Kefir

Cois

4 Years, wow. Did you have to change the kefir grains at some point or did they simply multiply and kept you for this long?

If I may ask (surely you use a plastic sieve) do you use a very fine mesh (I received such a one in the starter kit) or a more course type plastic sieve.

I find the fine one takes forever to drain, even with the help of stirring with a plastic spoon and information that I have gathered thus far is that the milk kefir is supposed to be like a liquid yogurt, where as mine is more milky again given the fine mesh.

Use the fine one till you see larger grains, then switch over to a larger plastic one. Remember stainless steel kills kefir

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My local trailpark sells Kefir gingerbeer. Absolutely love the stuff. Expensive, I think R24 for 500ml, but so worth it. Had a super tough trail run there on the weekend. Didn't look after my electrolytes and dehydrated about 6km from the end. The gingerbeer is all I could think of. By that night I had downed over 3 liters of the stuff. With the dehydration also came severe nausea and vomiting. I rate the kefir cultures along with the ginger (widely believed to help with nausea) goes a LONG way to settle the stomach again.

My kefir has grown way too much and Ive got too much of the stuff now, anyone wants some to start off with or whatever?

My kefir has grown way too much and Ive got too much of the stuff now, anyone wants some to start off with or whatever?

I would love some to start but unfortunately I'm in Jozi  :(

• 1 month later...

i am also keen , but close to PE......... :thumbdown:

do you guys and girls use UHT milk or raw milk?

oh and where can one buy milk grains in JHB?

I tried raw milk, kefir loves it.

Tried Woolworths, it works well.

Tried Clover... killed my kefir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...

My wife got me some water Kefir today. The culture.

I can no longer consume dairy products so will have to try some water kefir. And seeing that I need to take a probiotic every day I think that kefir might be a better option than the undercover USN products hiding all kinds of crap like sugar and junk in their products...that can also kill me.

One: nobody should be having USN products. End.

And ja, water kefir is very palatable.

I use woolies fruit juice with my F2 it tastes super good and has a nice fizz.

One: nobody should be having USN products. End.

And ja, water kefir is very palatable.

ah that is great news.

I was a little worried about the taste as I am a little over-sensitive to strong tastes at this moment. And I know some of my meds will not work with the taste of Milk Kefir.

And I agree. I am still attempting to get my wife to get rid of the USN diet fuel as I do not trust any fitness products at all.

ah that is great news.

I was a little worried about the taste as I am a little over-sensitive to strong tastes at this moment. And I know some of my meds will not work with the taste of Milk Kefir.

And I agree. I am still attempting to get my wife to get rid of the USN diet fuel as I do not trust any fitness products at all.

If you use a good brown sugar it has a nice caramel kind of flavor after fermenting.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a bit of a struggle with my water kefir.

Can’t seem to get the grains going. Made the first batch to get the grains activated, and started the 2nd batch, but the water still has a sweetness to it.

I am going to try and 2nd ferment some fruit in the 2nd batch and try a 3rd batch and see if the sweetness gets less this time.