Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

Busy with two vastly different books. Blood song by Anthony Ryan which has been very enjoyable. 

I loved the first book! Blood Song was really good.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the first book! Blood Song was really good.

For the themes it deals with it reads quite easy. I find the characters rather compelling as well. In some ways I find it reminiscent of Tolkien's LOTR but without the characters having sudden knowledge they hadn't a few pages before. As they learn you learn. Keeps you turning the pages to read more!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

My local bookstore had a clean out a week or two ago and I picked up a few Jeremy Clarkson books for a coupla dollars, I read the one "Born to be riled" and it was a hoot, dont expect any profound reading moments, its all light hearted nonsense but he has an amazing sense of humour and is somehow able to get it across very well on paper. I enjoyed it.

I started "The World according to Clarkson" yesterday and in a similar vein I find it immensely humorous, if easy light reading is what you are looking for, I can recommend them. 

post-2696-0-81018600-1490898302.jpg

Have any of you guys read this book? The story is incredible. The humanity of it amazing. Not exactly sure of the all the "facts", but it did make me do a bit more online research.

Who would have thought the CIA and MI5 worked together to have a tunnel under the berlin wall taping into GDR telephone lines- but the germans knew about it because of a spy in MI5. It is nothing short of incredible.

attachicon.gifindex.jpg

Have any of you guys read this book? The story is incredible. The humanity of it amazing. Not exactly sure of the all the "facts", but it did make me do a bit more online research.

Who would have thought the CIA and MI5 worked together to have a tunnel under the berlin wall taping into GDR telephone lines- but the germans knew about it because of a spy in MI5. It is nothing short of incredible.

I may go download this one.

Just like the book I suggested a few posts back "Into the lions mouth" which was also about world war two spies, MI5, MI6, the CIA etc we can see they played an enormous part in the events as they unfolded, I would go so far as to say without the spies who turned against Germany and started working for the allies, the outcome may have been very different.

I may go download this one.

Just like the book I suggested a few posts back "Into the lions mouth" which was also about world war two spies, MI5, MI6, the CIA etc we can see they played an enormous part in the events as they unfolded, I would go so far as to say without the spies who turned against Germany and started working for the allies, the outcome may have been very different.

how do you think I found this book ?

your book recommendation got me looking to others. simply love these real spy story books. 

in terms of the tunnel book, there is one dedicated to the MI5/CIA tunnel. Will look it up a bit later.

Finished this and started on the second one. All I will say so far is it's definitely not for novice readers. You will either need a basic to fair understanding of physics or be able to follow explanations pretty well. Also, almost all of the first book takes place in China so the names, events and culture take some getting used to.

But besides being complex, it's also intriguing and like anything that takes a bit of time to master, the more you get into it the more rewarding it becomes. 

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1415428227l/20518872.jpg

My local bookstore had a clean out a week or two ago and I picked up a few Jeremy Clarkson books for a coupla dollars, I read the one "Born to be riled" and it was a hoot, dont expect any profound reading moments, its all light hearted nonsense but he has an amazing sense of humour and is somehow able to get it across very well on paper. I enjoyed it.

I started "The World according to Clarkson" yesterday and in a similar vein I find it immensely humorous, if easy light reading is what you are looking for, I can recommend them.

I find it painful reading any of his books. And thats from someone who enjoys the Top Gear shows.

Dont know why.......

I find it painful reading any of his books. And thats from someone who enjoys the Top Gear shows.

Dont know why.......

Interesting, its the first of his books I have read and I must say I have enjoyed them, he is definitely not to everyone's taste and some of his stories are seriously mocking, "PC" he is most certainly not!. 

I think he keeps the mailman pretty busy delivering all the hate mail and is probably quite happy when they go on strike, or his internet connection goes down, but you just have to accept it for what it is, Jeremy Clarkson, and brush it off.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read this:

post-44358-0-38194900-1493206749_thumb.jpg

Starting this:

post-44358-0-63470100-1493206800_thumb.jpg

on recommendation of this:

post-44358-0-29459800-1493206859_thumb.jpg

Is this a book club and if so may I open a bottle of red?

Because I have too much time on my hands now after knee surgery, I have lots of time for reading (and writing on message boards :whistling: ). I just finished "Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah. Enjoyed it a lot, funny and gives me an extra insight into South-African society after our wonderful holiday in March. 

I already knew Trevor Noah from the Daily Show and some of his stand-up comedy. I didn't realise he came from such a poor background. What a career he's made for himself, respect! 

Because I have too much time on my hands now after knee surgery, I have lots of time for reading (and writing on message boards :whistling: ). I just finished "Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah. Enjoyed it a lot, funny and gives me an extra insight into South-African society after our wonderful holiday in March. 

I already knew Trevor Noah from the Daily Show and some of his stand-up comedy. I didn't realise he came from such a poor background. What a career he's made for himself, respect! 

yeah dude. HIs is a patchwork of a rise to fame. Shows that upbringing has a LOT to do with how successful you are. If you're taught that you can do anything, and your education is fostered, you're taught proper moral guidelines and ethical standards by your teachers and parents, you can achieve pretty much anything if you set your mind to it. 

Goes back to my primary gripe against the incumbent overseers (ANC) - EDUCATION. 

Fix that, and we fix EVERYTHING. It'll take a while, sure, but fix that and it'll all come together eventually. 

Absolutely, totally agree. Even Madiba said is "education is the most powerful weapon to change the world".
I've read " a long walk to freedom" a few years ago too, very impressive reading as well. Is that compulsary reading in SA schools nowadays?