Review: Scott Genius Plus 720

Iwan Kemp

I think if you were to buy one of these the logical thing to do would be to run 2 wheelsets. 

The 275+ and a 29er wheelset. It's my understanding the clearances allow for this. 275+ for those days when you want the extra "suspension" of the tires and 29er when you want to cover distance.

You can. Front tri is their Genius 29er bolted to a new Plus friendly rear tri. Makes for a very versatile bike, I'd say.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you were to buy one of these the logical thing to do would be to run 2 wheelsets. 

The 275+ and a 29er wheelset. It's my understanding the clearances allow for this. 275+ for those days when you want the extra "suspension" of the tires and 29er when you want to cover distance.

Why would I want a 29er to cover distance? Is this a 29er sales pitch?

Why would I want a 29er to cover distance? Is this a 29er sales pitch?

have you tried keeping up with a 29er at the same cadence and gearing, even on a road bike?? good luck!

If you're currently riding a 29er with 2.3" to 2.5" tyres, you really can't hate on 27.5+ bikes, as they are very similar, with the plus bikes being able to trump 29ers in sheer traction and braking ability. 

Edit:  Hmm. Reading my post now, it does seem to be as if I'm pushing a wheel size agenda. So, to clear up any confusion - if you enjoy the ride quality of a 29er and you're a #29erForLife type of rider, don't dismiss the 27.5+ bikes, as they have many similarities to 29ers.

Edited by Odinson

Trump shmump... 

People arguing whose opinion is right? So zeitgeist right now....

This bike is FUN! It is made to be fun. It was not built to win Attakwas or Leadville so buying it just to change it to do a job it wasn't designed for seems a bit wayward and off topic.

It is hilarious how everybody returns to the eternal 'wheel size debate' without realising it as soon as something related pops up. 

Nice review Iwan. I think the new trails at Jonkers would suit this little monster perfectly with the grip and float of the tires on what has fast become quite loose, dusty but very fast trails.

My 2.4 trail boss look like CX tires compared to these puppy's! 

5 years ago 29ers would have made a lot more sense if they considered changing standards like 148 boost etc to adress all the "cons" of 29ers. 27.5+ gets a warmer reception due to developments caused by Fatties and 29ers.

No one talks about sluggish acceleration on 27.5+ because ("you cannot compare it to ....ers) 

I think MTB will settle on a aspect ratio (width vs Diam) which is ultimatley the fastest for the racing discipline (DH, END,XC)

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-comp-6fattie-2016-review

Verdict

While the Stumpjumper Comp 6Fattie is more sluggish than bikes with regular tyres, climbing traction is a revelation and this largely makes up for the slightly less responsive ride elsewhere. The Stumpy is still a blast to bounce around on (literally), and it’s stacks of fun on the right terrain. It’s playful, it’s planted on steep descents, and the massive grip levels improve balance and braking, making it really sure-footed over rocks and roots. Given that you’re getting the latest tech at a fair price, the Stumpy 6Fattie offers some significant advantages while also keeping entertainment levels high. Just don’t expect it to cut through mud.

Spescialized-Stumpjumper-6fattie-2016.jp

Direct competitor to the Scott?

Edited by Odinson

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-comp-6fattie-2016-review

Verdict

While the Stumpjumper Comp 6Fattie is more sluggish than bikes with regular tyres, climbing traction is a revelation and this largely makes up for the slightly less responsive ride elsewhere. The Stumpy is still a blast to bounce around on (literally), and it’s stacks of fun on the right terrain. It’s playful, it’s planted on steep descents, and the massive grip levels improve balance and braking, making it really sure-footed over rocks and roots. Given that you’re getting the latest tech at a fair price, the Stumpy 6Fattie offers some significant advantages while also keeping entertainment levels high. Just don’t expect it to cut through mud.

Spescialized-Stumpjumper-6fattie-2016.jp

Direct competitor to the Scott?

Very much, yes. It is running 150mm / 135mm vs the Scott's 140mm / 130mm. What is interesting is their choice of 29mm rims with 3" tires - would be keen to give one a go to feel what effect that has.