Heavy Cyclists

Butterbean

i know that there may be a very small percentage of hubbers who can relate, but this is what I came to accept this weekend:

I started riding two years ago. I was always a heavy kid. Not fat, just larger build. I weighed 98kgs in matric and was proud of it - back then I played rugby and it was an advantage. I used to BMX too, at least, tried to. Always enjoyed riding bikes as a kid and teen but never exposed to organised riding and racing.

It was two years ago that with all the work stress I was experiencing, I decided to do something that would keep me fit and healthy - mentally and physically - so I bought a cheap road bike and got pedalling.

I seemed to be doing okay. It didn't take me long before I could hold my own with my friends who rode road bikes. I was always a little slower on the climbs, and had to basically burst a lung to not be the last one to the top - but I always thought I would lose more weight and keep getting faster.

Now, I've realised I won't be able to get there. At 6 feet, 38 waist, and 48 shoulders, seems I really cannot sustainably break the 95kg mark. I know I could if I was riding long distances every day and could eat a little better, but with my rep job, both are not too realistic. And I'm starting to be okay with that.

I'm dealing with the fact that I won't be able to ride in the A bunch without turning myself inside out, and still getting dropped on the first climb. I'm dealing with the fact that I won't ever look as sleek and streamlined as the skinny guys riding near me. It sucks a little, but I guess it's not my day job either.

You see, as a heavy cyclist we deal with things the lighter guys don't understand. You can have the best bike fit in the world - you'll still be the first guy to have a sore gooch, sore hands, and sore feet. You can't have the prettiest components - they just can't hold you up. Your kit will always not fit perfectly - you're always one size inbetween and it's not made for your shape.

But I still love riding. I still try my best to train hard, and keep up with the skinny dudes as long as possible. I still love waking up early on a Saturday morning and heading out to experience the road as all the challenge it has to offer. And I will destroy you when it gets flat. But spare a thought for the fat guy on the climbs. Some of us just aren't genetically suited as well as others in those beautiful sport.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And I will destroy you when it gets flat."

Yes. As I like to call it, the diesel engine. Kaaak on the climbs, but hit the flats and that engine starts turning, the turbo starts spooling and you hit the groove and go for hours, and hours, and hours. 

*when fit

I'm Myles, and I'm currently 105kg and battling to get down to 95 again. After that, 90 is the goal. Right now I'd be happy to break 100 for at least a month, given how disrupted my fitness regime has been lately (entirely self inflicted, admittedly)

I hate climbs, but I recognise that they're a means to an end and will make me fitter in the long run. Unfortunately, by the time I get to the top I am absolutely destroyed, which means the downs are far less fun than they ought to be. 

I'm fat, unfit and looking to lose the gut. Doing it slowly. I also have a diesel engine, just waiting to be unlocked. 

Jees Myles, I have been struggling for long now to break 100. Keep staying around 105 give or take a kg or two so now and again. Its extremely hard, but I just need to train more. Now to find the time!!

hey buffalo's, I love u guys! was once considering membership...

1.77 m 85Kg 3 years ago, 74Kg today. 

Well said.

Oh yes, downhills really rock for us. I love it when I can overtake people who pedaling at crazy rpm's, and I'm simply freewheeling in the drops.

I can also relate to this- 1.87 broad shoulders etc and currently at 92 kg all the way from 110 in April. My heaviest was 122 kg in July 2013. Goal weight is 85 which I plan to hit before CTCT.

As long as you love what you do and you are at piece with yourself it's fine.

It is quite a joy to hit a flat road and you go at a tempo and the lighties have to go all out to hang on. But come them hills, they have their revenge.

6'5" and 100kg's (down from 108 thanks to cycling). So feel your pain! Dragged a bunch of girls in 94.7, only for them to drop me like I'm hot going up Witkoppen!

Never had a bike that fits and in addition to an eina gooch, I also always have a sore back and shoulders thanks to my height.

But it still beats being in the office every time I clip in!

I feel your pain Drago.

I'm 1.85m & 90kg. Give or take a kilo either way. Ideal fitting weight would be the low 80's (IMO). I managed to get to 84 for S2C in 2014, only to ride sick for 3 days. Actually was soul destroying, as i lost all that weight for nought, even though i enjoyed the training.

I enjoy the pain on the climbs, as I will turn myself inside out to keep up with the featherweights, but it ain't easy.

Just been overseas for 2 weeks, and that never helps the diet. (I did enjoy seeing all the commuters in London, & the rights they enjoy)

Just this morning, I have committed to riding my bike every day, & everywhere in December, when on leave, for 3 weeks. Hope my car battery will die over the period....

Unfortunately, I also work long hours, so used to ride with a bunch of guys at night midweek, twice a week, but that has fallen away, due to work pressures on their side, so reckon I will have to commit to doing it on my own for now.

Having said that, its just about being on the bike & the simple pleasures.

I relate......

Also played the rugby game and wanted to be big in Matric......now I chuckle at myself for wanting to be light for riding my bike. Also got down from 110 to 95 and now I am hanging there.....

A skinny guy passed me on a climb some time ago and we chatted (He spoke, I huffed) about weight and climbing and he said: "Ja, at school I suffered in the loose scrums now it is your turn!"

It is what it is, I am just grateful I can also get out and ride....big or small we all get the job done.

:thumbup:

Good post.

I'm also quite big for cycling but in my peak years did manage to get my bodyweight low enough (80 - 85kgs) to be able to hang with the licensed group on climbs. It was great still having the power to hurt skinny guys on flats and short sharp climbs.

Don't agree: Hope components are pretty and strong. :P

You can't have the prettiest components - they just can't hold you up. 

I also have a diesel engine, just waiting to be unlocked. 

Nothing wrong with my diesel engine, it is just the Abnormal Load chassis it has to drag around.

I have tried to de-couple the trailer, but I seem stuck in the mid 90s. Aiming for mid 80s by March.

1.77 m 85Kg 3 years ago, 74Kg todays. 

You Sir, are looking for serious trouble and you are about to find it. Meet me behind the bike shed at second break and we can sort it out ! :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Archived