Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

On a brighter note, I finally got around to installing TVaddons "fusion" on my phone last night. Used the addon installer to ad Exodus, Phoenix and FTV.

Had the pleasure of watching Cav beat Greipel to the line while chilling in bed with the heater on. What a close finish....

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for those who are more tech savy than myself. I have been using my old HP Envy dv6 laptop for streaming (HDMI connection to TV).

The cooling fan has just gone and a new one from HP is R2k.

A quick look on the net shows basic notebooks available from R4k upwards so almost makes sense to rather invest in a new machine?

If all i want to do is download and watch series and movies, and stream sport what is my best bet? I'd rather have it portable as I also use to watch when I'm on the indoor trainer.

I have a question for those who are more tech savy than myself. I have been using my old HP Envy dv6 laptop for streaming (HDMI connection to TV).

The cooling fan has just gone and a new one from HP is R2k.

A quick look on the net shows basic notebooks available from R4k upwards so almost makes sense to rather invest in a new machine?

If all i want to do is download and watch series and movies, and stream sport what is my best bet? I'd rather have it portable as I also use to watch when I'm on the indoor trainer.

you want the device to store your downloaded content too?

how you planning on streaming sport? do you already have a method? as sport is kind of hit and miss and requires lots of different apps

you want the device to store your downloaded content too?

how you planning on streaming sport? do you already have a method? as sport is kind of hit and miss and requires lots of different apps

1. It has to be able to store some content (I need to run Trainerroad cycling program on it). I have an external HD so a large HD capacity is not necessary

2. Streaming of sport will be through SS site (I have a DSTV account...long story...no DSTV at my house)

1. It has to be able to store some content (I need to run Trainerroad cycling program on it). I have an external HD so a large HD capacity is not necessary

2. Streaming of sport will be through SS site (I have a DSTV account...long story...no DSTV at my house)

well that limits your options as you have to have a mac or windows device

maybe a cloudgate windows device??

http://www.takealot.com/all?sort=Price%20Descending&rows=10&start=0&qsearch=cloudgate&backend=fbye-yo01-jvgu-erenaxvat&filter=Available:true

Can you run trainer road on an android device?

doesnt look like it according to their website..only ios

well that limits your options as you have to have a mac or windows device

maybe a cloudgate windows device??

http://www.takealot.com/all?sort=Price%20Descending&rows=10&start=0&qsearch=cloudgate&backend=fbye-yo01-jvgu-erenaxvat&filter=Available:true

yeah I would vote against the cloudgate for that. 

I have a ton of them at various sites and they are great for what they are meant to do but terrible as a desktop replacement. 

yeah I would vote against the cloudgate for that. 

I have a ton of them at various sites and they are great for what they are meant to do but terrible as a desktop replacement. 

ok..to be honest I dont know how well they perform..just the only small form factor low cost windows replacement box i know...but...is he looking for a desktop replacement? I dont think so

ok..to be honest I dont know how well they perform..just the only small form factor low cost windows replacement box i know...but...is he looking for a desktop replacement? I dont think so

Not a desktop replacement exactly. Pretty much has to be able to run vlc for downloads and trainerroad for cycling.

I'm assuming I have to connect Cloudgate device to a screen? At the moment laptop works nicely because I can put it on a bar stool in front of indoor trainer. (No TV currently in bike room so laptop shuffles between lounge and bike room)

Not yet they are still building android. They have desktop apps and an iOS app but if you want to use your iphone then you need another ANT+ dongle for your phone which is another cost to add on. Laptop works nicely through normal ANT+ miniUSB

doesnt look like it according to their website..only ios

Looks like it is coming soon.... might be worth trying to run it on an android media player - my son plays chess on the same box that runs kodi  - works surprisingly well - still havn't got my head around a 5y/o playing chess with 15 games going at the same time - at least we can see he is playing chess and not games on the big screen.

I probably worded it badly, its a great device as a thin client, anything more than that and the wheels fall of a bit.

Pricing is good and it has a windows license so that is a plus.

If the device can be a really low powered machine then that is fine.

I remember the days when the HP microserver would have been the ideal solution.

I probably worded it badly, its a great device as a thin client, anything more than that and the wheels fall of a bit.

Pricing is good and it has a windows license so that is a plus.

If the device can be a really low powered machine then that is fine.

I remember the days when the HP microserver would have been the ideal solution.

It almost sounds perfect for me except for the fact that I need to be able to use it in different rooms to watch tv and use for cycling apps.