Spectacular criterium racing comes to national classics

News bot

Is that R190 for one crit or the series?

If its just for the one, then its too expensive. If for series, then how many in the series?

Don't think there would be too many non-licensed fun riders riding the crits. They are not easy at all, but a spectacular to see as a spectator. 

I read somewhere that it will cater for the licensed riders according to CSA age categories. 

Would be fantastic, I am expecting quite a few trackies to also participate in them. Fast and furious. 

I see the entries page does indeed make provision for elite women. Extremely excited for this! It's time for some good crit racing here.

Not previously activated on a national basis? Maybe I am a nay-sayer, but in the 80's and 90's there was a criterium/kermesse every weekend. There was the Sanlam Kermesse series...the Coca Cola kermesse series...Top-Star, SunnyPark, Benoni Mall, Jet-Park, Randburg Il Campione, Zoo Lake, Westville Pavillion and so many more...?

The article makes it sound like an all new concept here in SA. I think crit racing is the best form of racing on road, & helps develop riders. Better speed, handling and tactical ability.

A bunch of 150 riders (SA funriders) doing a crit.

Should be spectacular crashes!  :thumbup:

I do agree Spinnekop. 150 riders around a Crit circuit is looking for trouble. Count me out. Why not limit it to 50 riders and have a proper crit race.

I watched some of the Engen Cycle in the City events on TV and what I saw was poor participation. With the exception of Elite and under 23 men, most starting grids were pretty dismal.

Hope this doesn't happen here.

Did a crit once. That zoo lake thing. It was flipping awful. Heart rate went to 190 in about 60 seconds and stayed there for about 10 minutes and I was shelled out the back. Almost vomited. Was humiliated and embarrassed.

I will give it a go. How can you say no to that level of pain combined with a high chance of a spectacular, painful and very public accident. Great fun