Heavy Cyclists

Butterbean

Another large unit here.

I am 1.81m sitting at 98kg at the moment. I don't think I stand a chance of staying under 100kg over December. I was 114.5kg last July and managed to get down to 94.5kg for Joberg2C earlier this year, but then the mileage went down and the weight went up again...

My bikes are OK, but I do have trouble with my wheels. They have a hard time and don't last too long.

This website used to make me feel a bit better: http://www.superclydesdale.com/

But it hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Classic:

http://www.superclydesdale.com/?page_id=414

CCTS: Clydesdale Climbing Tourette Syndrome.   A short-term affliction characterized by the shouting of insults and/or profanity at smaller riders who pass you on difficult climbs.   Usually short-lived except in severe cases, manifested in the most bitter of heavy riders who may have a hard time stopping even after the climb is over.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I'm going to love shredding this thread, and most of you are going to swear at me, but hear me out and I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say....

YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF GIRLS!!

I am over 2 meters (6,6) and race weight is around 95kg, I wear size 14 shoes and ride Alu 63cm Merckx's. I have won the Induvidual TT in just about every age group cat in Prov and National level. I have won, yes won SA hill climb champs in Grasskop for 4 years running. I have won the Magoebaskloof race 4 or 5 times, and many of the big races in SA and have been doing this awesome sport for close to 30 years. Being big and relatively heavy has its drawbacks but believe me, if your train correctly, use your power and be smart, you will crush any feather weight at everything! As a tall person, or heavy rider, your power will be much higher than a 70 kg guy, so use it, the only reason the climber drop you is because they can accelerate quickly, counter that.... don't allow the climbers a easy ride up to the climb, get to the front and ride hard towards the climb, and these things will be mud flapping off the back, and on the climb their legs will be blown. Big guys have Big power.... I can promise you, all you lot that are close to 100kg can easily push 400 Watts and due to weight and momentum can hold that a long time..... no climber can do that! Prioritise flattish races that will most likely end in a bunch sprint, but don't allow that, try get away with a small group towards the finish, a good few km out and get to the front and unleash that 400 Watts, every time you go through, go really hard, force the rest to struggle to stay on your wheel and not recover! Trust me, it works!! And train long intervals of 5km or more, not short bursts....

Remember a certain Big Mig Indurain, 5 tours in a row, he won those Tours in the TT and stayed with the climbers in the mountains,very similar to this years Tour of Spain.... Big guys can, and Do win!!

The man has you pinned:

http://www.superclydesdale.com/?page_id=414

Mountain Gorilla:  A member of the Clydesdale classes that excels at hill climbing.  Like actual mountain gorillas of central Africa, these are extremely rare, very strong, and may also be covered in dense hair.

and here I thought this was a thread for us normal buffalo sized guys - not those that are big and win hill climb competitions.

I mean how many big guys win hill climbing competitions. Oh wait - that would be 1. Only 1.

Did I just eat some bait ?

Who is this Super J oke? Looks like he makes k@k everywhere he goes.... :ph34r:

Close the thread admin.... nothing to see here...

Plus the line plus the sinker

no calories there ... so safe calorie eating :)

ok maybe lead sinkers might not help.

Jip, he just blew all my excuses out out of the water. Kudos to him for all his accomplishments.

However​ in my book he is not heavy for his height. More like a skinny tall oke. (not negative, skinny is good for cycling) BMI does not agree with me, and classifies him as normal, but that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I once dropped to 92 from my current 112kg after a back op and all my mates jokingly asked if I had aids. It did not look right with my 1.93 height and bone structure.

My riding partner is over 2m tall and pushing 110kg the thing is he looks like Eben Etzebeth, he gyms 6-7 times a week and cycles once every now and then.

In events when we ride together he races to the top of a hill and come down again, he usually climbs it 3 times with me. Great buddy though!

My name's Paul and I'm a Buffalo. 1,8m, with a 38 to 40 waist currently sitting on 109kgs.

Oh and BTW I started cycling to lose weight because I was racing karts but was getting beaten but worse drivers who were lighter than me.

Just enjoy the downhills and the flats

I started cycling for the exact same reason. Raced Formula 100 back in the day. At 187cm didn't quite fit in the kart, could never have that perfect seat position for weight distribution and had to maintain 80kg to come in at the 150kg limit. When I was on the weight limit I was in the mix at a National Level and even managed a 2nd overall for the Nationals in 1988/1999. Then the complete 24/7 life to keep the weight down was too much and I was 90kg just like that. That's when I bought my first Mountainbike. Even at racing weight being tall doesn't work in Motorsport. Don't fit in a Formula Ford. The only racing I did where my height was an advantage was Enduro racing when in the rocks.

Eish. I was riding next to some 100 odd kgs of good old South African beef the other day and thought..... It just looks all wrong hey. After about 60 of 100 kms in the hills he said.... "I'm not having fun anymore...."

Now I understand. I feel all you okes.

I started cycling for the exact same reason. Raced Formula 100 back in the day. At 187cm didn't quite fit in the kart, could never have that perfect seat position for weight distribution and had to maintain 80kg to come in at the 150kg limit. When I was on the weight limit I was in the mix at a National Level and even managed a 2nd overall for the Nationals in 1988/1999. Then the complete 24/7 life to keep the weight down was too much and I was 90kg just like that. That's when I bought my first Mountainbike. Even at racing weight being tall doesn't work in Motorsport. Don't fit in a Formula Ford. The only racing I did where my height was an advantage was Enduro racing when in the rocks.

Hmm was also in Formula 100 in about 1995 and 96 - 98 somewhere around there. I used to run a PCR to try and get the weight to a reasonable level. I lightened the kart so badly that it weighed about 60kgs and the guys at the weigh-bridge used to almost fall over when they lifted it up cause it was so light. I had ally everywhere.  Nothing like 40 karts steaming in to the first RH bend at Swartkops at the start, or dare i mention the Nose or the Shoebox?  Those corners took courage.

Eish. I was riding next to some 100 odd kgs of good old South African beef the other day and thought..... It just looks all wrong hey. After about 60 of 100 kms in the hills he said.... "I'm not having fun anymore...."

Now I understand. I feel all you okes.

Thanks. Not always about fun though. Some of us do it for medical reasons or to lose weight. Once we start having fun it means we reached our first goal. In the meantime we promise to keep well left so you guys can do what you do best. Maybe someday we will be able to keep up with you. In the meantime please accommodate us by sharing knowledge. On a positive note. We are good beer drinkers though. Maybe we can find some common  ground there after the race.

Man, I'm going to love shredding this thread, and most of you are going to swear at me, but hear me out and I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say....

YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF GIRLS!!

I am over 2 meters (6,6) and race weight is around 95kg, I wear size 14 shoes and ride Alu 63cm Merckx's. I have won the Induvidual TT in just about every age group cat in Prov and National level. I have won, yes won SA hill climb champs in Grasskop for 4 years running. I have won the Magoebaskloof race 4 or 5 times, and many of the big races in SA and have been doing this awesome sport for close to 30 years. Being big and relatively heavy has its drawbacks but believe me, if your train correctly, use your power and be smart, you will crush any feather weight at everything! As a tall person, or heavy rider, your power will be much higher than a 70 kg guy, so use it, the only reason the climber drop you is because they can accelerate quickly, counter that.... don't allow the climbers a easy ride up to the climb, get to the front and ride hard towards the climb, and these things will be mud flapping off the back, and on the climb their legs will be blown. Big guys have Big power.... I can promise you, all you lot that are close to 100kg can easily push 400 Watts and due to weight and momentum can hold that a long time..... no climber can do that! Prioritise flattish races that will most likely end in a bunch sprint, but don't allow that, try get away with a small group towards the finish, a good few km out and get to the front and unleash that 400 Watts, every time you go through, go really hard, force the rest to struggle to stay on your wheel and not recover! Trust me, it works!! And train long intervals of 5km or more, not short bursts....

Remember a certain Big Mig Indurain, 5 tours in a row, he won those Tours in the TT and stayed with the climbers in the mountains,very similar to this years Tour of Spain.... Big guys can, and Do win!!

BIG Mig weighed in at 80 kg, a long way from the numbers being discussed here.

As for skinny blokes not having power, Froome and co would like a word. You don't win Olympic TT medals with no power!

At 1.81 m and 128 kg I always considered myself "big boned" and "strongly built" but now at 81 kg I can see that I still have a lot of fat to lose.

My power to weight has gone up, my power has gone up and I am much faster up and down. My bike handles better, stops more easily and corners more responsively.

Anyone who thinks thin guys can't descend hasn't watch Nibali ride.

There is no downside to losing weight for cycling except if you do it in an unhealthy manner and get sick.

Wait a moment... I will be racing you guys at next years 94.7 or Magoebaskloof... ignore everything I just said and eat. Eat lots. Big guys CAN be fast.

"And I will destroy you when it gets flat."

Yes. As I like to call it, the diesel engine. Kaaak on the climbs, but hit the flats and that engine starts turning, the turbo starts spooling and you hit the groove and go for hours, and hours, and hours.

*when fit

I'm Myles, and I'm currently 105kg and battling to get down to 95 again. After that, 90 is the goal. Right now I'd be happy to break 100 for at least a month, given how disrupted my fitness regime has been lately (entirely self inflicted, admittedly)

I hate climbs, but I recognise that they're a means to an end and will make me fitter in the long run. Unfortunately, by the time I get to the top I am absolutely destroyed, which means the downs are far less fun than they ought to be.

I'm fat, unfit and looking to lose the gut. Doing it slowly. I also have a diesel engine, just waiting to be unlocked.

Hi Miles........I'm BarHugger.......for a reason.

You should do this on a bmi scale... bmi of over 30 to start......

Count me out... :)

Vagacious

33.333333333333333kg/m2

Archived