Oval rings for mtb

Bizkit031

Can anyone tell me which interface chain ring I need to buy to fit on the spez SRAM1250 crankset, in other words, is it the 104BCD or something else?

Buy a direct mount - you wont look back

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im stupid...maybe some more info? Was looking at the AB oval rings and cant seem to see which one i must get.

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of all the oval direct mounts to see if they are all oval at the same angle? 

Will be interesting to see.

Angle is important because not all riders sit equally over the crank. Does have a major impact with oval rings.

I have a 1x11 setup and switching to oval was a "psychological" experience more than anything else.....  

Being a roadie, that only started mountain biking this year, I believe it comes naturally to push/pull so I cannot confirm that my legs feel "fresher" after a ride with the oval ring. I have 30T and 32T round rings and when I recently switched to a AB 32T oval I was thinking to myself this is strange as it "feels" like turning the 30T compared to the 32T (easier climbing, few more gears available on the cassette, "fresher legs after 80kms+ etc) and I actually did stop during a ride to count the teeth for sanity purpose.

I have a 1x11 setup and switching to oval was a "psychological" experience more than anything else.....

Being a roadie, that only started mountain biking this year, I believe it comes naturally to push/pull so I cannot confirm that my legs feel "fresher" after a ride with the oval ring. I have 30T and 32T round rings and when I recently switched to a AB 32T oval I was thinking to myself this is strange as it "feels" like turning the 30T compared to the 32T (easier climbing, few more gears available on the cassette, "fresher legs after 80kms+ etc) and I actually did stop during a ride to count the teeth for sanity purpose.[/quot

The question is then, if you currently ride a 32t round, do you go to a 34t oval or stick with the 32t?

From EVO Bike's website

30T Oval chainring has an ovality of 28/32T and is best for someone who uses currently 28 or 30T round ring.

* 32T oval ring will suit best someone who uses 31 or 32T chainring currently. While pedaling, you will feel quite similar effort to the one riding round 31T ring ( the smallest diameter of the oval is 30T), but you will gain the speed similar to riding 33/34T chainring.

* 34T Oval chainring has an ovality of 32/36T and is best for someone who uses currently 33 or 34T round ring.

Alan given my experience I would say 34T if you are comfortable with pushing the 32T on any and all terrain. Honestly it really feels strange in that my legs and mind said it feels like a 30T and I double checked.   

I like the AB 30-day exchange plan given the fact that it is expensive to buy a ring (not sure if it is available in SA) - try the 34T in your usual terrain and if it doesn't work exchange for a 32T.  

Alan given my experience I would say 34T if you are comfortable with pushing the 32T on any and all terrain. Honestly it really feels strange in that my legs and mind said it feels like a 30T and I double checked.

I like the AB 30-day exchange plan given the fact that it is expensive to buy a ring (not sure if it is available in SA) - try the 34T in your usual terrain and if it doesn't work exchange for a 32T.

I am comfortable ony 32t where i ride and my thoughts were that if the oval makes thinfs a little easier then maybe a 34t would be good. Then i thought about coupling that with a wide range praxis cassette to compensate for any difficulties in turning the thing over....and the funds are just going to fall from the heavens to make it happen:)

Where did you buy if from with that returns policy?

Found out my spez takes the standard 104.....

I had an issue fitting a 104 ring on a spez/sram spider, it was slighty different. Double check it fits before you buy.

Archived