Oval rings for mtb

Bizkit031

From what I can see you don't need and spacers with the AB one.I have a SLX 2x crank and a XT 3x crank what would be the better option to ise out of the 2 or does it not matter?

I have previously run mine on a 3x Truvativ Stylo crank(Giant Anthem) and now on a 2x SLX crank(Ginat Trance).

It just replaces the middle ring on the 3x or outer ring on the 2x.

The AB is threaded so you just need the chainring bolt.

Very easy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can see you don't need and spacers with the AB one.I have a SLX 2x crank and a XT 3x crank what would be the better option to ise out of the 2 or does it not matter?

Na, no spacers required. The AB 32 as little spacers built in as it is 30T at it's narrowest so the chain would interfere with the bolts if they weren't there. I did add additional spacers to mine (Deore 3X crank) mostly because I do prefer the chainline to be slightly biased towards the larger cogs on the cassette.

But having gone oval after running a round 32...I did notice a difference, especially with traction on very steep climbs. Just a little easier to get the cranks up and over the top dead centre for sure.

IMO there's NO downside to it...They're similarly priced to the round ones so get an oval. The pedaling circle also felt more "round" than with my old round ring anyway...Odd to explain, but that's definitely how it felt.

Na, no spacers required. The AB 32 as little spacers built in as it is 30T at it's narrowest so the chain would interfere with the bolts if they weren't there. I did add additional spacers to mine (Deore 3X crank) mostly because I do prefer the chainline to be slightly biased towards the larger cogs on the cassette.

But having gone oval after running a round 32...I did notice a difference, especially with traction on very steep climbs. Just a little easier to get the cranks up and over the top dead centre for sure.

IMO there's NO downside to it...They're similarly priced to the round ones so get an oval. The pedaling circle also felt more "round" than with my old round ring anyway...Odd to explain, but that's definitely how it felt.

I was warned against spacers as the ring needs the structural support provided by the crank arms. The AB has protruding sections which means it actually sits "inside" the crank for added strength.

With the spacers all of the tension/pressure from your pedal stroke is solely on the 4 little bolts. These days they tend to be alloy which is even more concerning in this instance.

If it works great, but I wouldn't do it personally.

I agree on the oval feeling more "round". Just down to how it speeds up through the dead zone I suppose.

I was warned against spacers as the ring needs the structural support provided by the crank arms. The AB has protruding sections which means it actually sits "inside" the crank for added strength.

With the spacers all of the tension/pressure from your pedal stroke is solely on the 4 little bolts. These days they tend to be alloy which is even more concerning in this instance.

If it works great, but I wouldn't do it personally.

I agree on the oval feeling more "round". Just down to how it speeds up through the dead zone I suppose.

I very much doubt you'll generate enough torque to shear/deform the bolts. Personally I prefer the spacers as lower wearing on my cassette thanks :D

BTW, I have Biopace rings on my road bike which is permanently mounted on my trainer in the garage. I have also ridden it on the road.

They feel very different, the oval is more pronounced. Perhaps it is because the road is flatter, I am not sure but anybody commenting from a road perspective will not be an accurate comparison. Again IMO.

I think the bio-pace rings ovality was actually off the ideal angle. 

Read the gx1 review on bikerumor.com

I think 1x10 is a waste of money for the hassle when gx1 is so good

What hassle would you say?

My LBS is fitting an AB 34t oval to my single speed bike this week while they are renewing the rest of the drivetrain.

I won't be able to comment on the effectiveness (real or perceived) for awhile.

my plan is to get a Sunrace 10-42 casette and then see if i can ride my normal 38t ring on most climbs ...then decide if i will go 32t or 34t oval

my plan is to get a Sunrace 10-42 casette and then see if i can ride my normal 38t ring on most climbs ...then decide if i will go 32t or 34t oval

You must have massive legs or tiny hills to ride 38-42 up hills :|

Damn dude 38t,I will even *** off on the flats with that thing.

Who are the local manufacturers and do they make a chain ring for the Shimano M980 triple?

Locals that I know of is Kalbo and Kitted

im not talking about big hills just want to see how much easier the 42 is on back then decide ..will prob be the 32t

Archived