Argus (aka CTCT) 2016 Medical Questionnaire

walkerr

despite the previous post, some things are still not lining up here. in fact, i would love to see/hear from the event organisers exactly how this information has helped them in the past, especially wrt how they saved a participant from themselves despite the indemnity in place.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust would like to assure all Cycle Tour entrants that the information given as part of the Medical Questionnaire is handled in the strictest of confidence, and kept on a secure server. This information is gathered to ensure that we as the event organisers, together with our partners Mediclinic, who assist in managing our medical roll out plan on Race Day, are better informed and therefor able to offer improved medical support to participants on Race Day.

Please rest assured that the information is gathered purely for use by ourselves and our medical partners for this event. The question relating to the data being used for research becomes the choice of the participant who may opt in, or out, of allowing their information to be used for research purposes.

The Medical Waiver completed as part of the Cycle Tour entry process contained no medical questions, but stated that the entrant will be required to complete a Medical Questionnaire. Entrants agreed to these terms when they entered the event, and we appreciate your kind cooperation in this matter.

If you have any queries – please contact the Race Office on Tel: 087 820 7223.

https://www.facebook.com/cycletour/posts/965137156893146?fref=nf&pnref=story

The sentence I highlighted above can be read in 2 different ways. Is the information only used for this event or is it used by the event's medical partners (...for whatever purpose they want)? I haven't done the survey/questionnaire/research project myself, but I would love to see how they justify certain individual questions (that I've read about in this forum) in the context of this statement - if more than 50% of participants cramp then are they going to give out anti cramp pills on the start line?

My opinion is that the goal is noble, but the setup of the survey is of very poor quality.

As someone that's interested in science I have three major problems (possible errors) with how the survey was set up:

(1) Answers are self diagnostic and subjective and therefore mostly not usable, because there's no objective measurement.

(2) False answers might be given especially for people not wanting to expose possible risks and also for "fun".

(3) There is no time period defined, only a snapshot, and circumstances can change.

I can't believe that an amateur survey like this can be used for professional purposes, nevermind doing statistical analysis.

Like I said, I think a good objective, but really a lot more work is needed on the actual survey.

By the way, enjoy those December cycling miles!! The CTCT always comes along faster that you think.

Question I found funny, height and weight, I'm 1.92m tall and weigh 117ish, BMI says I'm obese, even though I'm far from it, will I be barred from taking part? My quickest Argus 3h32m.

I completed it and as per V 12 did not assent for my information to be shared.

I hate these web surveys as I get sent so many.

Basically did it as its the shortest path to an outcome.

Answers were the ones that would indicate no risk because my medical history would spew a 100 page questionnaire and possibly a request to see a Doctor. 

So answered effectively fraudulently.

However in the full knowledge that all my issues are well managed and of no concern to CTCT.

I completed it and as per V 12 did not assent for my information to be shared.

I hate these web surveys as I get sent so many.

Basically did it as its the shortest path to an outcome.

Answers were the ones that would indicate no risk because my medical history would spew a 100 page questionnaire and possibly a request to see a Doctor. 

So answered effectively fraudulently.

However in the full knowledge that all my issues are well managed and of no concern to CTCT.

I mentioned it before that I deleted my email when I read it was a medical Spam. But if they send it to me again, my intention is to do it as accurately as you mentioned.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust would like to assure all Cycle Tour entrants that the information given as part of the Medical Questionnaire is handled in the strictest of confidence, and kept on a secure server. This information is gathered to ensure that we as the event organisers, together with our partners Mediclinic, who assist in managing our medical roll out plan on Race Day, are better informed and therefor able to offer improved medical support to participants on Race Day.

Please rest assured that the information is gathered purely for use by ourselves and our medical partners for this event. The question relating to the data being used for research becomes the choice of the participant who may opt in, or out, of allowing their information to be used for research purposes.

The Medical Waiver completed as part of the Cycle Tour entry process contained no medical questions, but stated that the entrant will be required to complete a Medical Questionnaire. Entrants agreed to these terms when they entered the event, and we appreciate your kind cooperation in this matter.

If you have any queries – please contact the Race Office on Tel: 087 820 7223.

https://www.facebook.com/cycletour/posts/965137156893146?fref=nf&pnref=story

So someone WAS planning to use it for research. Maybe a sport scientist that recently moved from UCT to UP? I assure everyone that data acquired like this is of very limited research value. Event planning surely cannot change much from previous years. What recourse do I have if this information "leaks"? What recourse does PPA have if I lie on the form? Unbelievable candyfloss science. Feels a bit like e-Toll.

despite the previous post, some things are still not lining up here. in fact, i would love to see/hear from the event organisers exactly how this information has helped them in the past, especially wrt how they saved a participant from themselves despite the indemnity in place.

they've never requestedthis before afaik. So it's all a bit of a learning curve for everyone, but mostly CTCTT learning (again) how their customers feel about them.

Question I found funny, height and weight, I'm 1.92m tall and weigh 117ish, BMI says I'm obese, even though I'm far from it, will I be barred from taking part? My quickest Argus 3h32m.

BMI is a joke - I am also Obese yet still one of 3 people have done 4 sub 2h30 ACT / Cape town cycle tour (in the history of the event)!

I loved the questioned on % of cycling on road versa MTB and indoor - my % did not add up as I do quite a bit of track cycling (at world championship level)! So NO my answered did not add up to 100%. No option for other forms of cycling!!!

Seems like they need some "proper cyclist" in the organization including PPA!

BMI is a joke - I am also Obese yet still one of 3 people have done 4 sub 2h30 ACT / Cape town cycle tour (in the history of the event)!

I loved the questioned on % of cycling on road versa MTB and indoor - my % did not add up as I do quite a bit of track cycling (at world championship level)! So NO my answered did not add up to 100%. No option for other forms of cycling!!!

Brilliant!

You are now going to be my new explanation on why BMI is a joke whenever someone quotes it at me ... ;)

The web site just times out when I try to access it this morning.

Same here. And I only got the email to complete it this morning. lol

wait ...am I missing something ? what does % of mtb road indoor, outdoor, on the ceiling, where ever, have to do with medical concerns ?

The web site just times out when I try to access it this morning.

also having issues with it so I am not going to worry to complete this...

Just sat down to fill in this stupid medical questionare, press on the link in the email and nothing. So what would these idiots at the CTCT like me to do now? Must I phone them to see if I can actually ride the race, seeing as I can't download their form and therefore can't fill it in.

If I had not already paid for my and my wife's flights, accommodation  and car hire, they could have my entry fee and stuff them and their race.

Archived