New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Need to get an mtb for 10 yo.

Bit stymied with the 'but he will grow out of it' but that's part of the deal I suppose.

Small adult 27.5? Probably Torpedo 7?

I ended up letting my guy (11 - but short) use a second hand 24 inch Giant XTC Junior. He is a little big for it to be honest. But for around the hood thrashing and riding to school, it's perfectly fine and I don't really care what happens to it.

When we hit trails, he takes my wife's Small Giant Trance 2 27.5. It's a good fit but it's a lot of bike (hence why we don't let him take it to school).

If you are toying with sizing, you are welcome to take the 27.5 Trance and see how he rides it. I don't mind at all if you borrow it for a weekend and go for a few rides. It will probably give you a good understanding of the fit before buying something. Sometimes it's difficult to make an assessment in a store.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I'm fresh off the boat from Joburg & staying on the Northshore. Need to find someone to show me around some of the riding spots. MTB & road. Clippies I see you in the area. Would be keen to buy you a beer sometime if you like

Hey Kenneth, keen for a beer and Northshore makes it easy. Thursday is good for me. Will also ride this weekend, probably out at Woodhill so if you are keen you are welcome to join. Riverhead gets a bit messy after the rains and not worth it unless you like gravel roads. 

Need to get an mtb for 10 yo.

Bit stymied with the 'but he will grow out of it' but that's part of the deal I suppose.

Small adult 27.5? Probably Torpedo 7?

Dave, the Marin hardtails at 99 Bikes are a good deal. 

Seems we again have a few guys shore side that ride.

Ping me your details if interested and maybe we can get a whats app ride group going?

Seems we again have a few guys shore side that ride.

Ping me your details if interested and maybe we can get a whats app ride group going?

Hi eibmoZ, I've pinged though my application to join this North Shore Bicycle Gang which you speak of!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a tough day in the office on Friday...

post-10758-0-26396900-1619990815_thumb.jpg

Early morning departure from Whangaparaoa marina

post-10758-0-86264100-1619990843_thumb.jpg

Heading out from there to the mussel farms near the Coromandel

post-10758-0-13929000-1619990915_thumb.jpg

Good day fishing! Action packed! We each got our 7 for the day!

Luckily one of the others on the boat mentioned that Oceanz (Greville road) will fillet for you at $3.50/fish.

I ended up with around 2kg ($90) of snapper fillet!

Had a tough day in the office on Friday...

attachicon.gif20210430_075956.jpg

Early morning departure from Whangaparaoa marina

attachicon.gif20210430_080336.jpg

Heading out from there to the mussel farms near the Coromandel

attachicon.gif20210430_162217.jpg

Good day fishing! Action packed! We each got our 7 for the day!

Luckily one of the others on the boat mentioned that Oceanz (Greville road) will fillet for you at $3.50/fish.

The mussel farms are legendary.  We were camping out on the Coromandel one time at Te Puru and the boaties were catching so much they came over and said 'here you go' and gave us a bunch of fillets.

Same time there was a Maori family who where tucking into a bucket of something so went over to have a look and came back with a basin full of pipis. 

TBH preferred the snapper to the pipis...

Cool. And getting someone to do the hard yards of filleting is even better. 

My fav snapper recipe is mix salt, pepper & dried herbs in flour, dip the fillet in egg, coat with the flour & pan fry.

Drop some garlic prawns in the same pan in the last few minutes - gives a little cross-pollination of flavours.

Cool. And getting someone to do the hard yards of filleting is even better. 

My fav snapper recipe is mix salt, pepper & dried herbs in flour, dip the fillet in egg, coat with the flour & pan fry.

Drop some garlic prawns in the same pan in the last few minutes - gives a little cross-pollination of flavours.

As a vaalie I have no clue or business filleting a fish  :ph34r: :lol:

But yeah, definitely some nice battered fillets on the cards. Plus I recently discovered this:

Culleys_Kitchen_Pickle-naise__55341.1615

So tasty on everything it graces! And as it says on the bottle "Great on Fish"

But yeah, definitely some nice battered fillets on the cards. Plus I recently discovered this:

Culleys are amazing. Almost everything they make is plant based so it features a lot in my house. 

Their Chipotle Reaper hot sauce is to die for

Culleys are amazing. Almost everything they make is plant based so it features a lot in my house. 

Their Chipotle Reaper hot sauce is to die for

Was going to suggest it as a plant based condiment for you WP.

I'm going through a Frank's Red Hot sauce phase at the moment. Before that it was Cholula and Culley's No. 3. Don't know if I'm brave enough for a No. 8 :lol:

Re. the outsourcing of fish stuff, the local Chinese takeaway cooks snapper fillets for $1 - see quite a few folk taking in fresh fillets of a Sunday evening.

Filleting is easy, happy to give a filleting workshop...  :lol: 

Although I suspect @Intern would probably give my technique a bit of a skeef look.

(Start with a slice across fish behind head from skin to backbone, run knife along top of back to slice fillet off bones - angle the knife against the vertical back bones.  Half way down the fillet will be a row of horizontal bones, just cut through these using as much force as necessary and continue angling  knife against vertical bones.  Will hit ribs at some stage, run knife against these until knife hits skin on bottom of fish. Cut along bottom to free fillet.

Then if you fancy, flip fish and fillet over so the fillet is skin side down on board, then run knife between fillet and skin, angled towards the skin.  If you can get good grip (which is why leaving fillet attached at tail can help) you can slice the fillet off the skin in one sweep.

Cut skin off tail, turn over, repeat.

Done.

If we getting technical, one of the local guys I spoke to said that you can gut snapper by merely grasping the loose skin by their throat and just pull.  The skin will tear and the guts and all will come out.  I've not tried it, but seems the simplest and least messy way to do it.

The thing with snapper being that you have to leave it sufficiently whole for the Fisheries Officers to be able to measure it, so can't fillet it on board...

Was going to suggest it as a plant based condiment for you WP.

I'm going through a Frank's Red Hot sauce phase at the moment. Before that it was Cholula and Culley's No. 3. Don't know if I'm brave enough for a No. 8 :lol:

I am a total chillihead and have these on rotation at the moment..

https://culleys.co.nz/products/culleys-brutality

https://heatonist.com/products/hot-ones-the-last-dab?variant=378416136201

Ditto. In Aus Year 1 I got a whole (gutted) snapper that I wanted to stuff & bake. All I needed to do was de-scale. Its been so long since I descaled a fish that I didn't have an inkling, and both me and the kitchen ended up covered in loose scales.

Haven't been brave enough to try it again since.

At least it looks like the corporate budget was spent by the R&D team on the flavour and not by marketing on the label imagery.

How much Kiwis spend on travel, according to Tony Alexander (I suspect that part of this is that everywhere is cheap compared to NZ... but having not made it off the NI (Rangitoto is as far as I've got, not even Waiheke  :ph34r: ) since I arrived in Oct 2018 it's just conjecture for me):

"... spending $10bn previously allocated to overseas travel each year, we have seen a surge in residential property purchases develop in this unusual point in time."

$10b Kiwi.  Not peanuts.

I wonder what the net balance of inward vs outward tourism is?  Could be lockdown has been more injurious to external tourism than local...

Edited by davetapson