Limits of a hardtail?

bikerdoodle

Hi,

So I bought my (first bike) Merida Big Nine 300 three weeks ago. This weekend while on Peach's intermediate skills clinic I bent / partially stripped the left pedal out of the crank arm...

I dropped it off at the LBS on my way home, and should hear today if it will be covered under warranty. But while I wait:

• Do I weigh too much? (1.92m, 90kg)
  • Am I exceeding the limits of the bike? (30cm drops)
  • Should I think about a better crank arm? (Looks like it's Shimano Alivio M4000)

I think I was the only hardtail at the clinic, don't know if I should read something into that...

Thanks 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about the bikes limitations just yet. Just focus on progressing your own skills and enjoy what you have now. You have to ride it a lot longer than 3 weeks before you start to realize the limitations of your bike. Don't worry about what other people are riding just yet either. Enjoy the journey my bru. Lots to look forward to.

Hi,

So I bought my (first bike) Merida Big Nine 300 three weeks ago. This weekend while on Peach's intermediate skills clinic I bent / partially stripped the left pedal out of the crank arm...

I dropped it off at the LBS on my way home, and should hear today if it will be covered under warranty. But while I wait:

• Do I weigh too much? (1.92m, 90kg)
  • Am I exceeding the limits of the bike? (30cm drops)
  • Should I think about a better crank arm? (Looks like it's Shimano Alivio M4000)

I think I was the only hardtail at the clinic, don't know if I should read something into that...

Thanks 

I think the problem lies in the pedal itself, the OEM pedals that come with those bikes are crappy at best....look for yourself a decent pair of pedals....are you looking to use cleats or flat pedals?

I think the problem lies in the pedal itself, the OEM pedals that come with those bikes are crappy at best....look for yourself a decent pair of pedals....are you looking to use cleats or flat pedals?

Probably still flat for the foreseeable future...

If what you described happened going down a 30 cm drop, you're probably not absorbing the impact the way you should if you're riding a hardtail. If you stick to your hardtail and don't go spend a million bucks like all the other newbies out there you'll learn the proper technique way faster than them. 

Look into getting some nicer pedals, flats, not cleats. You can get cleats once you feel you can ride the trails you like without fearing death. Getting cleats will more than likely simply over complicate things and teach you a bunch of bad habits. I have a number of friends that I ride with that still can't bunny hop even after years of cycling simply because they're so used to having the bike attached to their feet.

Happy riding, and sorry for the information overload.

(I rode my Avalanche Reflex HARD for a couple of years before it eventually gave in. Okay I was only 65kgs, but the bike had the worst components in the world and I was ripping down scree slopes and dropping off every man made object I could find in a 100km radius)

Do you mean the "flats" that came with it, or do you have properflat pedals on it ? Guys do doenhill on proper flat pedals so they should take a fair amount of abuse.

OP, a dual-susser isn't the silver bullet that many think it is. 

Stick to your hardtail, slap on a set of good quality flat pedals and keep working on those skills. 

Ditto what Odinson said.

When you're starting off, a hardtail will teach you skills you'll never learn on a full susser.

OK, so the consensus is better pedals - no issue there.

But if the crank arm stripped, and not the pedal, then surely this will happen again, even with better pedals, unless I 'upgrade' the crank arm too?

OK, so the consensus is better pedals - no issue there.

But if the crank arm stripped, and not the pedal, then surely this will happen again, even with better pedals, unless I 'upgrade' the crank arm too?

Yeah, upgrade the crank as well. Those low end cranks are really, really shaite. 

Best bet is to go with a current / previous gen Deore / SLX / XT. 

Archived