New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Yeah, you learn about Heller's pretty damn quick and don't do that again. 

These were specialty sausages from Seaview Butchery in Milford - 'The Original's, that made our name' in between a bunch of other lamb and mint and pork and apple and whatever varieties.

They may as well have been Heller's.

Kiwi concepts of a sausage is like somebody who's read about them in a book, but never experienced what a real one is like.  Or you need to fry them in an inch of bacon grease or something.

Pinehill Butchery and Meatbox do decent wors, thank goodness. 

Oh yeah, that's at the end of my street. I think I have bought sausages there once. My regular butcher is Well Hung in Milford. They also do great wors. Westmere Butchery (if you find yourself south of the bridge) is also worth a visit.

Years ago I got some wors and "eskcort" pork sausages from a South African shop in St Ives, Sydney. My partner's parents thought the sausages were some of the best they have ever tasted.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave, Patches and anyone else, I am riding at Riverhead, WCRC side, from about 5,30 tonight and a few beers at Hallertau after. If you are keen to join let me know and I will look out for you. 

Hi Dave, Patches and anyone else, I am riding at Riverhead, WCRC side, from about 5,30 tonight and a few beers at Hallertau after. If you are keen to join let me know and I will look out for you. 

in a few weeks, I will live super close to this and be keen!

in a few weeks, I will live super close to this and be keen!

Where you moving to Wayne?

Edited by davetapson

Squash tonight for me, but looking to ride riverhead/woodhill this weekend, if anyone is keen.

Nice.

We currently looking for new rental for end Jan as our current rental has been sold.  Wouldn't mind if there was a new house at the end of the line... well, there will be, but not in 10 months.

Nice.

We currently looking for new rental for end Jan as our current rental has been sold.  Wouldn't mind if there was a new house at the end of the line... well, there will be, but not in 10 months.

House prices are going nuts, both my neighbours have sold within the last 3 months. If their prices are anything to go by I am happy I bought when I did, which was only 2,5 years ago!

I move to a temporary rental to Silverdale on Monday. Then chill out for 10 months while we build in Millwater.

Exciting news!

It's really nice in and around Silverdale and Millwater! All the best for the build!

What's with just about all rental downstairs rooms being damp or smelling damp.

Don't they know about damp courses?

It's the kiwi way! If it doesn't smell damp, how do you know it's a genuine NZ built house? :lol:

"rumpus rooms" seem to be the worst as there are generally no/very few windows. and poor ventilation.

It's the kiwi way! If it doesn't smell damp, how do you know it's a genuine NZ built house? :lol:

"rumpus rooms" seem to be the worst as there are generally no/very few windows. and poor ventilation.

Isn't "damp" just an inherent feature of the atmosphere in NZ, and it just settles downwards?

"Rumpus rooms" in QLD are also generally a poor addition to the house. Either the garage was converted by bricking up the garage door. Alternatively, they have enclosed or re-purposed the underside of the house which is typically not of legal height for habitation purposes. When we were househunting we learnt that if anything was described as a rumpus, just stay away.

Our current 'rumpus' is is like that in spades - useful for storage and miraculously not too much went mouldy...

Currently looking for a new rental and there have been a number that would have been fine if they weren't damp - but I just think 'would I live in a room like this, or want one of my kids to live in a room like this' and the answer is no.  I'm just wondering if I'm being picky given how prevalent it is.

I used the 'rumpus' as an office during the plague months and came to loathe it...

Isn't "damp" just an inherent feature of the atmosphere in NZ, and it just settles downwards?

"Rumpus rooms" in QLD are also generally a poor addition to the house. Either the garage was converted by bricking up the garage door. Alternatively, they have enclosed or re-purposed the underside of the house which is typically not of legal height for habitation purposes. When we were househunting we learnt that if anything was described as a rumpus, just stay away.

NZ turns to mud in winter, just about everywhere.  One would assume that wherever a house has contact with the ground that some sort of waterproofing layer would make sense.  It's not obvious that it is a practice tho.

NZ turns to mud in winter, just about everywhere.  One would assume that wherever a house has contact with the ground that some sort of waterproofing layer would make sense.  It's not obvious that it is a practice tho.

I watch a lot of Scott Brown carpentry on Youtube, he builds in NZ.

You can tell why that is with older houses when they get into the foundations. Fortunately the codes are a lot stricter these days so its probably less of an issue on newer builds.

I watch a lot of Scott Brown carpentry on Youtube, he builds in NZ.

You can tell why that is with older houses when they get into the foundations. Fortunately the codes are a lot stricter these days so its probably less of an issue on newer builds.

I'll have a look...