road cycling trip in france, italy and switzerland

rudi-h

We are a few mates that have been doing bike tours for a while.  Seeing that the exchange rate is going one way and doing so quick, we picked 2016 for a serious bucket list adventure!

The draft plan is to fly to Grenoble and to rent a camper van from there for roughly 12 days.  Plan is to spend a few days riding the passes around there, L'Alp de Huez, Col de Madeleine, Col de Iziard and Col de Galibier.  Riding all that warrants a rest day or two in our books, so perhaps a day trip to mont blanc or similar until we've somewhat recovered.

Then up to switzerland, going through the south past the matterhorn.  The next part of the trip isn't as clear cause i haven't done too much homework in Switzerland yet, but would like to finish off with riding the Stelvio before heading south to Italy

That part of italy (north of Milan) doesn't seem to exciting from a cycling point of view, so perhaps skip that part and pick up the route of the Milan Sanremo and ride the part hugging the coast.

A few days off while driving down through nice, toulouse before heading up to the grand finale whilch will be riding up Mont Ventoux.

Is there anybody that has done something similar out there that can give some tips and pointers?

We are a few mates that have been doing bike tours for a while.  Seeing that the exchange rate is going one way and doing so quick, we picked 2016 for a serious bucket list adventure!

The draft plan is to fly to Grenoble and to rent a camper van from there for roughly 12 days.  Plan is to spend a few days riding the passes around there, L'Alp de Huez, Col de Madeleine, Col de Iziard and Col de Galibier.  Riding all that warrants a rest day or two in our books, so perhaps a day trip to mont blanc or similar until we've somewhat recovered.

Then up to switzerland, going through the south past the matterhorn.  The next part of the trip isn't as clear cause i haven't done too much homework in Switzerland yet, but would like to finish off with riding the Stelvio before heading south to Italy

That part of italy (north of Milan) doesn't seem to exciting from a cycling point of view, so perhaps skip that part and pick up the route of the Milan Sanremo and ride the part hugging the coast.

A few days off while driving down through nice, toulouse before heading up to the grand finale whilch will be riding up Mont Ventoux.

Is there anybody that has done something similar out there that can give some tips and pointers?

I could recommend this:

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Camping+RCN+Belledonne/@45.1135882,6.0075787,1655m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x8c938f125b83e7ee!6m1!1e1?hl=en

I used this camp site more than once as a base to do those  - and there are loads more to cycle even closer to/from 'base'.

I stayed as long as 10 days and could cycle a different route/pass every day.

Loads of rest day options.

Dutch owner, so the language barrier is easier.

Let me know if you need more maps of routes etc.

Have not done anything like that ,but would love to !

We've spent 2 summers in northern Italy around the Lake Garda area and I couldn't recommend it more for cycling, both road and MTB. They live and breathe cycling in this area and you can quite easily find a local that would be willing to take you on some epic rides by visiting one of the bike shops if you need a guide. The loop around the lake is stunning too, but can be quite busy in parts during the day. The people drive quite carefully near cyclists which I can't vouch for in the rest of Italy.

One of my favourite rides was the Croce Domini pass. About 1400m of climbing with a cool little restaurant at the end. There is also some incredible riding up near Bolzano with views of the Dolomites.

Check this video out if you are still not convinced:

We've spent 2 summers in northern Italy around the Lake Garda area and I couldn't recommend it more for cycling, both road and MTB. They live and breathe cycling in this area and you can quite easily find a local that would be willing to take you on some epic rides by visiting one of the bike shops if you need a guide. The loop around the lake is stunning too, but can be quite busy in parts during the day. The people drive quite carefully near cyclists which I can't vouch for in the rest of Italy.

One of my favourite rides was the Croce Domini pass. About 1400m of climbing with a cool little restaurant at the end. There is also some incredible riding up near Bolzano with views of the Dolomites.

Check this video out if you are still not convinced:

sheesh, this almost makes me want to become a roadie!

There are equally amazing MTB trails. The Transalps ends at Riva Del Garda and passes through those mountains. We were there for a combined total of 5 months for mountain biking mostly and I don't think I ever rode the same route twice!

Grenoble is a cool big town and close-ish to the big climbs, HOWEVER the small village of Bourg d'Oisans is perfectly situated right at the base of Alpe d'Huez (literally your legs will still be cold when the sufferfest commences) and its also possible to use as a base for rides to Croix de Fer, Galibier and more.

A group of friends and myself did a ride called London2Paris last year and it was fantastic . This year the company Hol Chille is organizing 2 events back to back, London2Paris and Alpine Challenge . Worth having a look . I highly recommend these events. Look them up on the web. Pretty awesome events.   

Thanks for the info!  I'd like to send some PM's to all those who responded with some valuable info when i get to my personal stuff later this week.  Getting excited!

Grenoble is a cool big town and close-ish to the big climbs, HOWEVER the small village of Bourg d'Oisans is perfectly situated right at the base of Alpe d'Huez (literally your legs will still be cold when the sufferfest commences) and its also possible to use as a base for rides to Croix de Fer, Galibier and more.

Yes I did this last year. But I could only do Alpe d'Huez. Bourg will be a nice spot to stay for a few days.

I do cycling trips to the Alps and Alp Maritimes at least once every two years. I agree ...Le Bourg -d' Oisans is best for your stay while in the Alps.

I  base in a little village outside Briancon . Also gives the option of climbing Sestriere . Do visit the ancient village in Briancon

The loops that can be cycled are endless and can include other cols too because of the close proximity.

1) To get the most of your day's ride ,plan your training routes in advance. There are so many route options that one can waste a lot of time planning one's day's ride only once  there.

2) Your idea of heading to San Remo  may turnout to be more enjoyable. A local bike shop occasional had a group ride with one or two local pros in the area. (Lampre riders at the time). You bound to see some pros training on these roads.

3) Col De Turini in Nice is an absolute MUST. Featured in Goldeneye, Ronin and Topgear were not wrong when they rated it as one of the best roads in Europe.

Have a great time guys   

post-65014-0-22761500-1453891789_thumb.jpg

sheesh, this almost makes me want to become a roadie!

My back hurts watching that, the dude seems to spend a lot of time standing....its a sign

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I was cycling in and around Lake Iseo (near Bergamo), lovely place, great roads when I bumped  in to John-Lee Augustyn! He lives in Italy and is head guide for a company out there. They might be worth a shout as the guys he was guiding for seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I would recommend Montecampione and Vigolo as climbs worth trying if in that area. I read in Froomes book he used the area to train for TdF when riding for BWorld.

Enjoy the ride!

Archived