake sightings and removals lately. We had our first carpet python of the season cruising across the driveway a few nights ago. 

post-10758-0-12218500-1602546720_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes the neighbourhood!

I'll bring a beer on moving day. Luckily I now have a lifetime exemption of having to actually assist in helping to move people.

PS. Bring snake repellent (this is not normally a statement you find on a NZ themed thread). I gather the local facebook pages are full of snake sightings and removals lately. We had our first carpet python of the season cruising across the driveway a few nights ago. 

You'll know the place. New development, just up from the school. 

Beers sound like an epic idea!

Ps. Need the name of your pool builder please

Edited by GrahamS2

You'll know the place. New development, just up from the school. 

Beers sound like an epic idea!

Ps. Need the name of your pool builder please

That brings to mind an observation...

Are swimming pools common in Brisbane? I'd imagine with the heat they would be.

They're not very common in Auckland. And funny enough, even speaking to a friend who grew up in Perth, he said they're not that common there.

In JHB it's pretty common for middle-to-upper market houses to have one, and at one stage it was almost weird if a house didn't. 

Very interesting fred; the lives of modern day Great Trekkers.

But may I ask two questions about emigration?

What is the feeling about when NZ will "open" up to international travel or migration from SA?

Any thoughts on the teaching profession in NZ?

Neither for me but interested tribesman.

Very interesting fred; the lives of modern day Great Trekkers.

But may I ask two questions about emigration?

What is the feeling about when NZ will "open" up to international travel or migration from SA?

Any thoughts on the teaching profession in NZ?

Neither for me but interested tribesman.

Not too sure on that first one. NZ has only just opened up a 1 way bubble with certain states in Australia. South Africa's risk profile is too high for the government's liking so it may be a while. I would say anything before April next year would be highly optimistic.

On that second one, generally SA teachers are very well liked here, and most of the SA teachers I know that have moved have found jobs really easily. Some even before their partners (who were the breadwinners back in SA).

Pay is reasonable, and ranges from about $50,000 upwards, depending on experience, what type of teacher (primary, secondary etc), and any specialties can pay a little higher. I knew a high school guidance counsellor in Christchurch who was on about $100k.

That brings to mind an observation...

Are swimming pools common in Brisbane? I'd imagine with the heat they would be.

They're not very common in Auckland. And funny enough, even speaking to a friend who grew up in Perth, he said they're not that common there.

In JHB it's pretty common for middle-to-upper market houses to have one, and at one stage it was almost weird if a house didn't. 

I think swimming pool distribution here follows suburb histories & demographics. The old houses and blocks of land in the inner city suburbs are generally too small for pools, so not as common there. Suburbs developed in the 70's to 2000's often hit the sweet spot in terms of size of available space, people having brought up their kids in them so have put in pools, and also people becoming wealthier and being able to afford them.

Very new developments / suburbs are often starter homes, so people have not got the cash for a pool just yet.

But yes, pools are reasonably common. The weather helps. Although on the really bad 40 degree C days, you only can swim early morning and late afternoon without turning crispy. In Auckland, when the swimming weather can probably be measured in minutes per one or two days a year, there would not be so many kids clamouring for a pool. Aren't hot-tubs more popular though ?

As the previous owner of a tree infested pool, if I never own a pool again it would be too soon.

Some friends of ours have moved into a house with a pool that is currently 12 deg or so, not even the kids will swim in it. 

I can't really see the value of a pool in Auckland, unless seriously heated.  Brisbane, maybe, but no trees. Better a neighbour with a pool..!

Which leads to the observation that those black hot water camping bags that used to get scorching in SA never really seem to get hot here.  There might be a real bite in the sun due to lack of UV, but there is no real heat in it somehow.

As the previous owner of a tree infested pool, if I never own a pool again it would be too soon.

Some friends of ours have moved into a house with a pool that is currently 12 deg or so, not even the kids will swim in it. 

I can't really see the value of a pool in Auckland, unless seriously heated.  Brisbane, maybe, but no trees. Better a neighbour with a pool..!

Which leads to the observation that those black hot water camping bags that used to get scorching in SA never really seem to get hot here.  There might be a real bite in the sun due to lack of UV, but there is no real heat in it somehow.

Back in SA, we had a beautiful looking bougainvillea next to the pool. Well, it looks good until all the flowers shed into the water.

When they were digging the earthworks for my pool in Brissie, I got the digger operator to rip out the established bougainvillea that would have been right next to it. Life's too short for that.

Otherwise, the salt water pools here do seem to be a lot more "fire and forget" than the chemically dosed ones I was used to in SA.

Back in SA, we had a beautiful looking bougainvillea next to the pool. Well, it looks good until all the flowers shed into the water.

When they were digging the earthworks for my pool in Brissie, I got the digger operator to rip out the established bougainvillea that would have been right next to it. Life's too short for that.

Otherwise, the salt water pools here do seem to be a lot more "fire and forget" than the chemically dosed ones I was used to in SA.

Previous house had a small 'plunge pool' in a tiled court yard with no vegetation to be seen and a salt chlorinator.  I used to remember to do something about it every three months or so and it worked like a charm.  But still can't lose the experience of the other pool... utter misery.

Should have chopped the trees down, but I preferred the trees to the pool.  Cut 17 other trees out of that garden and you could hardly notice.

Mineral pools is where it's at these days ;)

. (because we can't delete)
Was opinion piece on 'this wasn't a recession, it was an external event, so recovery will be quicker than a normal market cycle.'

Edited by davetapson

Well that was an interesting weekend in politics...

Thoughts?

I have a few:

• Great result for David Seymour and ACT
  • Happy to see Winston Peters and Shane Jones out (although this is a two-edged sword...watch what happens at Ilhumatao, for example)
  • The Nats were in disarray and the poll reflects it.
  • Stunning result for Labour, particularly in light of their multiple demonstrable failures in every policy area, and the continued mendacity of Jacinda Ardern on eg child poverty and COVID 'hard and early'.
  • Good result for the Greens, especially with the Auckland Central electorate seat. But they probably will not be part of Government because of Labour's outright majority.

I'm not thrilled with the result as the Labour majority will probably come with bigger government and lots more interference in our private lives. But 'alea iacta est', as the Romans say in the Asterix comix. The die is cast...