New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Anyway my thoughts on the topic:

Good:

• Great access to amazingly beautiful nature that's never overcrowded
  • Great options for leisure activities, for almost whatever you're into
  • Pretty laid back lifestyle, good work life balance
  • Very family friendly environment, great for kids, safe
  • Quite a low tax rate (top marginal tax rate is 33%)

Bad:

• Far from everything (maybe that's a good thing in some respects, far away from a lot of trouble)
  • Not the much cultural diversity (compared to say Europe, or even SA for that matter)
  • High cost of living, and some things extraordinarily expensive (e.g. childcare)
  • A bit dull for younger people looking for a bit of a vibe - some find it a little boring (though normally not people into surfing, mtb, hiking, sailing, fishing and the like)
  • Still is some crime and social problems in some areas in particular
  • I suppose being on a fault line it is prone to natural disasters like earthquakes.

Ugly:

• Housing market is batshit crazy, especially in Auckland. Right up there with the least affordable. Not as bad everywhere else, but getting there. Houses are flimsily built.

Overall I suppose I'm not deviating too far from the consensus.

It's a great spot, and the good far outweighs the bad in my book. Especially if you have a family. But I wouldn't say it's everyone's cup of tea.

You're in Mairangi Bay, not so? Then I'm not too far away, Hauraki / Takapuna.

yay someone in my neck of the woods

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The time difference is really a killer. You want to chat to your mates back in SA and on the Hub and its dead quiet.

Fully. I ran a business in SA for 5 years, time zone was horrible. Also, when you want to Skype friends etc in SA, the time zones mean everyone's on a completely different wavelength. Lank kek.

Fully. I ran a business in SA for 5 years, time zone was horrible. Also, when you want to Skype friends etc in SA, the time zones mean everyone's on a completely different wavelength. Lank kek.

:clap:  :clap: :clap:  

The time difference is really a killer. You want to chat to your mates back in SA and on the Hub and its dead quiet.

You guys should go for tips with Patches, he is always available when I am to catch up :)

To be honest, I actually told him the other day that I don't know where I am anymore because I was chatting to my sister-in-law in Canada all day when they were going through the fires evacuation time and also with him and then I had a 'friend' in the east too for a couple of days during the same time - my head didn't know when to add or when to subtract hours anymore :blink:  (good practice for when I am in NZ I guess)  :wacko:

Edit: deleted the double quote box

Edited by hayleyearth

I've just booked my coach-cruise-coach trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound for next month.

Got a good deal ($130 vs regular price of $230) on www.bookme.co.nz

Going to be awesome!

xcruise1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rayeXtPl-V.jpg

Jealous. I've wanted to go down that way for ages, closest I've got is Queenstown and now with our lighties being so small, travel isn't really worth it. One day, though, I shall tow our boat all the way down there and spend a few weeks exploring first the Marlborough sounds on the top end, then the Sounds at the bottom...

Hope the weather's OK for you when you go - winter showing some of the 'ugly' now!

Jealous. I've wanted to go down that way for ages, closest I've got is Queenstown and now with our lighties being so small, travel isn't really worth it. One day, though, I shall tow our boat all the way down there and spend a few weeks exploring first the Marlborough sounds on the top end, then the Sounds at the bottom...

Hope the weather's OK for you when you go - winter showing some of the 'ugly' now!

Yeah, myself and my 4 of work colleagues are going down to Queenstown for a weekend in June. Kinda like "team building". No bikes or winter activities happening, and 2 of the guys are off to play golf, so myself and 1 other figured we'd do a Milford Sound day trip, then do Queenstown fun the next day.

When summer comes around I'll be back down to Queenstown to ride, then may do Milford again.

The hiking there is ridiculous - Milford, Routeburn and Kepler track all pretty close together and all pretty easy logistically. Milford track walk is unreal - a must do.

yay someone in my neck of the woods

And me!

We are moving into a rental in Killarney street, Takapuna this weekend.

Unfortunately our furniture will only join us in a couple of months...

The ship with our container docks tomorrow. Quarantine inspection on Wednesday. Shitting myself because I don't think my wife cleaned the vacuum cleaner out and it is one of the things they have indicated they want to inspect. Happy that my bikes will be here though

The ship with our container docks tomorrow. Quarantine inspection on Wednesday. Shitting myself because I don't think my wife cleaned the vacuum cleaner out and it is one of the things they have indicated they want to inspect. Happy that my bikes will be here though

Sheesh that was quick. Who did you go with? 

How does it cost to ship the container Sa to Nz?

Container shipping market is apparently very subdued at the moment, low volumes and ships sailing with less than capacity, rates are the lowest they've been for years, though that may only be the main routes.

Sheesh that was quick. Who did you go with? 

It has been almost 8 weeks. I went with Brytons. Not sure if I would recommend them but have nothing to compare them to.

How does it cost to ship the container Sa to Nz?

Container shipping market is apparently very subdued at the moment, low volumes and ships sailing with less than capacity, rates are the lowest they've been for years, though that may only be the main routes.

It cost me about R90k including full comprehensive insurance so if they break a plate they pay.