Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Ha ha ha. And to think my first one I did with a halogen light that put out 80 lumens, and needed 5 C batteries with a runtime of 3 hours.

You shouldn't need anything other than the magic light. I wouldn't even bother with the helmet light.

Great! As it stands, lights are probably going to be the least of my problems ????

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let us know if you need anything "gear wise" for the Race... PM or email your TB2016 gear needs so we can try and help all the TB2016 friends, only high end apparel like Assos Giordana ect ect... Good luck with the training, im behind like Crazy, looking forward to it, praying for no rain and double figure weather :P

admin@cyclesharp.co.za

www.cyclesharp.co.za

Guys someone told me there is a climb towards the end of the route, which is so crap that ideally you want to descend it while it is still daylight, what is the name & at what kilometer point will we encounter it? Thanks.

Guys someone told me there is a climb towards the end of the route, which is so crap that ideally you want to descend it while it is still daylight, what is the name & at what kilometer point will we encounter it? Thanks.

MAC. 140kms.

Bergplaas is the name, if memory serves me right

The descent they are talking about will be the Big Dipper which is after the climb of MAC , after checkpoint 4 at Bergplaas in other words. The descent starts at about 150km. We are middle to the back-of-the-pack finishers and have never went down it in the light...It is not THAT bad if you take it easy and stay to the mountainside. There are some ditches and concrete run-offs which can catch you off-guard.

Yes it's bergplaas but ideally you want to descend it in the light,just one thing it's very far from the end of the race.

It is about 80 k from the end and you must still climb the Neverender,it's not so steep just a long grind.

The descent they are talking about will be the Big Dipper which is after the climb of MAC , after checkpoint 4 at Bergplaas in other words. The descent starts at about 150km. We are middle to the back-of-the-pack finishers and have never went down it in the light...It is not THAT bad if you take it easy and stay to the mountainside. There are some ditches and concrete run-offs which can catch you off-guard.

We descended it in the night and as long as you do not try and be a cowboy you should be fine. There is one hairpin bend if memory serves that you can overshoot if you are not focussing, so maybe it is a good idea to do it in the dark as the light might might fill you with dredd of, "what if I went over" :) MAC is a steep not so nice climb, but the Neverender is the one where your head starts messing things up... it's not steep just a long ass grind and by that point you might have a sense of humour failure

Thanks guys, so our target will be to reach 140kms-150kms in day light.

Well i just checked now & partner already had it planned out, 13 hour target time with an average of 17.2kmh, we will hit Bergplaas by 17:30, surely it is still daylight round about that time?

p.s. this was our conservative approach after i did nothing for the past 3 months & partner had injury woes but one thing for certain is we will not sell our entry as what is currently happening in the classifieds. would rather go in with no training & *** off for the full 24 hours than to sell my entry & give up without trying.

There is the MAC just before the 140 km mark but closer to the finish there is the mini MAC.  Its about 700m long but with lots of  gravel and rocks.  Will be difficult in the dark. we are planning to do this part on Wednesday 3/8.  Will give an update on the condition of the road.

Well i just checked now & partner already had it planned out, 13 hour target time with an average of 17.2kmh, we will hit Bergplaas by 17:30, surely it is still daylight round about that time?

p.s. this was our conservative approach after i did nothing for the past 3 months & partner had injury woes but one thing for certain is we will not sell our entry as what is currently happening in the classifieds. would rather go in with no training & *** off for the full 24 hours than to sell my entry & give up without trying.

If you leave Bergplaas after 17:30 it will start getting dark. 

Got an entry for the 13th available- four man team that I don't want to waste.

Talk to me

The descent after Bergplaas is best done in the dark. In the bright light of day the drop-off next to the road is so scary you will walk down.....

I enjoyed doing it in the dark last year, it's not that bad

Nee Boys, we have accommodation booked for the Saturday evening which i would like to make use of  :whistling:

Archived