Barely keeping up

Hi all

So first up I have a bit of background info and then my question.

I am a 24year old female and I have major trouble getting fit and keeping up with my husband while riding.

I am very small and thin weighing 50kg for my 1,7m frame. I have an entry level axis 27,5" bike. I only got onto a bike for the first time in my life about a week ago. Spent the week learning to balance and turn and did my first mountainside trail yesterday. A gruelling 12km sprint with my much fitter husband.

Today I could barely move at work but decided to hit the road this afternoon. With bleeding thighs from chafing and burning legs I did 3km and gave up. I have hills right around the house so ended up climbing most of the time. Stopped many times and once again frustrating my poor husband.

So here comes the question, how can I make this easier for both of us. Am I eating wrong? How can I get fitter, faster? I did fine on the ride yesterday, but today was absolutely terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Thanx to everyone!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not nearly fast enough and tiring out very quickly. Hills are my worst enemy at the moment. Im stopping every 10 meters

I think you focusing on the wrong stuff if you just learnt to ride a bike a week ago.

First feel comfortable on the bike, focus on balance, steering, gearing and the basics right and eventually that will lead to being faster.

To me the most important thing is to ride at your own pace rather than being concerned about how you fair against others as that ruins the joy. Seeing as though its your husband it can make it a bit more tricky.

Perhaps a few solo rides is a good way to go and get more comfortable or find other woman riders. You can also let hubby ride along ahead of you and you just ride at your own pace and meet up with him later.

Hi Monique.

I'm sure the pros will give you some solid advice on nutrition, training etc..but let me share my experience.

I started riding in 2013, also from not riding a bike in over 20 years, and from a very unfit position, so apart from learning to ride a bike, keeping up was also a mission.

My partner being a guy that lived on a bike as a kid, he couldn't understand why I struggled. There were many domestics out on the trails, screaming, me in tears ... Frustrated.. leading to me riding a lot on my own.

If you just started, you can't expect to just start shredding from the get go, don't try to do too much too soon. I started out riding around the block, bit by bit adding more distance, getting further up the hills without stopping.

Give yourself time to learn how to handle your bike, get more comfortable, and the ability to go longer and faster will come.

There are many ladies groups that you can go ride with without the pressure of your husband for now, maybe not a bad way to start especially if he's a tad impatient.

It gets better :) promise.

best way to get fit is spinning.

if you are chafing you have the wrong clothing (or you are wearing underwear with your shorts)

edit: take is slow, as they say Rome wasn't built in a day

welcome to cycling. 

Remember to rest in between. do not over do it, since it will take away the fun. 

ride shorter rides, and make sure your bike setup is correct. 

If your husband is fit, and you are not, there is no way that you will keep up. accept that and train accordingly. 

Here is your mantra for the next few weeks:

"Rome wasn't built in one day"

Small steps, focus on one aspect at a time and in 6 months your hubby will be watching your rear wheel. Your height and weight is super......in other words your frame is good.....now you just need to develop the engine.

Stay strong

Thanx to all the replies. First up, I am active at work (I'm a hair dresser) so I stand alot, but that's it when it comes to physical activity. I appreciate it hearing that I'm not the only one struggling in the beginning. That helps.

Underwear became a torture device yesterday, so went without today. Unfortunately the damage was already done.

You supposed to start off being comfortable and forget the rest, enjoy it and grow at your pace and then start setting realistic goals or you are going too loose interest . Find your self the right riding partner, the right partner will know when you are being pushed to hard or they will know when you are being lazy,,,,for now enjoy it till you grow into the sport.

Normally us husbands make the worst starting partners ;)

Find a nice patient group of riders, amongst those you will find a partner who will be more than willing to help

Thanx to all the replies. First up, I am active at work (I'm a hair dresser) so I stand alot, but that's it when it comes to physical activity. I appreciate it hearing that I'm not the only one struggling in the beginning. That helps.

Underwear became a torture device yesterday, so went without today. Unfortunately the damage was already done.

Get yourself ladies padded cycling shorts. These are worn without undies.

I was told just get guys ones in the beginning ..don't... Boys bits and girls' bits require padding in different place.

There is a great thick book called the "Mountain Bikers Bible" - a good book, but it boils down to a few bits of advice

- Start slowly otherwise you will get injuries. You don't only have to make your leg muscles stronger, but all your joints, yours hands, your back, your heart.

- Consistency is key. Start with short rides that don't strain you at all. But do them often, 2-3 times a week. Perhaps 5-10km to start. Just conditioning for your whole body. 

-  Make your rides 10-15% longer each month.  Build slowly.

The aim is constant build over time. You don't have to push yourself on each ride. Occasionally it is great. But if you don't get home absolutely poked each time, that is just fine.

Then get your bike set up properly.

Tell your husband to chill. He seems to be the problem here.

Edit: No offence to your husband, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he must just be patient.

Archived