Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know, I havent read it either and I enjoy those kinds of books.

Will do, Grumps! Been doing so little personal reading of late. Am all read out after a day of editing for money, that I have little time for doing it for fun! Hope it answers some of the stuff I asked earlier in the thread

For anyone who is interested in second world war spy stories I have just finished "Into the lions mouth - the true story of Dusco Popov - a world war 2 German spy.

Apparently the book was the inspiration for the James Bond series of books and movies.... anyway it is hard reading initially as it goes through the history of Nazi Germany, the Abwehr, MI5 and MI6 as well as the FBI, all of whom at one stage used Popov's spy services, but once it gets into the meat of the story (ie) how he gathered intelligence, how he fed his master of the day false information, how the FBI threw him to the dogs by blowing his cover and he had to run for his life when the Germans realized he was a double agent and set out to murder him.

A good read if you enjoy historical documentaries, strangely enough he became enormously wealthy during the war been paid handsomely for his spy work by all the agencies, when the rest of Europe was living with food rations he was living on caviar, but it was a risky business and there were a number of attempts on his life. 

Reading one of my Christmas presents at the moment and enjoying it

Amazing how we had so much in common.From his best mate Mike Siddle who was in my class at school to the recording studio where he cut his first album.And all those musicians at the time on the Cape Town circuit

Great read

And of course...the politicspost-523-0-05831600-1484669442_thumb.jpg

For anyone who is interested in second world war spy stories I have just finished "Into the lions mouth - the true story of Dusco Popov - a world war 2 German spy.

Apparently the book was the inspiration for the James Bond series of books and movies.... anyway it is hard reading initially as it goes through the history of Nazi Germany, the Abwehr, MI5 and MI6 as well as the FBI, all of whom at one stage used Popov's spy services, but once it gets into the meat of the story (ie) how he gathered intelligence, how he fed his master of the day false information, how the FBI threw him to the dogs by blowing his cover and he had to run for his life when the Germans realized he was a double agent and set out to murder him.

A good read if you enjoy historical documentaries, strangely enough he became enormously wealthy during the war been paid handsomely for his spy work by all the agencies, when the rest of Europe was living with food rations he was living on caviar, but it was a risky business and there were a number of attempts on his life.

Sounds excellent Grumps

Sounds excellent Grumps

Yah, it is Veteun, I battled a bit through the first quarter of the book as its all about the history of the organisations like the Abwehr, the Gestapo, MI5/6 at that time, their agenda in gathering info, who ran these operations, who they were accountable to, how they sent coded messages (which in the case of the Abwehr was ingenious actually), where there were "safe" houses for spies in different countries who were on the run and so on.

One needs the backround I guess to understand how Popov was operating and who he was reporting to etc but its quite technical, theres lots of copies of manuscripts, coded letters etc and not really light reading. 

However, once it gets to the actual spy operations its riveting reading.        

Yah, it is Veteun, I battled a bit through the first quarter of the book as its all about the history of the organisations like the Abwehr, the Gestapo, MI5/6 at that time, their agenda in gathering info, who ran these operations, who they were accountable to, how they sent coded messages (which in the case of the Abwehr was ingenious actually), where there were "safe" houses for spies in different countries who were on the run and so on.

One needs the backround I guess to understand how Popov was operating and who he was reporting to etc but its quite technical, theres lots of copies of manuscripts, coded letters etc and not really light reading. 

However, once it gets to the actual spy operations its riveting reading.        

a quick read of his wikipedia page suggests the book would be rather interesting to read.

any mention of his meetings with Hoover over Pearl Harbour?

a quick read of his wikipedia page suggests the book would be rather interesting to read.

any mention of his meetings with Hoover over Pearl Harbour?

Yes, quite a bit, he actually warned Hoover and the FBI intelligence 6 months before the strike at Pearl Harbour that the strike was been planned but they never acted on it.

It was a tough time for him as he lost some friends in Pearl Harbour as well. 

• 2 months later...

My list of All-Time Best, Must-Read Graphic Novels and Comic Book Series

By Author:

Brian Michael Bendis – Alias

Kurt Busiek – Marvels, Astro City

Mike Carey – Lucifer

Warren Ellis – Transmetropolitan, Planetary, The Authority, Moon Knight

Garth Ennis – Hitman, Preacher, Punisher MAX

Neil Gaiman – The Sandman

Mark Millar – The Ultimates, Civil War, Huck, Old Man Logan

Frank Miller – Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One

Alan Moore – Watchmen

Grant Morrison – All-Star Superman, 52, We3

Mark Waid – Kingdom Come, 52

My list of All-Time Best, Must-Read Graphic Novels and Comic Book Series

By Author:

Brian Michael Bendis – Alias

Kurt Busiek – Marvels, Astro City

Mike Carey – Lucifer

Warren Ellis – Transmetropolitan, Planetary, The Authority, Moon Knight

Garth Ennis – Hitman, Preacher, Punisher MAX

Neil Gaiman – The Sandman

Mark Millar – The Ultimates, Civil War, Huck, Old Man Logan

Frank Miller – Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One

Alan Moore – Watchmen

Grant Morrison – All-Star Superman, 52, We3

Mark Waid – Kingdom Come, 52

I'm saving this... 

If you are a sci-fi fan and you are looking for recommendations, you might find this helpful: The top 16 results of a quick poll somebody did on a group I belong to.

http://i.imgur.com/kPAgj76.jpg

I'd rather not, thank you. Three years of Sociology and an Honours degree and I can summarise all those theories and research on racism, prejudice and oppression for you in one sentence:: Don't be an asshole. (And, if you have kids, raise them not to be assholes either.)

If you are a sci-fi fan and you are looking for recommendations, you might find this helpful: The top 16 results of a quick poll somebody did on a group I belong to.

http://i.imgur.com/kPAgj76.jpg

Thanks!!

The Ender saga I thought a bit long in the tooth after the 2nd. Like they were trying too hard. Was a fantastic and very different sorta series, but against Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, I found it sorely lacking. But then Foundation was (and still is) one of my favourite space opera type series. 

Still haven't read the Robot series though. 

Night's Dawn was awesome. 

Hitchhikers - well, yeah... That's a classic.

Dune... took a long time to get into, tried to get into it for the best part of 4 years and just couldn't... Then I had a day where I just thought fuggit. Klapped half the book in a day and was hooked. 

NEED to read Ringworld, and Expanse. Watching the series at the moment and it's developing really nicely, after (what I felt) to be a bit of a stuttered start. 

Will definitely look into the others!

Thanks!!

The Ender saga I thought a bit long in the tooth after the 2nd. Like they were trying too hard. Was a fantastic and very different sorta series, but against Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, I found it sorely lacking. But then Foundation was (and still is) one of my favourite space opera type series. 

Still haven't read the Robot series though. 

Night's Dawn was awesome. 

Hitchhikers - well, yeah... That's a classic.

Dune... took a long time to get into, tried to get into it for the best part of 4 years and just couldn't... Then I had a day where I just thought fuggit. Klapped half the book in a day and was hooked. 

NEED to read Ringworld, and Expanse. Watching the series at the moment and it's developing really nicely, after (what I felt) to be a bit of a stuttered start. 

Will definitely look into the others!

Yeah, I felt the same about the Ender books. Loved the first one and I loved the one about Bean (Ender's Shadow, I think ) but didn't find the rest that captivating.

Asimov has always been a favourite with my brother and myself, but he loves Foundation whereas I never got into it and prefer the I, Robot stories. Maybe because he's more into science/ engineering and I'm more into psychology/philosophy?

Love Dune, but the books got less interesting for me as the series progressed.

As you can see, I voted for the Polity series by Neal Asher, my personal favourite sci-fi writer (lots of action, scary aliens, bad-ass characters). I tried a Culture book by Iain Banks once, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just too young? Will try it again some day.

I just started the Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin because my brother has been raving about him for months. Definitely something new, so far.

Edited by Readsalot

Busy with two vastly different books. Blood song by Anthony Ryan which has been very enjoyable. The other is Danny MacAskill's autobiography. The man is a genius imho. The way he can conceive what will be a good set of tricks to do is rather amazing. A true inspiration.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk