The Munga 2016

Slowbee

Hi there everyone I purchased a Sinewave USB Charger for the Dynamo Hub I am using on the Munga, it went missing and I bought another, it is super light at 37grams and it also has a USB splitter. It is brand new at R585,00 off the price I paid. 

Let me know if you are interested I am in Johannesburg.

Details of the Sinewave Revolution - http://www.sinewavecycles.com/products/sinewave-revolution

With the dynamo hub, does it not worry you that you have increased resistance all the time when you will only need it in the nights and you will most likely sleep an hour or two in the early morning hours? Or does the hub have a method of disengaging somehow when it is not in charging mode? Sorry am actually interested in the technology but haven't looked at it closely or researched it much...

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you need to do a few all nighters and try atleast 1 48 hour stint, there is nothing to prepare you for day 2 3:30am when the sleep monsters come knocking but it's not nice experienceing it for the first time in a race situation, and when everyone is rearing to go it is very easy to over extend that first non stop stretch...

Dave, what gear did you take with you ?

What clothes etc did you take? Did you take any food, drinks etc ?

With the dynamo hub, does it not worry you that you have increased resistance all the time when you will only need it in the nights and you will most likely sleep an hour or two in the early morning hours? Or does the hub have a method of disengaging somehow when it is not in charging mode? Sorry am actually interested in the technology but haven't looked at it closely or researched it much...

I don't feel any difference between using a dynamo hub or the standard AC hubs I normally use. Clearly there must be a difference in resistance, but for me it is is negligible. 

I don't feel any difference between using a dynamo hub or the standard AC hubs I normally use. Clearly there must be a difference in resistance, but for me it is is negligible.

I was also wondering about this, but clearly they are not the same old dynamo technology from when I was young

Dave, what gear did you take with you ?

What clothes etc did you take? Did you take any food, drinks etc ?

I haven't done Munga, but done a fair amount od non stop adventure racing...

I carry less and less now, bear minimum in terms of mandatory gear, good rain jacket, good bivvy, good baselayers and go...

Food I take a lot with a lot of variance, protein shakes with high carb content, tend to get mouth ulcers on loooong races so softer foods are friendlier...

Never mind have read the FAQ on the page and all questions answered...

Hi there everyone I purchased a Sinewave USB Charger for the Dynamo Hub I am using on the Munga, it went missing and I bought another, it is super light at 37grams and it also has a USB splitter. It is brand new at R585,00 off the price I paid. 

Let me know if you are interested I am in Johannesburg.

Details of the Sinewave Revolution - http://www.sinewavecycles.com/products/sinewave-revolution

Dammit - just bought one myself in US - very nice kit though for anyone looking

I do notice mine a bit I'll be honest - but I am not a hugely powerful rider (FTP is around 220w). It's not a bother though on the flats or downhill. I turn off dynamo powered lights and systems on longer climbs though to avoid the extra load. In fact, I tend to use battery lights until they die and then go over to dynamo as backup. But on fast descents or sketchy sections I also put the dynamo lights on for added illumination.

What sort of time you aiming for Thor ?

I use the Shutter Precision PL – 8X dynamo hub (http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo%20hub.html). It weighs 420 grams, so is about 200 grams heavier than most standard hubs and probably the same as a 4 cell battery pack.  On the website they claim that extra physical input is 1 W with the light off and 7 W with the light on.  In practice I do not feel the difference. 

I use the Busch and Muller LUMOTEC IQ-X light (http://en.bumm.de/products/dynamo-headlights/lumotec-iq-x.html) and at full strength it produces 100 Lux.  I have never been able to work out how to compare Lux and Lumens, but if I compare the light with an Extreme light XP1, I would say it is about 400 to 500 Lumens.  The light strength is very dependable on the speed that you travel and it gets very weak when going up hills and full strength from 13 km/h and upwards.  

The up side is that one do not have to worry about charging battery packs (it is slow), cell phones, GPS etc., but the downside is that if the hub fails you are stuffed.

There are mixed reports on the reliability of the SP PL – 8X and as far as I know you have to send it back to the manufacturer (in Taiwan) to get the bearing replaced.

What sort of time you aiming for Thor ?

I just want a finisher's medal. First time I do anything of this sort, so have no idea how my body will respond to lots of riding and lack of sleep.   

I just want a finisher's medal. First time I do anything of this sort, so have no idea how my body will respond to lots of riding and lack of sleep.   

how did you find that long ride of yours ?

this weekend I am going out the comfort zone a tad. Doing a route I have not done in like 7 years. It is only 140km, but I have not ridden that far, well in like 7 years!

how did you find that long ride of yours ?

this weekend I am going out the comfort zone a tad. Doing a route I have not done in like 7 years. It is only 140km, but I have not ridden that far, well in like 7 years!

It made me realise that the shoes I planned on using will not work. I am very glad for that.

I think the biggest value in the long rides is the mental aspect and getting used to the hands/bum/feet/back discomfort. 

The ride was tiring but I felt pretty good the following day, which is encouraging.

It made me realise that the shoes I planned on using will not work. I am very glad for that.

I think the biggest value in the long rides is the mental aspect and getting used to the hands/bum/feet/back discomfort. 

The ride was tiring but I felt pretty good the following day, which is encouraging.

Which shoes do you currently have and why are you saying it is not going to work?

What are you looking at getting/using?

So this weekend, did a 60km gentle ride. 62km, avg 16.5 HR at 123, climbing 530.

Sunday did 4 passes, 135km, 1abg 14.7, HR just hit zone 2 at 131.

(https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/163810-4-passes/?source=lfp)

BUT! My ride is in severe jeopardy. I just cannot get my saddle to feel comfy. Meaning after 30km on both rides the pain starts, and by 50km I feel like someone has put hot coals with cacti needles on my seat bones. This morning I was chatting to the physio about a knee problem and she suggested xrays, as what I described to her she said does not sound right. So currently I am looking at my options. I do not want to get to the start line knowing that within 100km I will already be suffering. Yes I accept that suffering is part of this event. But given what happened on Sunday, I reckon I could make 600km max and then my ride would be over. So now I am just waiting on a few options.

Archived