Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

I have just gone 1x11 34 front do i need to go down to a 32 front? this is my first time.

This will be my first TB, so I don't know what the climbs will be like.

I am hoping my 1x11 (32f & 42r) will be OK. That new XT 11-46 would have made me feel better, but its not available yet.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the second race, my partner is not quite there yet and asked if we can do another long ride this coming Saturday(150-170) After these long ride his recovery is quite long. Is this the right thing to do now? Any advice please, I need to get this guy over the finish line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would do a 4hr ride at a comfortable pace with a few intervals in between. Save yourself for the long ride on race day.

When I read things like this, I feel more under trained than ever.

And that equates to a certain amount of fear, if not terror...

That's how I feel too. We did 75kms on Wednesday in some serious wind. It completely shattered my confidence.

In the second race, my partner is not quite there yet and asked if we can do another long ride this coming Saturday(150-170) After these long ride his recovery is quite long. Is this the right thing to do now? Any advice please, I need to get this guy over the finish line.

I'd think that a few 3-5 hour rides will be more beneficial at this stage than one 8-10 hour ride with a lengthy recovery.

This will be my first TB, so I don't know what the climbs will be like.

I am hoping my 1x11 (32f & 42r) will be OK. That new XT 11-46 would have made me feel better, but its not available yet.

I think you'll be fine on those ratios. I'm running 2x10 with 30t on the small ring up front and I've just fitted a 42t expander sprocket on the back. I managed the hills in Suikerbosrand fairly comfortably the other day with those gears. The gradients there are similar to those in TB

I think you'll be fine on those ratios. I'm running 2x10 with 30t on the small ring up front and I've just fitted a 42t expander sprocket on the back. I managed the hills in Suikerbosrand fairly comfortably the other day with those gears. The gradients there are similar to those in TB

hi Nancy, are the gradients similar but just longer?

if so im chuffed my final training ride was 2 loops of suikerbos in that shocking wind

I would rather do a 100km ride with about 2000m of climbing.  Even  if it is slow it will be a good test. We have only done 1 x 150km ride. Good luck

hi Nancy, are the gradients similar but just longer?

if so im chuffed my final training ride was 2 loops of suikerbos in that shocking wind

I'd say the gradients are similar, just longer. Obviously trickier too because they're not smooth tarred surfaces.

The fangs might be the exception. Steeper than anything in SBR, but they're fairly short, so they're over quickly (I don't even bother to ride them  :whistling: )

2 loops in that wind?!! I'd say you're more than ready for Baviaans  :thumbup:

I'm not quite sure there is ever a case for spending that much time on a bike, outside of a race. And particularly at this stage of preparation you should just be fine tuning everything, not trying to smash it to bits.

A 3 to 4 hour ride at tempo pace, and a 4 to 5 hour ride at LSD pace should be more than enough this weekend. And next week - some shorter intervals. Same intensity, but less quantity. Don't get into a panic and overdo it - you're just going to make things worse. Rather go into the race knowing you're a little short of kms, and ride accordingly. After all - we do this for fun - why make life difficult ;)

I'd say the gradients are similar, just longer. Obviously trickier too because they're not smooth tarred surfaces.

The fangs might be the exception. Steeper than anything in SBR, but they're fairly short, so they're over quickly (I don't even bother to ride them  :whistling: )

hahahaha well then i can stop stressing and start recovering then..... smaller rides this weekend then :)

i have been living between breedts and suikerbos for the past 6 weeks..... and throw wattbike in during the week.

unfamiliar race so dont know what to expect. 

but now i have ease :)

No idea about the SBR climbs, but the thing to remember about Baviaans is that, even though the first 100kms are "downhill", you still have 100kms in your legs before you start climbing. Fangs are a rude awakening, and I find the run into MAC worse than MAC. Once you're on MAC is just a matter of pacing yourself, plodding along, and enjoying the view (and if you're me, planning a strategic vomit somewhere).

The part of MAC that does get to me is the bit from the "top" to the checkpoint. I've died a thousand deaths along that short stretch!

And then the tough climbing is done. Neverender is a drag, albeit a drag with 180kms in the legs.

splat I see you are in Cape Town, if you want to test your gearing on climbs, look at this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15548125

Paarlberg offers a 13km long climb with gradients in the region of what you will find on the MAC, the ride to Paarl will also put some kms on the legs to reflect a more realistic picture.

splat I see you are in Cape Town, if you want to test your gearing on climbs, look at this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15548125

Paarlberg offers a 13km long climb with gradients in the region of what you will find on the MAC, the ride to Paarl will also put some kms on the legs to reflect a more realistic picture.

That looks like a proper ride!

Not enough time to try that out as we are going away this weekend.

I have done a few BlockHouse, Signal Hill, Llandudno, Chappies, Wa Pad & Noordhoek Peak rides. They have similar stats to your ride, but split up over several climbs.

I would rather do a 100km ride with about 2000m of climbing. Even if it is slow it will be a good test. We have only done 1 x 150km ride. Good luck

The 2000 would have been nice, we stay here in the Northern Cape if you're lucky you could reach let's say maybe a 1000m on a 150km route out here. We relay on the wind....[emoji6] out here.