Sometimes people still surprise me

Abercrombie

Don't even know the full story but saw on FB that a guy I did DC with went off and donated his Cannondale to a attendant at garage here in PE. Well done Richard Driscoll, really decent of youpost-16211-0-42616200-1448970571_thumb.jpg

Way-hey how cool! Good job Richard!!

What's the back story here? Was it a random gift or is the attendant an aspiring cyclist?

That's great of Richard :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hope he gives the guy a letter incase a hubber gets suspicious and pulls him over :whistling:  :whistling:

Way-hey how cool! Good job Richard!!

What's the back story here? Was it a random gift or is the attendant an aspiring cyclist?

I asked him now. He said he's been trying to sell it and stopped for petrol when he got into a conversation with the petrol attendant. The subject came up of how he spends up to R850 in taxi fares just to get to work, so Richard said it just makes sense to give it to the guy.

I rode with him whilst training for DC here in PE and while we all have our share of bad luck in the world, without going into detail I must tell you I was mortified as to what Richard has gone through with personal tragedies. However he is such a quite unassuming decent individual that looking at what he has done tends to restore one's faith in people. He on the other hand can't see what the fuss is about.

He actually only posted the pic because he wanted to know if someone had a spare helmet. Turns out a guy from DC Cape town contingent is sending his.

Well done Sean from BikeMob

It's not exactly a Specialized.... :ph34r:

Calm down folks, only taking the p!ss... I applaud Richard.

I'll confess that I am a half empty kind of guy. Life has made me so, as I wasn't always like this.

A recent example: My gardener approached me with a very tired looking bike he had recently purchased. He wouldn't tell me how much he had spent, but he asked me to have a look at the drive train... Since i am a tinkerer, i thought i would give it a go...

So happens that the chain had done seventy three thousand, fifty three & four hundred kilometers. The more i touched the damn thing, the longer the list of spares became. I took it to the Sheriff and we settled on an entire drive train, incl crank & shifters. Lesson learnt.

2 weeks later, i glimpse over at the bike on my way to work, and its back to its original state, if not worse. When i asked ol' James what happened, he merely mentioned that "it didn't suit me"....

Guess who isn't getting a xmas bonus, simply because "it doesn't suit me"....

Hope the attendant cherishes the bike Richard has given him, otherwise the little water i hold, might evaporate.

If I rode a DC I would also give my bike away.

Almost tossed it away 60km into the Magalies Monster and called Uber.

So happy to have done DC with this chap as well.

Gees, good laughs and some serious grit. 

I think he must actually hail from closer to Uitenhage on the coast, being such a genuine salt of the earth fellow! 

Archived