Tubeless Tyre Advice

Wayneman

So Im looking at replacing my tyres and going the tubeless route.

I will be doing mainly cross country type riding and more of a social rider than competitive.

What tyre brands and models can you guys recommend (29").

Don't want to spend fortunes - Im the other fella, not Rockerfella, but id like a good quality and durable tyre.

So Im looking at replacing my tyres and going the tubeless route.

I will be doing mainly cross country type riding and more of a social rider than competitive.

What tyre brands and models can you guys recommend (29").

Don't want to spend fortunes - Im the other fella, not Rockerfella, but id like a good quality and durable tyre.

Maxxis tyres, CWC have promos on them all the time.

Maxxis tyres, CWC have promos on them all the time.

+1

Maxxis has always offered good value imo.

That said, my mtb is still 26". :blush:

So many options available, but maybe look at the Maxxis combo of an Ardent 29X2.4 (front) and Ikon 29X2.2 (back). Another option at the rear is the Ardent Race.

Remember to get the EXO/TR versions.

There is always some sort of Maxxis  been advertised  on special all over as stated above.

The Momsen/Arisun Mount Graham is UST ready and in the wire bead version the price is ridiculously low and even there folding bead price is reasonable aswell.

So many options available, but maybe look at the Maxxis combo of an Ardent 29X2.4 (front) and Ikon 29X2.2 (back). Another option at the rear is the Ardent Race.

Remember to get the EXO/TR versions.

Is there really a noticeable difference between the Ardent and Ikon up front? I have Ikon front and rear. Didn't do excessive research when I asked for them to be fitted.

Or Continental Race King / X-King combo. A bit more expensive but really grippy and durable IMHO. The new truly tubeless ready version should be the bomb, as the older "not really tubeless" ones were a real pain for me to get to seal on the sidewalls.

Is there really a noticeable difference between the Ardent and Ikon up front? I have Ikon front and rear. Didn't do excessive research when I asked for them to be fitted.

Yip. Ardent is a more aggressive, trail-oriented tyre. Ikon is a XC tyre.If you are very confident in your bike handling skills, you can run an Ikon upfront. High speed cornering and loose trail surfaces may be sketchy, as the tyre doesn't have high grip levels. 

Yip. Ardent is a more aggressive, trail-oriented tyre. Ikon is a XC tyre.If you are very confident in your bike handling skills, you can run an Ikon upfront. High speed cornering and loose trail surfaces may be sketchy, as the tyre doesn't have high grip levels.

Will give it a shot once my current tires are dead.

I am a real cheapskate when it comes to tyres.

I ride an Intense Spider 29er with full XTR but I am miserly when it comes to tyres as I have found that the cost of the UST range of tyres far outweigh the benefits.

I regularly purchase tubeless ready tyres on sale. R 150.00 is the highest price that I have paid recently from Solomons in Woodmead (Bontrager XR1 team edition) Brilliant tyres.

I do cut the sidewalls occasionally, but I need to kill 4 tyres at R 150.00 to match the price of 1 UST at +- R 600.00.

Lere has wire bead tyres on sale for R 80.00 at the moment. I have even seated cheap Arisun wire beaded 29er tyres successfully tubeless on a friends 'budget bike'.

Anything is possible using the correct methods.

Spaz Ground Control back - R489.00

Spaz Purgatory Control front - R489.00

Get the Grid version if you want a stronger sidewall.

I ride an Intense Spider 29er with full XTR but I am miserly when it comes to tyres as I have found that the cost of the UST range of tyres far outweigh the benefits.

I regularly purchase tubeless ready tyres on sale. R 150.00 is the highest price that I have paid recently from Solomons in Woodmead (Bontrager XR1 team edition) Brilliant tyres.

I do cut the sidewalls occasionally, but I need to kill 4 tyres at R 150.00 to match the price of 1 UST at +- R 600.00.

Lere has wire bead tyres on sale for R 80.00 at the moment. I have even seated cheap Arisun wire beaded 29er tyres successfully tubeless on a friends 'budget bike'.

Like another situation in life, don't skimp on good rubber.

Like another situation in life, don't skimp on good rubber.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  True words.

I only rode Maxxis Crossmark UST for many years, but had 1 in 4 tyres bubble on me (My riding partner who is insists on staying with Crossmark still has the same issues).

A very good friend of my who is a South African Masters Cross Country Champion convinced me to go the 'alternative' route. He has only ever ridden 'cheap' rubber and no one can convince him otherwise.

I suppose my provisor should be that I only buy tyres cheaply and do not buy cheap tyres (Unless you would call Bontrager and Schwalbe cheap  :) )

Safe cycling all

Thats all good and well it you if you have a side wall cut if you are training . 

if you are half way through the 360 away from home, you want something that works 

Archived