First time buyer

Monique1992

Good day all!

Let me first give some background info before I ask a question.

I am brand new to cycling, as in, I only learned to ride a bicycle earlier in the week, for the first time. I missed that part as a kid, developed an unhealthy fear of falling and then had to learn how to ride at 24 years of age.

So here is my question:

Do I buy n cheaper bike and first get used to it, as I'm sure falling is inevitable? What kind do you recommend and where do I go from here? I do love riding so far!

Please note that I have a tight budget.

Thanks for your help!

Stay away from  super store bike (makro, game, pickn pay)  You can get a much better bike 2nd hand through the hub or olx.  Find some you like in your budget and post them here for comment by us.

You will fall more better built bikes and usually the aluminium kind are built to take a beating so dont sweat it.  Once you've gotten into the sport a bit and the bug bites then look at buying a kick as ride.

Welcome to our world and big ups for learning to ride!! Its never too late.

How tall are you?

<165-170cm - Look for Small frame bikes

170-180cm - Medium frame

180-190cm - Large

>190cm X-Large

That's a rough guideline.

What is your budget and does it need to include buying kit like helmet, shorts etc as well?

I'm 1,70m tall and small build. I have a budget of about R2000 at most because I need to get the hang of it first. Doesn't help we buy a super expensive bike and it ends up standing in the garage. But my husband tends to lean more toward bikes with brake pads rather than VEE brakes (hoping this makes sense as I know nothing about bikes). This will influence a buy

Shew thats a little low, might nt find anything here for that budget (but you never know).  Check out OLX for a few that grab your eye.  Post the links here and we will aid you in your choice. Yeah disk brakes definitely better.

I'm 1,70m tall and small build. I have a budget of about R2000 at most because I need to get the hang of it first. Doesn't help we buy a super expensive bike and it ends up standing in the garage. But my husband tends to lean more toward bikes with brake pads rather than VEE brakes (hoping this makes sense as I know nothing about bikes). This will influence a buy

Hi Monique,

My wife was in a similar position a few years ago. I bought her a Nomad 40, if I recall it was an Axis. It was a terrible bike, brakes would rub on meaning she was always pedalling twice as hard for he same distance. The components were equally "budget parts".

I paid R3800 brand new for the bike at the time.

What I am saying is that R2000 is a very low budget, unfortunately spending that amount to "get the hang of it" can ultimately give a very false impression of the sport and ruin it for you.

We ended up selling the Nomad for next to nothing and buying a decent Momsen AL329, paid R10500 at the time though, which she loved and it improved her riding no end. Even entered a few races!! On the Nomad she was reduced to tears numerous times and very nearly gave up cycling.

It's a terrible predicament unfortunately.

Good luck.

A good set of V brakes are better than mechanical disk brakes, unfortunately even new decent entry level bikes don't have V brakes.

Wise to see if the bug bites before spending a lot of money, bikes lose value quite quickly. As mentioned look 2nd hand but get someone to check the bike out.  

Hi Monique,

My wife was in a similar position a few years ago. I bought her a Nomad 40, if I recall it was an Axis. It was a terrible bike, brakes would rub on meaning she was always pedalling twice as hard for he same distance. The components were equally "budget parts".

I paid R3800 brand new for the bike at the time.

What I am saying is that R2000 is a very low budget, unfortunately spending that amount to "get the hang of it" can ultimately give a very false impression of the sport and ruin it for you.

We ended up selling the Nomad for next to nothing and buying a decent Momsen AL329, paid R10500 at the time though, which she loved and it improved her riding no end. Even entered a few races!! On the Nomad she was reduced to tears numerous times and very nearly gave up cycling.

It's a terrible predicament unfortunately.

Good luck.

The Nomads are Reighley.  My wife has a Nomad 80 which was R3000 new.  I used it for about a year before i bought my own bike.  Was decent enough to get me hooked.  Had disk brakes and front suspension. Was heavy as hell but worked just fine.

Realistic - Spend R3500 to R5000 for something in the secondhand market and enjoy that for a while. if nothing else just also get a helmet.

I know it is tough but I was gonna do the same when I started and eventually went with a better bike and payed R5000 and I loved it... wish I could get it back.

My Choice:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172751-giant-terrago-disc/

Others:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172770-raleigh-nomad-mtb/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172510-titan-sport-mountain-bike-l-26er/

If not sold:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172215-gaint-yukon-2003/

If you buy a good second-hand bike on the bikehub for a little more than your budget you will always be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it.

If you buy a new bike for your budget it will really, really be a horrible one and you will lose almost all of your purchase price when you try and sell it because you will not in all honesty be able to sell it with a clear conscience...

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I am going to start seriously looking this weekend, as my time in the week is very limited due to work and learning on my husband's bike in the evening! Will definitely keep you posted and take into consideration all the points made.

A good idea is to go to some places that hire out bikes and do that for a few times and maybe you can try different bikes amd then you will understand what everyone is talking about with regards to a 2 grand bike and a 10 grand bike.

Save a little more for something more decent as guaranteed you will be tossing that 2 grand thing down the mountain and walking back...lol

Archived