Kefir

Cois

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anybody interested to try Kefir products, take a look on FaceBook for Kief Kulture. They are based in Weltevreden Park and make some lekker products at decent prices. Quite a few cyclists purchase their whey protein and recovery drinks.

Made the mistake of purchasing two liters of goat kefir.  Was so close to vomiting it out every time.  I hate anything goat related.

Also made the mistake of buying goat's milk for making kefir the first time (as goat's milk was not available in most shops... went to goat farm  :oops:  somewhere in Randfontein/Witfontein...R17.50/lt). Could not get use to the taste. Switched to cows milk ...the best!  :clap:

Also made the mistake of buying goat's milk for making kefir the first time (as goat's milk was not available in most shops... went to goat farm :oops: somewhere in Randfontein/Witfontein...R17.50/lt). Could not get use to the taste. Switched to cows milk ...the best! :clap:

Nothing wrong with goat's milk. Those people in Randfontein might have milked the rams and not the ewes.. [emoji1782]

I found this recently, it actually tastes quite nice (much better than I ever got the homemade attempts).

post-52768-0-86998600-1543397046_thumb.jpg

Probably not quite as good for you, I'm sure there would be some preservatives etc in.

I found this recently, it actually tastes quite nice (much better than I ever got the homemade attempts).

attachicon.gifIMG_20181106_224433.jpg

Probably not quite as good for you, I'm sure there would be some preservatives etc in.

...Thats just yoghurt dude...and see all the crap they put in there (apologies), and its sweetened.My first attempt was with raw goats milk...

I bought some Kefir and added it to milk with the hope that grains will form. If not I’ll have to wait till Dec and get some in JHB. Will go tonthat shop in Weltevreden, do they sell grains?

...Thats just yoghurt dude...and see all the crap they put in there (apologies), and its sweetened.My first attempt was with raw goats milk...

Well, they do list "kefir culture" as one of the ingredients, though it is most likely the powdered type rather than made with the proper grains.

I agree on all the other additives though. I tried making my own milk kefir, but the flavour simply doesn't work for me.

Well, they do list "kefir culture" as one of the ingredients, though it is most likely the powdered type rather than made with the proper grains.

I agree on all the other additives though. I tried making my own milk kefir, but the flavour simply doesn't work for me.

I just want to add it to my breakfast smoothies. Is it that off putting?

I just want to add it to my breakfast smoothies. Is it that off putting?

I think it is a personal thing - my dad would have absolutely no problems with drinking it unflavoured. I tried various things, including cacao, and drinking it was an effort for me.

Its not that it is a horrible, way out taste, but just too strong for me. Like how some people love blue cheese, and others can't stand it.

I bought some Kefir and added it to milk with the hope that grains will form. If not I’ll have to wait till Dec and get some in JHB. Will go tonthat shop in Weltevreden, do they sell grains?

My wife got a starter kit from Dischem.  Was powdered kefir grains.  Added it to milk and the 2nd batch the kefir started exploding.  So if anyone in Pretoria needs grains, let me know.  I will have enough for about two people at the current rate (2 weeks of growth)

attachicon.gifIMG_20181106_224433.jpg

Like the ingredient list. just the sweetener breaks the whole deal :)

Where in Jhb area could you buy the stuff to start with?

I live in Modderfontein and have extra milk kefir grains if you are willing to collect. No charge.

My wife got a starter kit from Dischem. Was powdered kefir grains. Added it to milk and the 2nd batch the kefir started exploding. So if anyone in Pretoria needs grains, let me know. I will have enough for about two people at the current rate (2 weeks of growth)

I saw a place here that sells the powder, I’m hesitant to buy it as I don’t know if it is the OG. Has she been able to re-use the grains that formed? I read somewhere that the powderd stuffs grains are not as good as the grains themselves.