[Event] 2016 Rudy Project Berge en Dale Classic

the_roadie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodie bag a tad disappointing and for me with the broken traffic lights was a 3 hour round trip...plus around 6 liters of fuel.... Not a cheap event..

Does anybody know where to go and pick up the race numbers. In one of the emails that ASG sent out, it said Cradlestone mall. Any idea where in the mall?

Going to do a 1.5 hour drive just to get a number. Great.

There are signs up as you enter the open parking, but if you miss those, head to entrance 5,catch the lift or escalator to the top floor.

There are signs up as you enter the open parking, but if you miss those, head to entrance 5,catch the lift or escalator to the top floor.

Sounds like you now turn right at the satellite dish towards Kloofzicht (previously you went straight down Beyers, over the N14, turn right past Carnivores and get onto the N14 at the Spaza shop for the drag up to the mall)

So its right at the satellite, down the hill, watch out for the circle, up the two bumps to Kloofzicht, then left towards Avianto and onto the N14 at the Spaza shop.

Sounds like you now turn right at the satellite dish towards Kloofzicht (previously you went straight down Beyers, over the N14, turn right past Carnivores and get onto the N14 at the Spaza shop for the drag up to the mall)

So its right at the satellite, down the hill, watch out for the circle, up the two bumps to Kloofzicht, then left towards Avianto and onto the N14 at the Spaza shop.

Yena lo

OK. Late entry done by a friend. Will hang (Wheelsuck) around the back of AL going up Hillsnacks.

The problem is that we need a central database where all the results are kept so that we can have a true seeding database.

If all these guys sent their data to one databse for seeding, it would be great. Its only a matter of time before somebody fills that gap... this is something CSA should look at.

It's on my to do list to address with our provincial Union - 90% of the races we do are GP based, so start here and it makes a huge difference.

Once the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic race is complete and I can surface for some air, expect to hear from me to gather support.

I haven't done this race in years purely because I just haven't been racing. When I saw the entry fee of R345 I almost decided against entering again but did so anyway.

R345 is a lot. While I did not enter this race for a loaded goodie bag, I was left surprised when, yesterday afternoon, when I picked up my race number, that was all I got. Just the number. No safety pins, no pamphlets, nothing but a number. Perhaps I've been spoilt by some of the off-road races of late which have spoilt us in this regard. There will probably be no shortage of pamphlets stuffed under my car's wiper blades come race day.

It is a fact though that costs have increase everywhere, so we can't expect to pay 2006 prices. These costs are passed on to us, and as mentioned in a previous post, road races are not exactly that popular anymore. MTB races have also become pricy.

So I'll reserve final judgement until after the race once I've been able to experience all the elements (safety, water points etc.)

Regarding seeding and number collection. I do not believe that seeding should be managed by an event's company. Surely this should be handled on a provincial level if not national. What is the purpose of CGC again? These seeding statistics should then be made available to any official event.

The trouble is the capturing of these statistics is handled by private companies so it cannot easily be centralised into an official cycling body, unless said cycling body subcontracts these services.

Number collection at only one venue is certainly not great. There is a well known cycling store in almost every suburb. Perhaps, as part of the event registration process, cyclist could pick a collection point from a list of these shops. The numbers could then be distributed to these collection points. Any late entries can be handled on the day and queries regarding reseeding via telephone or, better yet, a web portal.

Anyway. It's going to be a hard day in the saddle. I'm preparing mentally for that half nelson bum-lock.

cut, cut, cut...

Regarding seeding and number collection. I do not believe that seeding should be managed by an event's company. Surely this should be handled on a provincial level if not national. What is the purpose of CGC again? These seeding statistics should then be made available to any official event..

If I had a penny for everything someone asked that question..... I will be on the Fortune 500 list - top ten at least. 

Can someone tell me where parking is for Sat? Is it at the mall?

Yes, it was stated in the first email