Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

I am busy with the 5th book in the King and Maxwell  series by David Baldacci.

Easy reading but I enjoyed it.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Indeed I have, I enjoyed it but I enjoyed his early travel books more, as Steven mentioned Walk in the woods was also good, his "short history" got a bit boring for me eventually, but it was still a nice read....I give it 70%.  :D

Don't watch the movie though!!!

Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in it, its pretty boring, well IMO.

His early travel books were what made me a fan - humorous and entertaining. But his Short History was what really made him stand out in my mind. He has an ability to write about science and history that made it so interesting that even I finished the book - and I usually fall asleep when you just mention the words 'history' or 'science'. Same with his book about Shakespeare - not normally something I would enjoy reading.

As for the the movie - I quite liked it. I thought the pace suited it. Rather than a comedy, it was a slow and meandering feel-good lazy Sunday afternoon movie about two old friends who took a long walk in the woods and discovered a little more about themselves, growing older and friendship.      

I started reading the Longmire series by Craig Johnson last week and so far I'm really enjoying it. Fast to read with interesting characters and quirky dialogue. Great to see him pay tribute to Robert B Parker, one of my all-time favourite authors and I love all the Louis L"Amour references as well. Will probably give the TV series a go once I've finished the books.

http://img11.deviantart.net/6e99/i/2012/297/0/4/longmire_by_wolfdragonful-d5ithc0.jpg

I started reading the Longmire series by Craig Johnson last week and so far I'm really enjoying it. Fast to read with interesting characters and quirky dialogue. Great to see him pay tribute to Robert B Parker, one of my all-time favourite authors and I love all the Louis L"Amour references as well. Will probably give the TV series a go once I've finished the books.

http://img11.deviantart.net/6e99/i/2012/297/0/4/longmire_by_wolfdragonful-d5ithc0.jpg

Indeed, I still have many of Louis L'Amours early westerns on my book shelf, they were great easy reading. Another great Western author was George G Gilman, he wrote a series of westerns known as EDGE.

I have just pulled one off my shelf now Edge - the loner, Published in 1971 and I paid a whole R1.95 for it. :eek: 

I'll try take a photo just for fun.     

His early travel books were what made me a fan - humorous and entertaining. But his Short History was what really made him stand out in my mind. He has an ability to write about science and history that made it so interesting that even I finished the book - and I usually fall asleep when you just mention the words 'history' or 'science'. Same with his book about Shakespeare - not normally something I would enjoy reading.

As for the the movie - I quite liked it. I thought the pace suited it. Rather than a comedy, it was a slow and meandering feel-good lazy Sunday afternoon movie about two old friends who took a long walk in the woods and discovered a little more about themselves, growing older and friendship.

Cant remember the exact name, we are moving so its packed away, but he wrote a book on Shakespeare. Sort of a biography of his life. Very interesting. Will try and find the book once moved and post a pic.

To keep me busy while the boys study.

I haven't read anything since I bindged like that since January..

23efad24917fc95f57b446a80729efd4.jpg

Edited by Gen

And as it is father's day coming up.. I got hubby the 'new' Lestat book.. How i missed that she had written another one is a mystery.. but I got very excited when I saw it.. (yes okay.. I also got him a very cute Buck pocket knife for his collection)

ab2c6c135a2edd1442eada3b9b30058c.jpg

To keep me busy while the boys study.

I haven't read anything since I bindged like that since January..

23efad24917fc95f57b446a80729efd4.jpg

Have any of you read it..?

In Sweden it was published as a trilogy.. but the English version is 1 book in 3 parts.. Probably were concerned that the English readers would he too messed up after book one to buy the other 2 books[emoji6]

Definitely a book that will linger in my mind for a long time... okay I still have 100 pages to go.. almost 800 pages.. but shees I have had to take regular little breaks from it.. definitely won't be for everyone as it is rather disturbing..and it seriously messes with your mind.

Edited by Gen

Very good so far. I have heard a lot about Swedish crime writers and this one has not disappointed. Another one is Stieg Larson of the 'Girl with the Butterfly Tattoo"

If you want to read reviews before buying, I found a rather good review site, and there is a big section on Scandinavian Crime fiction.

www.crimefictionlover.com

Have any of you read it..?

In Sweden it was published as a trilogy.. but the English version is 1 book in 3 parts.. Probably were concerned that the English readers would he too messed up after book one to buy the other 2 books[emoji6]

Definitely a book that will linger in my mind for a long time... okay I still have 100 pages to go.. almost 800 pages.. but shees I have had to take regular little breaks from it.. definitely won't be for everyone as it is rather disturbing..and it seriously messes with your mind.

This is exactly the kind of book I wouldn't read if you paid me to do it. There is too much tragedy and darkness in the world already, so I definitely don't want to spend my free time reading about it. 

This is exactly the kind of book I wouldn't read if you paid me to do it. There is too much tragedy and darkness in the world already, so I definitely don't want to spend my free time reading about it.

I may have to read a few Jughead comics after this lol

It's a very good book.. but like I said not everyone's cup of tea..

If you want to read reviews before buying, I found a rather good review site, and there is a big section on Scandinavian Crime fiction.

www.crimefictionlover.com

I just use Goodreads. I like the fact that you get reviews from readers plus sometimes you get to interact a little with some of the more active writers. I'm not overly fond of their rating system (I would have preferred a ten-star system rather than a five-star system, since I sometimes feel a book deserves 70% rather than 60 or 80) but it usually tends to balance out and I have learned to live with it.

Like the book I'm reading now, Outriders by Jay Posey. It was published just over a month ago and scored an average of 3.99 out of 5 from about 150 ratings, which seemed to me a good indication that it was worth checking out. And so far I'm enjoying it!

post-93502-0-29470400-1466415112_thumb.jpg

I just use Goodreads. I like the fact that you get reviews from readers plus sometimes you get to interact a little with some of the more active writers. I'm not overly fond of their rating system (I would have preferred a ten-star system rather than a five-star system, since I sometimes feel a book deserves 70% rather than 60 or 80) but it usually tends to balance out and I have learned to live with it.

Like the book I'm reading now, Outriders by Jay Posey. It was published just over a month ago and scored an average of 3.99 out of 5 from about 150 ratings, which seemed to me a good indication that it was worth checking out. And so far I'm enjoying it!

I use goodreads too.. so I can mark certain books as "want to read" there are so many good books out there at least this way I can remember something I saw and still wanted to read.[emoji23]

I use goodreads too.. so I can mark certain books as "want to read" there are so many good books out there at least this way I can remember something I saw and still wanted to read.[emoji23]

Same here!  :lol: